Coffee Break Collection #30 - Mythical Creatures - Lt

Short Poetry Collections, Short Story Collections, and our Weekly Poetry Project
msfry

Post by msfry » February 10th, 2021, 1:56 pm

Honeysicle wrote:
February 10th, 2021, 1:18 pm
Hello msfry,

Im new here and I want to start out small and work my way up. The topic of Mythical Creatures seems interesting to me. Im not sure how the project you posted works and would like support. Is it that I choose a short story thats 15 minutes or less, record the audio, then post the audio and its corresponding short story here in this forum for review?
Hello, Honeysicle! Welcome to Librivox. To help you get around a bit, you will find almost all you need to know about any project by reading the First Post (FP), which is organized by the Book Coordinator (BC) of each project. While every FP is similar, there are always differences you need to take note of. Text source, Prooflistening standard, Intro and Outro verbiage, sometimes a pronunciation guide for certain words and how to handle footnotes, file name (I recommend you always copy and paste this, changing just as required to make your file unique), what folder to upload your file to, etc. In our Collections series (there are many - short stories, ghost and horror, first chapters, non-fiction, sci-fi, coffee break, etc.), you get to pick a story of your choice (the text must clearly be in the Public Domain and on topic of course), upload it per instructions, and post it to the forum with the required information. Some collections limit a reader to 3 stories, others don't. The key is to read that First Post.

Coffee Break stories are max around 15-18 minutes, in most other collections stories can go 60-70 minutes, or may be divided into two sections if longer than that. A story of 2500 words or less safely comes in under 15 minutes. When in doubt, copy your text into a Word doc. It will give you a word count in the lower left corner. You may have to highlight the text first and click in the box.

Gutenberg and Internet Archive are trusted sources for Public Domain texts. Hiatha Trust also publishes PD works, but you have to verify the year of publication.

I look forward to having you join in.
Last edited by msfry on February 11th, 2021, 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michele Fry, CC
"There is no frigate like a book to take us lands away, Nor any coursers like a page of prancing poetry." ~ Emily Dickinson

Love Stories #4
Coffee Break Collection #30 - Mythical Creatures

msfry

Post by msfry » February 11th, 2021, 8:20 am

CoyotesGrin wrote:
February 7th, 2021, 10:53 pm
msfry wrote:
February 1st, 2021, 8:21 am
PL Notes: Tokgabi and His Pranks
Thank you Louis. Cute story, well recorded, clear audio, nice voice. I hope I spelled your name right. One note:
Intro is missing the underlined part: Title of story by author. Coffee Break Collection 30 - Mythical Creatures. This is a LibriVox recording.

Add that in and re-upload using the same file name, then post the link with its new time on this forum. Thanks
Thanks for letting me know. I'm new here and the only ones I've done so far didn't need the collection, so I'll have to take a closer eye at how the intros vary between projects.

Here's the reuploaded version. https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/cbc30_tokgabiandhispranks_griffis_lw_128kb.mp3

I didn't want to re-record the whole thing, so the tone of the coffee break part sounds a little different, but I'm hoping it fits well enough.
Indeed, no need to re-record an entire file just to add in a missed word or line, or we'd never get anything finished! Tokgabi is PL OK :D

Your addition sounds fine. Here are a few tips for matching up your voice (in Audacity) when recording on a different day, place, barometric pressure, etc.
1.) Learn to use these Effects: Amplify, Pitch, Bass and Treble, and Tempo to make slight changes in voice.
2.) Record a bit more of the surrounding text (not just one word), paste in where the change needs to go, then feather the new text in both front and back where the overlapping words sound most similar. If you don't know how to preview your cuts before you make them, view this short video: Use the C Key before you Cut
Michele Fry, CC
"There is no frigate like a book to take us lands away, Nor any coursers like a page of prancing poetry." ~ Emily Dickinson

Love Stories #4

Honeysicle

Post by Honeysicle » February 11th, 2021, 2:00 pm

msfry wrote:
February 10th, 2021, 1:56 pm
Honeysicle wrote:
February 10th, 2021, 1:18 pm
Hello msfry,

Im new here and I want to start out small and work my way up. The topic of Mythical Creatures seems interesting to me. Im not sure how the project you posted works and would like support. Is it that I choose a short story thats 15 minutes or less, record the audio, then post the audio and its corresponding short story here in this forum for review?
Hello, Honeysicle! Welcome to Librivox. To help you get around a bit, you will find almost all you need to know about any project by reading the First Post (FP), which is organized by the Book Coordinator (BC) of each project. While every FP is similar, there are always differences you need to take note of. Text source, Prooflistening standard, Intro and Outro verbiage, sometimes a pronunciation guide for certain words and how to handle footnotes, file name (I recommend you always copy and paste this, changing just as required to make your file unique), what folder to upload your file to, etc. In our Collections series (there are many - short stories, ghost and horror, first chapters, non-fiction, sci-fi, coffee break, etc.), you get to pick a story of your choice (the text must clearly be in the Public Domain and on topic of course), upload it per instructions, and post it to the forum with the required information. Some collections limit a reader to 3 stories, others don't. The key is to read that First Post.

