COMPLETE: English Lit for Boys & Girls - H. E. Marshall - pc

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

DecemberInk wrote: April 28th, 2021, 6:35 pm I have a newbie question about how to read quotations in the passage (I don't think I saw instructions but it's possible I missed it).

For example, this passage here in the section I'm claimed:

The Archbishop was quick to see that the boy was clever. "This child here waiting at the table, whoever will live to see it, will prove a marvellous man,"* he would say. And so he persuaded More's father to send the boy to Oxford to study law.

*William Roper, The Mirrour of Virtue.

Also, how do I cite the quotation's author who is William Roper in this case?
Good question! I have several books on my plate and I cannot remember if we talked about quotes in this one or not - however here is how you do Footnotes which is what the * is - this is how I would read it... note I do not say the word quote...

The Archbishop was quick to see that the boy was clever. "This child here waiting at the table, whoever will live to see it, will prove a marvellous man," Footnote William Roper, The Mirrour of Virtue End Footnote he would say. And so he persuaded More's father to send the boy to Oxford to study law.

Where the portion in blue is said with a different pitch/tone of voice so that when you get to "he would say." it sounds like the reading before you said "Footnote". I hope this makes sense!

If it does not let me know and I will try again!

Lynda
DecemberInk

Post by DecemberInk »

Lmnei wrote: April 28th, 2021, 7:33 pm
DecemberInk wrote: April 28th, 2021, 6:35 pm I have a newbie question about how to read quotations in the passage (I don't think I saw instructions but it's possible I missed it).

The Archbishop was quick to see that the boy was clever. "This child here waiting at the table, whoever will live to see it, will prove a marvellous man,"* he would say. And so he persuaded More's father to send the boy to Oxford to study law.

Good question! I have several books on my plate and I cannot remember if we talked about quotes in this one or not - however here is how you do Footnotes which is what the * is - this is how I would read it... note I do not say the word quote...

The Archbishop was quick to see that the boy was clever. "This child here waiting at the table, whoever will live to see it, will prove a marvellous man," Footnote William Roper, The Mirrour of Virtue End Footnote he would say. And so he persuaded More's father to send the boy to Oxford to study law.

Where the portion in blue is said with a different pitch/tone of voice so that when you get to "he would say." it sounds like the reading before you said "Footnote". I hope this makes sense!

Lynda
Ahh...so this is the "footnotes" I keep seeing people refer to. I'm more used to all the footnotes being together at the bottom of the page, not in the middle of the page like this. I wonder if this is a styling format of all older books.

Your explanation makes perfect sense! I understand how to do it now. Thanks again! :D
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Ahh...so this is the "footnotes" I keep seeing people refer to. I'm more used to all the footnotes being together at the bottom of the page, not in the middle of the page like this. I wonder if this is a styling format of all older books.

Your explanation makes perfect sense! I understand how to do it now. Thanks again! :D
To add a note about footnotes: the texts we record have notes and footnotes and references all over the place. The Book coordinator for a project has the option of deciding whether they will be read at all or just ignored. Or, if they are read, how they will be recorded. some allow the reader to decide for themselves whether the note is significant enough to read, others specify which notes are to be read and where to read them. In this case the BC thinks it best to do as described. Just be aware that other projects may be different so be sure to follow the directions in the first post. Or just ask as you did.
Peruvian owls always hunt in pairs because they are inca hoots.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

DecemberInk wrote: April 28th, 2021, 8:03 pm
Lmnei wrote: April 28th, 2021, 7:33 pm

Lynda

I had a similar question in this same thread and here is what I was told:

y Lmnei » April 20th, 2021, 9:13 pm
Hi all!

I have been asked a question about reading that I did not know the answer to despite having read thousands of chapters for LV! It is regarding Quotes - if one sees quoted material in what you are reading what should you do?

Well, first and foremost, it is important that all readers for the book do the same thing so the BC (Book Coordinator) who in this case this is Cadestra's book that I am helping out with while she is away, is the one to ask. Also, they might post the answer to this question on the first post of the book - in the area below the MW (Magic Window).

There is no "wrong" or "right way" of doing them. Phil says we allow both ways, either saying "quote" ...."end quote" or just indicating the quote by the voice BUT they should be consistent in the book - thus make sure you know which option you are to do for the book that you are reading - it might be different for another book.

For English Literature for Boys & Girls, we will continue, as a good number of Chapters have been recorded now, just indicating the quote by the voice.

Please let me know if you have any questions -

Lynda

Wayne
Wayne
We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public. :mrgreen:
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

Here's the one about the first theatres:
https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/englishlitboysandgirls_44_marshall_128kb.mp3 18:34 The bit about preserving the unities of time and action took me back to high school :D Those early plays must have been awkward to watch, though, as indicated by the quote towards the end.
Last edited by Piotrek81 on April 29th, 2021, 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
amandakoiter116

Post by amandakoiter116 »

I would like to claim... Chapter LIII: Bacon - The Happy Island... is that how I am supposed to type this? Thank you.
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

amandakoiter116 wrote: April 29th, 2021, 12:32 pm I would like to claim... Chapter LIII: Bacon - The Happy Island... is that how I am supposed to type this? Thank you.
Hi there! Yes that is how you claim a section however 1st I need you to read your welcome email to Librivox and do the 1 minute technical recording and post it to Listeners Wanted. Once you receive a pass feel free to come back here and claim any open section!

Lynda
AricReed

Post by AricReed »

May I claim section 74, Wordsworth, the poet of nature?
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

AricReed wrote: April 30th, 2021, 8:46 am May I claim section 74, Wordsworth, the poet of nature?
Done! Enjoy it!

Lynda
AricReed

Post by AricReed »

section 74 finished. 11:52

https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/englishlitboysandgirls_74_marshall_128kb.mp3

May I also claim section 78, Scott, The Wizard Of The North?
AricReed

Post by AricReed »

I went ahead and knocked it out this afternoon.

Section 78, 13:16

https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/englishlitforboysandgirls_78_marshal_128kb.mp3
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

AricReed wrote: May 2nd, 2021, 1:03 pm I went ahead and knocked it out this afternoon.

Section 78, 13:16

https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/englishlitforboysandgirls_78_marshal_128kb.mp3
Hi thanks!

It is generally best to wait for permission to record a section.... also the file name is incorrect. Don't worry about that file name right now though - let me PL it and then you can make the changes.

I have put both recordings in the PL queue.

Lynda
ArkansasReader44

Post by ArkansasReader44 »

Hey there! May I have Chapter LXXXI: Keats - The Poet of Beauty?
DecemberInk

Post by DecemberInk »

Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

ArkansasReader44 wrote: May 5th, 2021, 7:02 pm Hey there! May I have Chapter LXXXI: Keats - The Poet of Beauty?
By all means! It is assigned to you now - looking forward to your reading!

Lynda