COMPLETE: English Lit for Boys & Girls - H. E. Marshall - pc

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
cadastra

Post by cadastra »

English Literature for Boys and Girls by Henrietta Elizabeth Marshall (1867 - 1941).

This project is now complete.  All audio files can be found on our catalog page here:

https://librivox.org/english-literature-for-boys-and-girls-by-henrietta-elizabeth-marshall/

"Has there ever been a time when no stories were told? Has there ever been a people who did not care to listen? I think not."

Thus begins a journey through the history of English literature, from the early middle ages to the Victorian era. The young person will experience the most well-loved characters of all time, from Beowulf, the warrior who dares to challenge a terrifying and bloodthirsty monster, to virtuous Una of The Faerie Queene, faithful to the end. H. E. Marshall masterfully weaves selections from the stories into her own retellings, leaving the reader with a keen appreciation for the great books that have become the foundation of Western culture. (Summary by cadastra)
  1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here. To find a section to record, simply look at the "Magic Window" below point 5. All the section without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6 to 8 below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording? Before you begin recording for a project, we ask that you complete a 1-Minute Test. Please also check out the Newbie Guide to Recording.
  3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen. Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
  4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/5725. PL Level: Standard
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below). If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

Project Code: YheRlSjN
    Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): (Henrietta Elizabeth Marshall) : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henrietta_Elizabeth_Marshall
    Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
    Number of sections (files) this project will have: 85
    Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: No
    Original publication date (if known): 1909

Genres for the project: Children's Non-fiction/General

Keywords that describe the book: medieval literature, classic literature, ambleside, retelling, charlotte mason
  6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: viewtopic.php?p=6430#p6430

Set your recording software to:
    Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  7. DURING recording:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
    START of recording (Intro)
    • "Section [number] of English Literature for Boys and Girls. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "English Literature for Boys and Girls, by Henrietta Elizabeth Marshall. Section [number and name]"

END of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of Section [number]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of English Literature for Boys and Girls, by Henrietta Elizabeth Marshall."

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The latest version of Audacity is recommended for noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
    Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    englishlitboysandgirls_##_marshall_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. englishlitboysandgirls_01_marshall_128kb.mp3)
    NO NEED TO FILL OUT ID3 TAGS
  9. Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: philchenevert
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
    Please read the "Books to Read" footnote that appears at the conclusion of most chapters.

Any questions?
    Please post below.
Last edited by cadastra on December 26th, 2020, 8:54 am, edited 16 times in total.
cadastra

Post by cadastra »

I will BC and DPL for this group recording of English Literature for Boys and Girls. As far as I know, this will be the first version of the book in the catalog.
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Hi. I will set this up for you. A big project but well worth doing.
EDIT: and there you go! :D
Peruvian owls always hunt in pairs because they are inca hoots.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
thestorygirl

Post by thestorygirl »

Hiya, and Merry Christmas! May I read Ch 1, 4, 16, 55, 59, and 78?
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

Could I have the following section please?

Chapter XXXIII HOW THE SHEPHERDS WATCHED THEIR FLOCKS

Thanks,

M
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Chapter 79 (Byron - Childe Harold's Pilgrimage) please.
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
Nedge

Post by Nedge »

I told myself not another claim -- not a smidge, not a chapter, until Little Women is done.

BUT I'm a fast typist and if you want me to, and if you let me into the Magic Window, I will finish the chapters for you.

Nan
"Ready, willing, and vaguely competent." -- Sandra Boynton, 2021
cadastra

Post by cadastra »

thestorygirl wrote: December 24th, 2020, 5:48 pm Hiya, and Merry Christmas! May I read Ch 1, 4, 16, 55, 59, and 78?
Merry Christmas to you as well! Yes, you may. Enjoy!
cadastra

Post by cadastra »

mleigh wrote: December 24th, 2020, 6:37 pm Could I have the following section please?

Chapter XXXIII HOW THE SHEPHERDS WATCHED THEIR FLOCKS

Thanks,

M
Yes, thank you!
cadastra

Post by cadastra »

alanmapstone wrote: December 24th, 2020, 7:19 pm Chapter 79 (Byron - Childe Harold's Pilgrimage) please.
Enjoy, Alan!
cadastra

Post by cadastra »

Nedge wrote: December 24th, 2020, 9:49 pm I told myself not another claim -- not a smidge, not a chapter, until Little Women is done.

BUT I'm a fast typist and if you want me to, and if you let me into the Magic Window, I will finish the chapters for you.

Nan
Why thank you, Nan! I am all set, as I just have to fill in the word count for each section, but I appreciate the offer just the same!
CynCee

Post by CynCee »

Hello!
Could I claim Chapter 10- X-The Adventures of An Old English Book please?
This is my first read, I may have a few questions along the way.
Thanks
Cyn
cadastra

Post by cadastra »

CynCee wrote: December 29th, 2020, 6:35 am Hello!
Could I claim Chapter 10- X-The Adventures of An Old English Book please?
This is my first read, I may have a few questions along the way.
Thanks
Cyn
Yes, feel free to ask any questions you have! What name do you wish to be published under in the catalog? You can use your real name, forum name, a pseudonym, anything you’d like. We can also link a website on your reader page.
CynCee

Post by CynCee »

Thanks! I'm excited! :thumbs:
I will use Faerie Book Mama. Don't have a link I would like just yet.
Thank you so much! Getting started ASAP!
Cyn
alixsquish

Post by alixsquish »

Hi,

Please could I claim section 11 Beowulf and 22 Chaucer: bread and milk?

Thanks!
Suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.
Jake the dog