Coffee Break stories are max around 15-18 minutes, in most other collections stories can go 60-70 minutes, or may be divided into two sections if longer than that. A story of 2500 words or less safely comes in under 15 minutes. When in doubt, copy your text into a Word doc. It will give you a word count in the lower left corner. You may have to highlight the text first and click in the box.

Gutenberg and Internet Archive are trusted sources for Public Domain texts. Hiatha Trust also publishes PD works, but you have to verify the year of publication.

I look forward to having you join in.
Thanks for the information! Ive created a recording, and youll find the information below:

Title: The Phoenix Bird
Author: Hans Christian Andersen, 1805-1875
Source:https://www.gutenberg.org/files/27200/27200-h/27200-h.htm#phoenix
Recording: https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/cbc30_phoenixbird_vm_128kb.mp3
Length: 03:46
Vincent Maraldo

LibriVox recordings

kharrelson

Post by kharrelson » February 11th, 2021, 3:19 pm

msfry wrote:
February 10th, 2021, 11:21 am
PL Notes: In Praise of Unicorns

Volume, Background Noise and tech specs check out within range. Tempo and overall quality is much better! Thank you for re-recording.
Just a few notes to make all OK:

Intro and Outro, You can delete "Unicorns, Chapter 1" from both, as there is no need to quote which book this famous story came from.
5:05 Repeat, "What title shall we give that faraway time"
Hi there! Thanks for listening and feedback. I re-recorded both the intro and outro and replaced the originals with those new ones. To be honest, it causes a little tonal difference from the body of the recording that I'm not thrilled with, but since it's just the intro and outro anyway, hopefully it'll be okay! I also found and removed the repeat. :thumbs: This is the first time I've done any "splicing" of tracks, so if something went whacky, please let me know! Uploaded under the same file name, but new recording:

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/cbc30_unicorns_kh_128kb.mp3
Kayty Harrelson l Recording on Audacity
"People say that life is the thing, but I prefer reading." —Logan Pearsall Smith

msfry

Post by msfry » February 11th, 2021, 4:02 pm

PL Notes for The Phoenix Bird

This is a charming story, which I've never heard before. You read it charmingly, too. Tech specs all good. Just a few things to attend to:

:17-:20 and 3:32-7, 4 seconds and 5.5 seconds respectively, is deemed a bit too long for a silence. Once in a great while a long long silence is appropriate, like after a great shock or an emotional death scene, but usually listeners just begin to think their equipment has mal-functioned. I think it would help here to cut out a few seconds from each instance.

Outro: LV asks for a 5 second silence at the end. Just copy a few seconds of silence from the outro, and paste them in for a perfect match.

Make your repairs, upload for spot PL, and post notice here when this is done. Thank you.

And since this is your first recording for LV, please let me know what name you'd like to appear in our catalog next to each of your recordings. It can be your username, Honeysicle, or perhaps you'd prefer your real name, or even another name. Here's an example page of what visitors see when they look at a completed group project in our catalog, and a variety of reader names. https://librivox.org/first-chapter-collection-07-by-various/
Michele Fry, CC

Love Stories #4

msfry

Post by msfry » February 11th, 2021, 4:40 pm

kharrelson wrote:
February 11th, 2021, 3:19 pm
msfry wrote:

Volume, Background Noise and tech specs check out within range. Tempo and overall quality is much better! Thank you for re-recording.

Intro and Outro, You can delete "Unicorns, Chapter 1" from both, as there is no need to quote which book this famous story came from.
Hi there! Thanks for listening and feedback. I re-recorded both the intro and outro and replaced the originals with those new ones. To be honest, it causes a little tonal difference from the body of the recording that I'm not thrilled with, but since it's just the intro and outro anyway, hopefully it'll be okay! I also found and removed the repeat. :thumbs: This is the first time I've done any "splicing" of tracks, so if something went whacky, please let me know! Uploaded under the same file name, but new recording:

Actually, you didn't need to re-record anything. My suggestion was simply to delete "Unicorns, Chapter 1" from both places. But since you did, and since both Intro and Outro are at a much higher volume than the rest of the recording, I now recommend the following: In Audacity, go Effects/Amplify and reduce by -10 to make these new bits better match the story. If you don't use Audacity, there will be another way to match the volumes of the old and new sections. Alas I can't help you with that as I only use Audacity.
Michele Fry, CC

Love Stories #4

Honeysicle

Post by Honeysicle » February 12th, 2021, 5:35 am

msfry wrote:
February 11th, 2021, 4:02 pm
PL Notes for The Phoenix Bird

This is a charming story, which I've never heard before. You read it charmingly, too. Tech specs all good. Just a few things to attend to:

:17-:20 and 3:32-7, 4 seconds and 5.5 seconds respectively, is deemed a bit too long for a silence. Once in a great while a long long silence is appropriate, like after a great shock or an emotional death scene, but usually listeners just begin to think their equipment has mal-functioned. I think it would help here to cut out a few seconds from each instance.

