Coffee Break Collection #30 - Mythical Creatures - Lt

Short Poetry Collections, Short Story Collections, and our Weekly Poetry Project
kharrelson

Post by kharrelson » February 1st, 2021, 11:12 am

Hello! My name is Kayty. I'm new to LibriVox and wanted to give a short recording a go. I found a piece on unicorns and recorded it. Hopefully it fits the criteria of this project. Here's all the info :) I'd like my catalog name to be Kayty Harrelson.

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/cbc30_unicorns_kh_128kb.mp3 05:25
Unicorns, Chapter One: In Praise of Unicorns
James Huneker; January 31, 1857 – February 9, 1921
https://www.gutenberg.org/files/39116/39116-h/39116-h.htm

Thanks!
Kayty Harrelson l Recording on Audacity
"People say that life is the thing, but I prefer reading." —Logan Pearsall Smith

msfry

Post by msfry » February 1st, 2021, 12:55 pm

Hello, Kayty I look forward to listening about my favorite mythical creature - the unicorn. I've entered you into the LV catalog now and your offering is listed in the Magic Window on Page 1.
Michele Fry, CC
"There is no frigate like a book to take us lands away, Nor any coursers like a page of prancing poetry." ~ Emily Dickinson

Love Stories #4
Coffee Break Collection #30 - Mythical Creatures

msfry

Post by msfry » February 1st, 2021, 6:08 pm

Hello again, Kayty

I have listened to your file and make the following notations:
- Most (not all) readers pronounce Librivox as 'Lee-Bruh-Vox.
- Volume at 83.3dB falls outside the range for a Librivox recording. If you use Audacity, you can go Effects/Amplify/+4.7, to reach our median 89dB
- You should leave 5 seconds of silence at the end of your recording, which ensures that the end won't be cut off by some listener's mp3 or podcast players. This also gives you several seconds to grab as a sample you will need to reduce any background noise.
-Throughout, there is a tick tick tick tick tick tick background noise which seems generated from within your audio equipment (much faster than the second hand on a clock, for instance). I dont' know what that is but I grabbed your first second of silence, duplicated it 3 times to get about 4 seconds to sample, and using Effects/Noise Reduction/settings 12,6,3,Reduce, was able to eliminate that noise.
-You talk quite rapidly, which increases as you read along until the words almost overlap, and that seems to make you stutter.

I hope you will re-record this piece at a higher volume and slower pace, edit out any st-stutters, and resubmit. It isn't too long so it shouldn't be too hard.

This is a wonderful story and your voice quality is just fine. It takes most everyone several tries to work out the technical kinks.
Michele Fry, CC
"There is no frigate like a book to take us lands away, Nor any coursers like a page of prancing poetry." ~ Emily Dickinson

Love Stories #4

msfry

Post by msfry » February 2nd, 2021, 10:45 am

Piotr, I am running into grief over your 2 part story. Apparently this violates some standard set way back in 2008 that I knew nothing about (I've only BC'd the Coffee Breaks Collections for one year). Lynne and I have developed a work-around since you've already submitted it here in good faith, but you'll have to take off the Part 1 and Part 2 from your intro and outro, and rename the stories as I've indicated in the Magic Window. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Michele Fry, CC

Love Stories #4

kharrelson

Post by kharrelson » February 4th, 2021, 1:02 pm

msfry wrote:
February 1st, 2021, 6:08 pm
Hello again, Kayty

I have listened to your file and make the following notations:
- Most (not all) readers pronounce Librivox as 'Lee-Bruh-Vox.
- Volume at 83.3dB falls outside the range for a Librivox recording. If you use Audacity, you can go Effects/Amplify/+4.7, to reach our median 89dB
- You should leave 5 seconds of silence at the end of your recording, which ensures that the end won't be cut off by some listener's mp3 or podcast players. This also gives you several seconds to grab as a sample you will need to reduce any background noise.
-Throughout, there is a tick tick tick tick tick tick background noise which seems generated from within your audio equipment (much faster than the second hand on a clock, for instance). I dont' know what that is but I grabbed your first second of silence, duplicated it 3 times to get about 4 seconds to sample, and using Effects/Noise Reduction/settings 12,6,3,Reduce, was able to eliminate that noise.
-You talk quite rapidly, which increases as you read along until the words almost overlap, and that seems to make you stutter.

I hope you will re-record this piece at a higher volume and slower pace, edit out any st-stutters, and resubmit. It isn't too long so it shouldn't be too hard.

