[POETRY] Anthology of Massachusetts Poets by William Stanley Braithwaite-mas

Short Poetry Collections, Short Story Collections, and our Weekly Poetry Project
Post Reply
silverquill
Posts: 16693
Joined: May 25th, 2013, 9:11 pm
Location: Pittsfield, New Hampshire USA

Post by silverquill » January 16th, 2021, 9:59 pm

Tsinaymel wrote:
January 16th, 2021, 1:22 pm

Ran MP3Gain to correct volume in each file. Ran checker. Files reuploaded. These "should" be ok now. Will check back to make sure all reach PL OK in MW. Thanks!
Thanks!
These all check out except Section 50 that still comes in at only 84.5 dB on Checker.
~ Larry

PSHarvey106
Posts: 372
Joined: November 17th, 2020, 10:56 pm

Post by PSHarvey106 » January 17th, 2021, 12:18 am

Paul

Tsinaymel
Posts: 55
Joined: November 27th, 2020, 5:29 am

Post by Tsinaymel » January 17th, 2021, 7:45 am

silverquill wrote:
January 16th, 2021, 9:59 pm
Tsinaymel wrote:
January 16th, 2021, 1:22 pm

Ran MP3Gain to correct volume in each file. Ran checker. Files reuploaded. These "should" be ok now. Will check back to make sure all reach PL OK in MW. Thanks!
Thanks!
These all check out except Section 50 that still comes in at only 84.5 dB on Checker.
Oops. I missed 50. Volume corrected and file reuploaded. (I was processing en masse and failed to include 50.) Thanks for your patience.

NoelVox
Posts: 37
Joined: July 13th, 2020, 2:52 pm

Post by NoelVox » January 17th, 2021, 3:28 pm


silverquill
Posts: 16693
Joined: May 25th, 2013, 9:11 pm
Location: Pittsfield, New Hampshire USA

Post by silverquill » January 17th, 2021, 11:59 pm

Tsinaymel wrote:
January 17th, 2021, 7:45 am

Oops. I missed 50. Volume corrected and file reuploaded. (I was processing en masse and failed to include 50.) Thanks for your patience.
All PL OK now!
Thanks.
~ Larry

silverquill
Posts: 16693
Joined: May 25th, 2013, 9:11 pm
Location: Pittsfield, New Hampshire USA

Post by silverquill » January 17th, 2021, 11:59 pm

Thank you, Paul!
These are all PL OK.
~ Larry

silverquill
Posts: 16693
Joined: May 25th, 2013, 9:11 pm
Location: Pittsfield, New Hampshire USA

Post by silverquill » January 18th, 2021, 12:07 am

Just a couple of technical issues.
First, section 4 has an incorrect file name. We need the leasing zero so it will sort correctly, so is should be _04_
That one could also use an additional second of silence at the end to bring it closer to 5 seconds.

And, both of these are too low in volume. Our target is 89 dB with a range of 86-91 dB. One of these is a bit under that and the other just barely above 86 dB. So they could bout be amplified by about 3 dB

Just a general comment about the audio. I can't quite put my finger on it, but is seems somehow muffled. I'm not sure what your set up is our if you hear the same thing, so I don't know quite what to suggest.

Anyway, please make the above corrections, upload with the same file name (correcting for _04_ of course) and post the links here again and I will check them again.,

=============
Here are two programs that I use to adjust the volume of recordings:

1. CHECKER
https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Checker>CHECKER.

This little program was written specifically for LibriVox, and is very easy to use.
Just drag your file to the Checker window, and it will quickly check it for all LibriVox specifications and give you a report.

One of the measurements is the volume in decibels. Use the Amplify feature under the Effect menu in Audacity to adjust the volume, by setting the value to plus or minus to bring the recording close to the LV target of 89 dB.

2. ReplayGain
https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Measuring_Volume_within_Audacity

This article will introduce you to ReplayGain, which is a plugin specifically for Audacity. There is a link to download it and a link to a tutorial on how to use it. Once installed, it is easy to use. Depending on your version of Audacity, it will appear either in the Analyze menu or the Effects menu. ReplayGain can be selected to analyze the recording, giving a reading of how many decibels, plus or minus, that the recording is off from the target. It is then easy to use the Audacity Amplify feature to make the adjustment before exporting the file.
~ Larry

PSHarvey106
Posts: 372
Joined: November 17th, 2020, 10:56 pm

Post by PSHarvey106 » January 18th, 2021, 3:09 am

silverquill wrote:
January 17th, 2021, 11:59 pm
Thank you, Paul!
These are all PL OK.
Hi Larry,

