COMPLETE: English Lit for Boys & Girls - H. E. Marshall - pc

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
KimL

Post by KimL »

One more thing with Section 7. The length is 16 minutes, 37 seconds.

Thanks again,
Kim L.
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

Hi Kim -

I know you are new and Cadastra seems to be away right now. I went ahead and listened to your recording as I had time and you seemed to be concerned about it and I do not want you to worry!

It is VERY GOOD! I really enjoyed listening to Chapter 7 about Arthur! Your recording of the Non-English words that you wrote me about was EXCELLENT!

I do have some feedback from your recording for you - most of it is easy to do - removing words. If you have any questions on how to do any of the edits then just let me or Cadastra know please.

3:01 - said "Holy" before Grail - should just be Grail - delete Holy please
4:24 - there is a little bobble to be deleted before "English"
6:57 - said "where" before whence - please remove the where
13:16 - said "where knight" - should be where HE knight
14:07 - said "Arthur took him on" should be Arthur him looked on"
16:34 - 16:44 - remove this section please
Now add "recording by" before your name
After your name add 5 seconds of silence please.

Basically for the last 3 items - when recording any section you say what is listed in the "End of recording" section of the MW except the "At the End of the Book" which is only red for the last Section of the book. So the last 3 lines above need to end up as the following:

"End of Section [number]" AND If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]" then 5 seconds of silence.

One note just for the future - the beginning of the recording should have between .5 and 1 second of silence. You are fine on this one - just letting you know :)

Good luck and let us know if you need assistance!

Lynda
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

Here is:

Chapter XXXIII: How the Shepherds Watched Their Flocks

https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/englishlitboysandgirls_33_marshall_128kb.mp3
12:34

Thanks,

M
PSHarvey106

Post by PSHarvey106 »

PSHarvey106 wrote: January 8th, 2021, 2:01 am Hi,

Here is section 25.

Section 25:
https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/englishlitboysandgirls_25_marshall_128kb.mp3
(Running Time 14:16)

Thank you.

Hi,

I had posted this a while back, but it must not have shown up correctly in the thread when I posted it. Thank you.
Paul
KimL

Post by KimL »

Lmnei wrote: January 17th, 2021, 12:50 pm Hi Kim -

I know you are new and Cadastra seems to be away right now. I went ahead and listened to your recording as I had time and you seemed to be concerned about it and I do not want you to worry!

It is VERY GOOD! I really enjoyed listening to Chapter 7 about Arthur! Your recording of the Non-English words that you wrote me about was EXCELLENT!

I do have some feedback from your recording for you - most of it is easy to do - removing words. If you have any questions on how to do any of the edits then just let me or Cadastra know please.

3:01 - said "Holy" before Grail - should just be Grail - delete Holy please
4:24 - there is a little bobble to be deleted before "English"
6:57 - said "where" before whence - please remove the where
13:16 - said "where knight" - should be where HE knight
14:07 - said "Arthur took him on" should be Arthur him looked on"
16:34 - 16:44 - remove this section please
Now add "recording by" before your name
After your name add 5 seconds of silence please.

Basically for the last 3 items - when recording any section you say what is listed in the "End of recording" section of the MW except the "At the End of the Book" which is only red for the last Section of the book. So the last 3 lines above need to end up as the following:

"End of Section [number]" AND If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]" then 5 seconds of silence.

One note just for the future - the beginning of the recording should have between .5 and 1 second of silence. You are fine on this one - just letting you know :)

Good luck and let us know if you need assistance!

Lynda
Hi Lynda,

Thank you for going through the recording and helping me polish it up. I tried to remove the words that were extra and cannot seem to do it. I don't know if there is an easy way to remove one word, but the sound waves from the previous word seem too close to the start of the next word and taking it out would make an abrupt disruption in the recording. I don't know if that makes sense. I think I will just re-record the whole thing. It doesn't hurt to get extra practice in. What I usually do is if I feel I have flubbed a sentence up, I wait a second or so and repeat the phrase. Then editing is easy because there is an obvious break. If you have any recommendations for this sort of thing, please let me know.

Another question I have is, do people usually record in one long session or do they break it up? I feel like if I don't record in one long session, it is challenging to get the sounds to sound seamless. One recording might be louder than the other or the tempo might be different.

Anyway, thanks for any advice for this newbie!! I am enjoying myself!!

Kim
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

Hi Kim -

Please do not re-record! The recording is simple to edit. You need to learn how to do it. Just busy right now but I will write the instructions how to edit in just a couple of hours.

I am so happy you are having fun!

Lynda
KimL

Post by KimL »

Lmnei wrote: January 20th, 2021, 9:56 am Hi Kim -

Please do not re-record! The recording is simple to edit. You need to learn how to do it. Just busy right now but I will write the instructions how to edit in just a couple of hours.

I am so happy you are having fun!

Lynda
Thanks, Lynda. I went ahead and re-recorded. The practice did me good.

Kim
KimL

Post by KimL »

Hello!

I re-recorded section 7. I feel like this was a better copy. Here it is:

https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/englishlitboysandgirls_07_marshall_128kb.mp3

Kim L.
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

KimL wrote: January 21st, 2021, 7:57 am Hello!

https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/englishlitboysandgirls_07_marshall_128kb.mp3

Kim L.
Okay Kim - thanks! Just so you know, in general unless there is a significant issue with the recording, we do not re-record. It takes the person who listens to your recording (the DPL) time to go through it and when they post the edits that need to be done and you have completed those edits they spot check them - we listen to make sure the edits were done correctly - we do not listen to the whole recording again.

I am going to leave this one for Cadastra to listen to themselves this time.

Lynda
ashleighjane

Post by ashleighjane »

KimL wrote: January 21st, 2021, 7:57 am Hello!

Kim L.
Kim do you still have your original file that you could edit? if not i think phil might be able to pull it from the uploader for you. You need to edit your recordings as each time you rerecord the chapter you could make other mistakes, so it will better if you edit your original file than anyone pling this new one. You're right that practice is good, but even the most experienced readers make errors so editing is the thing to practice, not re-recording :D

Are you using audacity to record?

ETA: I don't even know how i ended up in this topic :hmm: :lol:
Traceyann

Post by Traceyann »

KimL

Post by KimL »

Okay Kim - thanks! Just so you know, in general unless there is a significant issue with the recording, we do not re-record. It takes the person who listens to your recording (the DPL) time to go through it and when they post the edits that need to be done and you have completed those edits they spot check them - we listen to make sure the edits were done correctly - we do not listen to the whole recording again.

I am going to leave this one for Cadastra to listen to themselves this time.

Lynda
[/quote]

Thanks, Lynda. I'll do that next time. Thanks for your help.

Kim
KimL

Post by KimL »

Kim do you still have your original file that you could edit? if not i think phil might be able to pull it from the uploader for you. You need to edit your recordings as each time you rerecord the chapter you could make other mistakes, so it will better if you edit your original file than anyone pling this new one. You're right that practice is good, but even the most experienced readers make errors so editing is the thing to practice, not re-recording :D

Are you using audacity to record?

ETA: I don't even know how i ended up in this topic :hmm: :lol:
[/quote]

I think I do. I just got back into town but will look for them later or tomorrow (as I have a dinner party tonight).

Thanks for the advice. I appreciate learning.

KIm
KimL

Post by KimL »

Lynda,

I do not have the original recording of Chapter 7.

Kim
ashleighjane

Post by ashleighjane »

Phil should be able to pull it from the uploader. If not, your re-record will be proof listened (i think the dpl for this project isn't around currently though). Just make sure not to re-record anything that has already been proof-listened in the future :)