COMPLETE [POETRY] Anthology of Massachusetts Poets by William Stanley Braithwaite-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Jayhawk1900

Post by Jayhawk1900 »

silverquill wrote: February 22nd, 2021, 9:48 pm
Jayhawk1900 wrote: February 22nd, 2021, 5:03 pm Hi,
I'd like to read: #52 Motherhood, by Agnes Lee if it's still open.
Thank you!
I have assigned this to you.
I submitted my file. Is this correct way to post finished readings?
https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/anthologyofmassachusettspoets_52_braithwaite_128kb.mp3 1:57
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

This is good way to post your recording link with file length.

I love this poem, and recorded it some time back for one of our monthly poetry collections.

The only real issue is that the volume is a bit high, at 92.3 dB. Our target is 89 dB with a range of 86-92 dB, so just over the limit. You can use the Amplification function under the Effects menu in Audacity. Just set it for -3 and you should be good. Then, if you could add one second to the silence at the end, that would get it closer to the five seconds that we like to have. Best is to adjust the input gain so that the raw recording is closer to 89 dB.

Upload the corrected file under the same file name and post the link here again and I will check it.

Just a general comment on the recording. There is a large amount of reverb giving it the empty-room or barrel sound. There are a lot of things you can do to minimize this by treating your recording space. Then, having the microphone closer helps. I finally got a cheap mike stand to help with that. Brining it in from three feet to six inches eliminated a lot of that. Then, I just hung a couple of blankets in back of my recording position to catch some of the reverb.

Anyway, very nice recording.
Thanks for you contribution.
Keep on reading!

=============
Here are two programs that I use to adjust the volume of recordings:

1. CHECKER
https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Checker

This little program was written specifically for LibriVox, and is very easy to use.
Just drag your file to the Checker window, and it will quickly check it for all LibriVox specifications and give you a report.

One of the measurements is the volume in decibels. Use the Amplify feature under the Effect menu in Audacity to adjust the volume, by setting the value to plus or minus to bring the recording close to the LV target of 89 dB.

2. ReplayGain
https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Measuring_Volume_within_Audacity

This article will introduce you to ReplayGain, which is a plugin specifically for Audacity. There is a link to download it and a link to a tutorial on how to use it. Once installed, it is easy to use. Depending on your version of Audacity, it will appear either in the Analyze menu or the Effects menu. ReplayGain can be selected to analyze the recording, giving a reading of how many decibels, plus or minus, that the recording is off from the target. It is then easy to use the Audacity Amplify feature to make the adjustment before exporting the file.
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
Jayhawk1900

Post by Jayhawk1900 »

Thanks, that was my second effort and I'm still working out the kinks. I'll re-record, I have to do it at 4 am because of the road noise out front so I'll make sure the coffee pot is locked and loaded.
Theginmann

Post by Theginmann »

Was wondering if I could claim section 17? Thanks, Gini
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Jayhawk1900 wrote: February 23rd, 2021, 11:21 am Thanks, that was my second effort and I'm still working out the kinks. I'll re-record, I have to do it at 4 am because of the road noise out front so I'll make sure the coffee pot is locked and loaded.
Ho! I sure understand that. I've lived in a couple of really noisy places. Very quiet here on our hill in New Hampshire, but now with all of us working at home and schooling from home, my only real quiet time is after I finish work at 11:00. I try to wrap up before 4:00 am though. :lol:
~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Theginmann wrote: February 23rd, 2021, 5:19 pm Was wondering if I could claim section 17? Thanks, Gini
That would be wonderful. I've put you in for this.

I see you have the OK on you test recording, so I just need to know how you would like to be listed in the LibriVox catalog -- real name, pseudonym or any nickname you wish. This is how you will be credited for all of your LV work.

Thank you!
~ Larry
Theginmann

Post by Theginmann »

Great, thank you!
Just - Gini Rosario - is fine to be listed in the librivox catalog. This will be my first recording so thank you.
-Gini
LaurenEmma3

Post by LaurenEmma3 »

Here is section 19 for PL.

Duration 1 minute 2 seconds.

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/anthologyofmassachusettspoets_19_braithwaite_128kb.mp3

Thank you,

Lauren
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

LaurenEmma3 wrote: February 25th, 2021, 10:48 am Here is section 19 for PL.

Duration 1 minute 2 seconds.

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/anthologyofmassachusettspoets_19_braithwaite_128kb.mp3

Thank you,

Lauren
Thank you!
Very nice reading.

Just a few things that need attention.
The beginning silence is a bit to long. It should be no more than one second, and there is a click there that you can cut out. Then the silence at the end is a bit short; we like something closer to five second. The pause between the end of your reading and the ending too long. You have about four seconds which lives the listener wondering. About one second is sufficient. Same for the pause between the intro and beginning of your reading, though that is not so bad.

Finally, I think this would be improved by some moderate noise reduction to lessen the background hum, Not absolutely necessary so I'll leave that as optional.

Just upload your corrected file under the same file name and post the link and length here again.

Let me know if you have any questions or need help with any of this. Really, just minor things.
~ Larry
LaurenEmma3

Post by LaurenEmma3 »

Thanks for the feedback.

I've made the changes, should be better now :D

Here's the link:

Duration 1 minute

Lauren
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

LaurenEmma3 wrote: February 25th, 2021, 11:52 am Thanks for the feedback.

I've made the changes, should be better now :D

Here's the link:

Duration 1 minute

Lauren
Much better, but I don't think you changed the beginning -- still a bit over one second and that loud click is still there.
~ Larry
Theginmann

Post by Theginmann »

Hi there, so I did my recording (section 17) and I used the Checker app- it said that I "passed with warnings" and it seems the warning is that my "volume falls outside of the target range." My volume setting is where it should be on Audacity- so I'm not sure how to fix that. I think it has to do with the quality of my headset microphone so I am planning on getting a new one but in the meantime, I just wanted to know if I should still submit the recording to you, or will you not be able to use it as such? Thanks for your help, Gini
Generoushorse

Post by Generoushorse »

I'm considering doing “Three Quatrains.” (no. 74)

Would I have to say “End of Quatrain One” etc. after each quatrain?
Roxy
busithoth

Post by busithoth »

Hello! I would like to tackle #48 War Pictures, by Ruth Lambert Jones.