This is a wonderful story and your voice quality is just fine. It takes most everyone several tries to work out the technical kinks.
Ah, thank you so much for the helpful feedback. I'm quite new to trying to record (as I'm sure you can tell). I was worried I was reading too fast. :oops: I'll certainly re-record with your input and hopefully the next go-round is better! I'll post back here once I've done it. Thanks again!
"People say that life is the thing, but I prefer reading." —Logan Pearsall Smith

msfry

Post by msfry » February 4th, 2021, 1:08 pm

kharrelson wrote:
February 4th, 2021, 1:02 pm
Ah, thank you so much for the helpful feedback. I'm quite new to trying to record (as I'm sure you can tell). I was worried I was reading too fast. :oops: I'll certainly re-record with your input and hopefully the next go-round is better! I'll post back here once I've done it. Thanks again!
Been there done that myself. It will soon become easier, so don't give up, and we are mostly all amateurs, very patient and forgiving as we try to perfect our skills. It is helpful that you accept coaching so gracefully. :D
Michele Fry, CC

Love Stories #4

ColleenMc

Post by ColleenMc » February 7th, 2021, 10:32 am

Here is one from me:

Bride of the Man-Horse by Lord Dunsany

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/cbc30_brideofmanhorse_cm_128kb.mp3

11:13

Source: http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/7477

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai

msfry

Post by msfry » February 7th, 2021, 2:18 pm

Ah, Lord Dunsany, one of my favorites! Thanks for contributing that majestic (if oh so chauvinistic) Man-Horse!!! PL OK.
Michele Fry, CC

Love Stories #4

Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 » February 7th, 2021, 2:23 pm

msfry wrote:
February 2nd, 2021, 10:45 am
Piotr, I am running into grief over your 2 part story. Apparently this violates some standard set way back in 2008 that I knew nothing about (I've only BC'd the Coffee Breaks Collections for one year). Lynne and I have developed a work-around since you've already submitted it here in good faith, but you'll have to take off the Part 1 and Part 2 from your intro and outro, and rename the stories as I've indicated in the Magic Window. Sorry for the inconvenience.
OK then :) I was wondering why you renamed them this way in the MW. I'll fix them and re-submit tomorrow.
Come help us record The Deluge THE DELUGE IS BACK!
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS

CoyotesGrin

Post by CoyotesGrin » February 7th, 2021, 10:53 pm

msfry wrote:
February 1st, 2021, 8:21 am
PL Notes: Tokgabi and His Pranks
Thank you Louis. Cute story, well recorded, clear audio, nice voice. I hope I spelled your name right. One note:
Intro is missing the underlined part: Title of story by author. Coffee Break Collection 30 - Mythical Creatures. This is a LibriVox recording.

Add that in and re-upload using the same file name, then post the link with its new time on this forum. Thanks
Thanks for letting me know. I'm new here and the only ones I've done so far didn't need the collection, so I'll have to take a closer eye at how the intros vary between projects.

Here's the reuploaded version. https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/cbc30_tokgabiandhispranks_griffis_lw_128kb.mp3

I didn't want to re-record the whole thing, so the tone of the coffee break part sounds a little different, but I'm hoping it fits well enough.

kharrelson

Post by kharrelson » February 8th, 2021, 1:12 pm

Hello again! I've just finished rerecording my submission with all the helpful feedback you and others have provided! I hope this go round will meet all standards, but please let me know if I need to do anything differently. The file name is the same, but I've updated the recording!

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/cbc30_unicorns_kh_128kb.mp3 6:03
Unicorns, Chapter One: In Praise of Unicorns
James Huneker; January 31, 1857 – February 9, 1921
https://www.gutenberg.org/files/39116/39116-h/39116-h.htm

Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 » February 8th, 2021, 1:34 pm

Re-uploaded with changed titles. The new duration changed by a second (16:17 for pt. 1 and 18:13 for testimonials)
Come help us record The Deluge THE DELUGE IS BACK!
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS

msfry

Post by msfry » February 10th, 2021, 11:17 am

Thanks, Piotr. Both selections are PL OK.
Michele Fry, CC

Love Stories #4

msfry

Post by msfry » February 10th, 2021, 11:21 am

PL Notes: In Praise of Unicorns

Volume, Background Noise and tech specs check out within range. Tempo and overall quality is much better! Thank you for re-recording.
Just a few notes to make all OK:

Intro and Outro, You can delete "Unicorns, Chapter 1" from both, as there is no need to quote which book this famous story came from.
5:05 Repeat, "What title shall we give that faraway time"
Michele Fry, CC

Love Stories #4

Honeysicle

Post by Honeysicle » February 10th, 2021, 1:18 pm

Hello msfry,

Im new here and I want to start out small and work my way up. The topic of Mythical Creatures seems interesting to me. Im not sure how the project you posted works and would like support. Is it that I choose a short story thats 15 minutes or less, record the audio, then post the audio and its corresponding short story here in this forum for review?
Vincent Maraldo

LibriVox recordings