Thank you. I was wondering about section 20 on the MW, whether it needed any changes since it was listed as Ready for PL? Thanks.
Paul

silverquill
Posts: 16693
Joined: May 25th, 2013, 9:11 pm
Location: Pittsfield, New Hampshire USA

Post by silverquill » January 18th, 2021, 9:35 am

PSHarvey106 wrote:
January 18th, 2021, 3:09 am

Hi Larry,

Thank you. I was wondering about section 20 on the MW, whether it needed any changes since it was listed as Ready for PL? Thanks.
Nope - just forgot to flip the switch. :roll:
~ Larry

NoelVox
Posts: 37
Joined: July 13th, 2020, 2:52 pm

Post by NoelVox » January 20th, 2021, 8:41 pm

silverquill wrote:
January 18th, 2021, 12:07 am
Just a couple of technical issues.
First, section 4 has an incorrect file name. We need the leasing zero so it will sort correctly, so is should be _04_
That one could also use an additional second of silence at the end to bring it closer to 5 seconds.

And, both of these are too low in volume. Our target is 89 dB with a range of 86-91 dB. One of these is a bit under that and the other just barely above 86 dB. So they could bout be amplified by about 3 dB

Just a general comment about the audio. I can't quite put my finger on it, but is seems somehow muffled. I'm not sure what your set up is our if you hear the same thing, so I don't know quite what to suggest.

Anyway, please make the above corrections, upload with the same file name (correcting for _04_ of course) and post the links here again and I will check them again.,

=============
Here are two programs that I use to adjust the volume of recordings:

1. CHECKER
https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Checker>CHECKER.

This little program was written specifically for LibriVox, and is very easy to use.
Just drag your file to the Checker window, and it will quickly check it for all LibriVox specifications and give you a report.

One of the measurements is the volume in decibels. Use the Amplify feature under the Effect menu in Audacity to adjust the volume, by setting the value to plus or minus to bring the recording close to the LV target of 89 dB.

2. ReplayGain
https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Measuring_Volume_within_Audacity

This article will introduce you to ReplayGain, which is a plugin specifically for Audacity. There is a link to download it and a link to a tutorial on how to use it. Once installed, it is easy to use. Depending on your version of Audacity, it will appear either in the Analyze menu or the Effects menu. ReplayGain can be selected to analyze the recording, giving a reading of how many decibels, plus or minus, that the recording is off from the target. It is then easy to use the Audacity Amplify feature to make the adjustment before exporting the file.
Thanks for the helpful pointers. Still getting used to the new setup so a bit of trial and error. I've had another go here - hope they sound better:

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/anthologyofmassachusettspoets_04_braithwaite_128kb.mp3 - 1:02
https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/anthologyofmassachusettspoets_39_braithwaite_128kb.mp3 - 2:06


Thanks

silverquill
Posts: 16693
Joined: May 25th, 2013, 9:11 pm
Location: Pittsfield, New Hampshire USA

Post by silverquill » January 20th, 2021, 8:53 pm

NoelVox wrote:
January 20th, 2021, 8:41 pm

Thanks for the helpful pointers. Still getting used to the new setup so a bit of trial and error. I've had another go here - hope they sound better:

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/anthologyofmassachusettspoets_04_braithwaite_128kb.mp3 - 1:02
https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/anthologyofmassachusettspoets_39_braithwaite_128kb.mp3 - 2:06

Thanks
Good! These are both now PL OK.
~ Larry


silverquill
Posts: 16693
Joined: May 25th, 2013, 9:11 pm
Location: Pittsfield, New Hampshire USA

Post by silverquill » January 30th, 2021, 10:39 pm

~ Larry

brucek
Posts: 1347
Joined: October 31st, 2013, 3:23 pm
Contact:

Post by brucek » February 1st, 2021, 8:28 am

I would like to claim sections 7, 22, 23, 32, 33 and 38.

Thanks,
Bruce.

silverquill
Posts: 16693
Joined: May 25th, 2013, 9:11 pm
Location: Pittsfield, New Hampshire USA

Post by silverquill » February 1st, 2021, 9:36 am

brucek wrote:
February 1st, 2021, 8:28 am
I would like to claim sections 7, 22, 23, 32, 33 and 38.

Thanks,
Bruce.
Thank you, Bruce!
Enjoy
~ Larry

Post Reply