COMPLETE - [GROUP - Short Stories] Myths and Legends Around the World (in English) Collection 6 - lny

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

[GROUP - Short Stories] Myths and Legends Around the World (in English) - Collection 6 by Various ( - ).

All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/myths-and-legends-around-the-world-collection-06-by-various/
You get to choose what you want to read! (All recordings in English) So long as the source is Public Domain for you, any short story or chapter that tells of legends, heroes, myths, folk or ancient lore, is welcome. We are looking for representations of many different cultures within each collection. If you have questions of whether a source is Public Domain for you (remember that if you live outside the U.S., public domain laws may be more strict for you), I recommend asking about that in this project's discussion before you begin recording. Simply post the question with a link to the source you've found. :) Limit of 2 sections per reader in a given Myths & Legends collection. ( Lynette Caulkins)
  • Please choose and record any short myth or legend short story in the public domain. For clarification of what it means for a work to be "in the public domain," see this section of the LibriVox Wiki: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Copyright_and_Public_Domain. Try to stay with works that run less than 60 minutes. You may read up to 2 selections per volume in this collection. You may use 2 sections for one myth/legend if that is needed. Multiple versions are welcome, so don't worry whether someone else has recorded your topic already; we're happy to hear the version you found, too. :) Please note that in this collection we do not do reservations on sections, as is typically done with LibriVox group projects. If you wonder about the suitability or public domain status of a story you want to record, feel free to ask questions in the discussion before you do the work of a recording. If this collection fills before you are able to do that recording - No Worries! - the next collection will be open for you. :)

After 12 story recordings are submitted and approved, we will catalog the collection and make it available to the public.

Here is a list of sources that still have chapters available: Potential Sources for Myths and Legends Around the World *Please note that you are absolutely welcome to use other public domain sources. (In fact, bonus points for finding a new source, particularly if it contains cultures not yet represented on the list!)

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ===========================================

Genres for the project: Children's Fiction/Myths, Legends & Fairy Tales; Culture & Heritage Fiction; Fantastic Fiction/Myths, Legends & Fairy Tales; Nature & Animal Fiction; Short Stories

Keywords that describe the book: fairy tales, myths, Legends, folklore, heroes, lore

============================================
  • BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: viewtopic.php?p=6430#p6430

Set your recording software to:
    Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz

Basic Recording Guide: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Newbie_Guide_to_Recording

1. RECORD:
    • At the BEGINNING say: "[Title of Work], by [Author Name]" "This is a Librivox recording. All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit Librivox.org. Repeat the [Title of Work]."
    • At the END, say: "End of [Title], by [Author Name]"
    • If you wish, you may also say: "Recorded by...your name."
    • Please leave .5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of your recording. Add 5 seconds of silence at the end of your recording.
    2. EDIT and SAVE your file:
    • Need noise-cleaning? See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
    • Save or export your recording to an mp3 file at 128kbs. The uploader will add the .mp3 to the end of your file name when it uploads. Please use the format shown. Your file name should have this format before you upload it:

mlaw006_titleofwork_authorlastname_yourinitials_128kb
      (example: mlaw006_daughtersun_fraser_lc_128kb)
    • Keep the file name short! Use just a word or two to identify the title. Omit "a," "the," etc. Don't put spaces between words. Keep everything lower case. Even your initials should be lower case. The only underscores should be the separations between the mlaw volume, title, author's last name, and your initials. There are only 4 underscores in a file name!
    • Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.
    3. UPLOAD your recording:
    • Upload your finished recording using the LibriVox uploader:
      http://librivox.org/login/uploader. When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - copy and post it to the current nonfiction thread. If you don't post that you've uploaded your recording, the nonfiction book coordinator won't know that you did it!
    • If you have trouble reading the image above, please send a private message to any admin.
    • To upload, you'll need to select the MC, which for the Myths and Legends Around the World - Collection 6 is: linny
      After your file is uploaded, it should have this format:
      https://librivox.org/uploads/linny/mlaw006_titleofwork_authorlastname_yourinitials_128kb.mp3

Copy thelink of your uploaded file before you leave that page.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page
    When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.

4. POST the following information in this thread:
    • Title of the story.
    • Author of the work.
    • A URL link to the source from which you read (etext URL). NOTE: If posting from Gutenberg, please provide the link to the download page instead of the view of the book, e.g. http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/# (where # is the Gutenberg project number for the book).
    • The link to your recording file that you copied from the uploader.
    • Length in minutes. (mm:ss)
    • If this is your first Librivox recording, we will also need your name as you would like it to appear in the LibriVox catalog, and, if you have a web page and want it linked to your name in the catalog, the URL of the web page.
    5. PROOF LISTENING AND DEADLINE FOR EDITS on recordings you have submitted:
    • The level of proof listening for the nonfiction collection is "standard." We will only proof for technical specs, repeated words or passages that the reader likely intended to edit out, misreads that change the meaning of the text, and such. For a discussion of the levels of proof listening, please see this Wiki page: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Guide_for_Proof-listeners#Levels_of_Proof-listening
    • We ask that you complete any editing requested by the Dedicated Proof Listener within two weeks of the request, or, if you need more time, that you post in this thread to request an extension. There’s absolutely no shame in this; we’re all volunteers and things happen. Extensions are, however, at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. To be fair to the other readers, sections which cannot be edited in a timely manner may be deleted from the current volume of the Myths and Legends Around the World Collection, but they can always be included in a future volume when the edits are complete.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by LCaulkins on January 3rd, 2021, 9:50 am, edited 3 times in total.
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

As usual, I will continue DPL'ing the recordings as they come in.

