All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/myths-and-legends-around-the-world-collection-06-by-various/
You get to choose what you want to read! (All recordings in English) So long as the source is Public Domain for you, any short story or chapter that tells of legends, heroes, myths, folk or ancient lore, is welcome. We are looking for representations of many different cultures within each collection. If you have questions of whether a source is Public Domain for you (remember that if you live outside the U.S., public domain laws may be more strict for you), I recommend asking about that in this project's discussion before you begin recording. Simply post the question with a link to the source you've found. Limit of 2 sections per reader in a given Myths & Legends collection. ( Lynette Caulkins)
- Please choose and record any short myth or legend short story in the public domain. For clarification of what it means for a work to be "in the public domain," see this section of the LibriVox Wiki: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Copyright_and_Public_Domain. Try to stay with works that run less than 60 minutes. You may read up to 2 selections per volume in this collection. You may use 2 sections for one myth/legend if that is needed. Multiple versions are welcome, so don't worry whether someone else has recorded your topic already; we're happy to hear the version you found, too. Please note that in this collection we do not do reservations on sections, as is typically done with LibriVox group projects. If you wonder about the suitability or public domain status of a story you want to record, feel free to ask questions in the discussion before you do the work of a recording. If this collection fills before you are able to do that recording - No Worries! - the next collection will be open for you.
After 12 story recordings are submitted and approved, we will catalog the collection and make it available to the public.
Here is a list of sources that still have chapters available: Potential Sources for Myths and Legends Around the World *Please note that you are absolutely welcome to use other public domain sources. (In fact, bonus points for finding a new source, particularly if it contains cultures not yet represented on the list!)
BC Admin ===========================================
Genres for the project: Children's Fiction/Myths, Legends & Fairy Tales; Culture & Heritage Fiction; Fantastic Fiction/Myths, Legends & Fairy Tales; Nature & Animal Fiction; Short Stories
Keywords that describe the book: fairy tales, myths, Legends, folklore, heroes, lore
- BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: viewtopic.php?p=6430#p6430
Set your recording software to:
Channels: 1 (Mono)
Bit Rate: 128 kbps
Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
Basic Recording Guide: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Newbie_Guide_to_Recording
- At the BEGINNING say: "[Title of Work], by [Author Name]" "This is a Librivox recording. All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit Librivox.org. Repeat the [Title of Work]."
- At the END, say: "End of [Title], by [Author Name]"
- If you wish, you may also say: "Recorded by...your name."
- Please leave .5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of your recording. Add 5 seconds of silence at the end of your recording.
- Need noise-cleaning? See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
- Save or export your recording to an mp3 file at 128kbs. The uploader will add the .mp3 to the end of your file name when it uploads. Please use the format shown. Your file name should have this format before you upload it:
mlaw006_titleofwork_authorlastname_yourinitials_128kb (example: mlaw006_daughtersun_fraser_lc_128kb)
- Keep the file name short! Use just a word or two to identify the title. Omit "a," "the," etc. Don't put spaces between words. Keep everything lower case. Even your initials should be lower case. The only underscores should be the separations between the mlaw volume, title, author's last name, and your initials. There are only 4 underscores in a file name!
- Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.
- Upload your finished recording using the LibriVox uploader:
http://librivox.org/login/uploader. When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - copy and post it to the current nonfiction thread. If you don't post that you've uploaded your recording, the nonfiction book coordinator won't know that you did it!
- If you have trouble reading the image above, please send a private message to any admin.
- To upload, you'll need to select the MC, which for the Myths and Legends Around the World - Collection 6 is: linny
After your file is uploaded, it should have this format:
Copy thelink of your uploaded file before you leave that page.
- If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page
4. POST the following information in this thread:
- Title of the story.
- Author of the work.
- A URL link to the source from which you read (etext URL). NOTE: If posting from Gutenberg, please provide the link to the download page instead of the view of the book, e.g. http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/# (where # is the Gutenberg project number for the book).
- The link to your recording file that you copied from the uploader.
- Length in minutes. (mm:ss)
- If this is your first Librivox recording, we will also need your name as you would like it to appear in the LibriVox catalog, and, if you have a web page and want it linked to your name in the catalog, the URL of the web page.
- The level of proof listening for the nonfiction collection is "standard." We will only proof for technical specs, repeated words or passages that the reader likely intended to edit out, misreads that change the meaning of the text, and such. For a discussion of the levels of proof listening, please see this Wiki page: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Guide_for_Proof-listeners#Levels_of_Proof-listening
- We ask that you complete any editing requested by the Dedicated Proof Listener within two weeks of the request, or, if you need more time, that you post in this thread to request an extension. There’s absolutely no shame in this; we’re all volunteers and things happen. Extensions are, however, at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. To be fair to the other readers, sections which cannot be edited in a timely manner may be deleted from the current volume of the Myths and Legends Around the World Collection, but they can always be included in a future volume when the edits are complete.
Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!
Please post below