Outro: LV asks for a 5 second silence at the end. Just copy a few seconds of silence from the outro, and paste them in for a perfect match.

Make your repairs, upload for spot PL, and post notice here when this is done. Thank you.

And since this is your first recording for LV, please let me know what name you'd like to appear in our catalog next to each of your recordings. It can be your username, Honeysicle, or perhaps you'd prefer your real name, or even another name. Here's an example page of what visitors see when they look at a completed group project in our catalog, and a variety of reader names. https://librivox.org/first-chapter-collection-07-by-various/
Thank you for the comments and suggestions. Ive removed some time from :17-:20 and 3:32-7 so that there isnt a long pause. I also added in some time at the end to get it around 5 seconds silence at the end. In the future, Ill make an effort to keep my eye out for long pauses and 5 seconds of silence at the end. Below you can find the new upload:

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/cbc30_phoenixbird_vm_128kb.mp3

The new time is: 03:42

Also, I would like my name to appear as: Vincent Maraldo
Vincent Maraldo

LibriVox recordings

msfry

Post by msfry » February 12th, 2021, 8:03 am

Phoenix Bird is PL OK, and your name is now in our catalog. Congratulations on your first recording here, Vincent. Hopefully you found the process enjoyable and will head over to our Readers Wanted forums and sign up for more sections. There is plenty to choose from. I suggest starting with shorter pieces (under 2000 words).

You might want to visit your Control Panel (drop down arrow in upper right corner of any forum page, next to your username) and set up an automatic signature (see mine below) so people can address you by your real name, see your web address, projects, quote, crits/comments preferences, etc. Also designate how you want to receive notices (via email or forum notifications). Poke around for many interesting things you can personalize.
Michele Fry, CC

Love Stories #4

thomhaire

Post by thomhaire » February 12th, 2021, 8:17 am

I have a piece. Should I go ahead and record then upload with the requested info from the main page?

msfry

Post by msfry » February 12th, 2021, 8:36 am

thomhaire wrote:
February 12th, 2021, 8:17 am
I have a piece. Should I go ahead and record then upload with the requested info from the main page?
Yes, that's how it works. Be sure to read the First Post for details.
Michele Fry, CC

Love Stories #4

JoannaRosey

Post by JoannaRosey » February 12th, 2021, 11:33 am

Hello! I have a Goblin story for you here:

The Goblin of Adachigahara
by Sadanami Sanjin (1870 - 1933)
Translated and compiled by Yei Theodora Ozaki (1870 - 1932)
https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/4018
https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/cbc30_goblinofadachigahara_js_128kb.mp3
10:16
Thank you,
Joanna

JoannaRosey

Post by JoannaRosey » February 12th, 2021, 12:27 pm

Hello, Here is one more - about Ogres:

The Ogre of Rashomon
by Sadanami Sanjin (1870 - 1933)
Translated and compiled by Yei Theodora Ozaki (1870 - 1932)
https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/4018
https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/cbc30_ogreofrashoman_js_128kb.mp3
13:30
Thank you,
Joanna

msfry

Post by msfry » February 12th, 2021, 1:00 pm

Oooooh. Rrrrrrrrr. Goblins. Ogres. Yyyyyyyyesssss!
Michele Fry, CC

Love Stories #4

kharrelson

Post by kharrelson » February 12th, 2021, 4:53 pm

msfry wrote:
February 11th, 2021, 4:40 pm
kharrelson wrote:
February 11th, 2021, 3:19 pm
msfry wrote:

Actually, you didn't need to re-record anything. My suggestion was simply to delete "Unicorns, Chapter 1" from both places. But since you did, and since both Intro and Outro are at a much higher volume than the rest of the recording, I now recommend the following: In Audacity, go Effects/Amplify and reduce by -10 to make these new bits better match the story. If you don't use Audacity, there will be another way to match the volumes of the old and new sections. Alas I can't help you with that as I only use Audacity.
Oh dear, that would have been a much easier way to fix that problem- oops! :oops: Good news is that I use Audacity and was able to follow your directions to drop the volume on those two segments. Thank you so much for being so gracious and patient with me! Here is the file again, with the intro and outro volume issues addressed:

Kayty Harrelson l Recording on Audacity
"People say that life is the thing, but I prefer reading." —Logan Pearsall Smith

msfry

Post by msfry » February 12th, 2021, 9:57 pm

In Praise of Unicorns is PL OK.
Michele Fry, CC

Love Stories #4