Also, I've changed my handling of these collections so that sections will no longer be reserved.
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
linny

Post by linny »

I'm happy to continue this collection with you. I'll be back with your MW.

EDIT: You're up and ready to go. :D
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Hey, yay! Thanks, Linny :D
~Lynette * -
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

OK, I double-checked that all the file name spots have been changed to 006, so we're ready for the Readers Wanted board :)
~Lynette * -
linny

Post by linny »

Reader's Wanted it is. Have fun!
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Oh! I forgot that Readers Wanted is divided into different kinds - is it hard to switch over to the Short Works board? :oops:
~Lynette * -
linny

Post by linny »

No problem at all. It's three clicks (two drop downs and a confirmation) and now you are in short works. :mrgreen:
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Thank you so much, Linny :)
~Lynette * -
CoyotesGrin

Post by CoyotesGrin »

I'm interested in volunteering for this.

How do I ensure that I'm not recording something someone else is simultaneously working on?

If no one else is keen on them, I'd like to do:
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

CoyotesGrin wrote: January 4th, 2021, 10:29 pm I'm interested in volunteering for this.

How do I ensure that I'm not recording something someone else is simultaneously working on?

If no one else is keen on them, I'd like to do:
Hi there :)

Theoretically, this could happen, but it is not a problem for a couple reasons:

It's rare. Only once has someone suggested a story that had just been done. More often than not, people do just what you've done here, and post their intentions. These stories will be great to have! (nobody has done them yet for this series, and I'll make notes of them on the source sheet)

It doesn't matter, anyway - LibriVox lets people do repeat versions of books/stories/poems. If we do get a double, I can help direct them into different collections. So, if anyone was working on a story when another reader submits it into Collection 6, say, we'd get it put in for Collection 7. That's fairly easy to do since these collections roll over quickly.

Welcome to LibriVox, by the way! Very glad to have your help in this project. :)

P.S. - Unlike "normal" LibriVox group projects, we don't reserve sections in this collection. Your stories are from good sources, so go ahead and record them. When you submit each recording, don't forget to post the uploaded link here on the project board, and it will be loaded into the MW.
~Lynette * -
AngeliqueAnja

Post by AngeliqueAnja »

Yay, more myths and legends! Here's my contribution.

Title: The Apples of Life - Part 1
Author: Mara L. Pratt
Link: https://librivox.org/uploads/linny/mlaw006_applesoflife1_pratt_am_128kb.mp3 (11:42)

Title: The Apples of Life - Part 2
Link: https://librivox.org/uploads/linny/mlaw006_applesoflife2_pratt_am_128kb.mp3 (07:00)

Source link: https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/48908

These could easily be combine into one file, but the story was presented this way in the text so I did the same. Enjoy,

Annie
DR: The Mystery of a Hansom Cab (Readers Wanted)
SOLO The Fairy Latchkey

I am without internet at the moment. Not sure for how long.
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

AngeliqueAnja wrote: January 6th, 2021, 2:23 pm Yay, more myths and legends! Here's my contribution.

Title: The Apples of Life - Part 1
Link: https://librivox.org/uploads/linny/mlaw006_applesoflife1_pratt_am_128kb.mp3 (11:42)

Title: The Apples of Life - Part 2
Link: https://librivox.org/uploads/linny/mlaw006_applesoflife2_pratt_am_128kb.mp3 (07:00)

Source link: https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/48908

These could easily be combine into one file, but the story was presented this way in the text so I did the same. Enjoy,

Annie
Hi, Annie! Nice to see you. :)

Hey, I'm thinking: Why don't we go ahead and combine these, since it's the same story, and the files are so short. Do you mind doing that? I did pull up the book, and it looks like the only reason it was divided was to keep the chapters super short for young readers.
~Lynette * -
AngeliqueAnja

Post by AngeliqueAnja »

LCaulkins wrote: January 7th, 2021, 8:16 am Hi, Annie! Nice to see you. :)

Hey, I'm thinking: Why don't we go ahead and combine these, since it's the same story, and the files are so short. Do you mind doing that? I did pull up the book, and it looks like the only reason it was divided was to keep the chapters super short for young readers.
I'm glad, I think it sounds better continuing on to the end, especially given where they put the chapter break! (and now I can find a second story to add to this collection!)

All the same details as before, except the time is now 17:54
https://librivox.org/uploads/linny/mlaw006_applesoflife_pratt_am_128kb.mp3

There you go,
Annie
DR: The Mystery of a Hansom Cab (Readers Wanted)
SOLO The Fairy Latchkey

I am without internet at the moment. Not sure for how long.
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Super! Thanks, Annie, and yes, you definitely are good for another story in the collection if you want. :)

Apples of Life is all loaded into the MW and queued for PL
~Lynette * -