COMPLETE: English Lit for Boys & Girls - H. E. Marshall - pc

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

AricReed wrote: May 1st, 2021, 2:37 pm section 74 finished. 11:52

https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/englishlitboysandgirls_74_marshall_128kb.mp3

May I also claim section 78, Scott, The Wizard Of The North?
Great reading - just some standard reading feedback to follow the LV standards and what others have already done in this book - please let me know if you need any clarifications.

Section 74 –

3:46 – please say Footnote Prelude, book v. End footnote and move it after “or love” where the star is marked. Remove the word “from”. In LV we do not add words to the reading – we just read what the text/book indicates.
4:55 – please say Footnote Ode, Intimations of Immortality End Footnote and move it after “of a dream” where the star is marked. Remove the word “from”
6:25 – please remove “From a poem To a Butterfly” and instead say “Footnote To a Butterfly End Footnote” after “off its wings” where the star is marked.
7:01 – same correction for “The Sparrows Nest” please
7:47 – same correction for “Prelude, book I” please
8:12 – same correction for “Prelude, book I” please
9:04 – same correction for “Prelude, book I” please
11:52 – please leave 5 seconds of silence at the end of the recording.

Lynda
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

AricReed wrote: May 2nd, 2021, 1:03 pm I went ahead and knocked it out this afternoon.

Section 78, 13:16

https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/englishlitforboysandgirls_78_marshal_128kb.mp3
Again, awesome reading! Just following what others have done in this book in terms of how they have read their footnotes....

Section 78

Please rename the file when saving to englishlitboysandgirls_78_marshall_128kb.mp3 (you had a "for" in it also).
5:30 – heard “said friend James Hogg” text says “said a friend”.
5:45 – please insert “Footnote, James Hogg, End Foodnote” where the star is.
12:40 – please remove “From Lay of the Last Minstrel” and move to 13:12 and say “Footnote Lay of the Last Minstrel End Footnote” after “which they bled” where the star is.

Lynda
CadenB

Post by CadenB »

Hi, I'm just checking up on the progress of the spot PL for chapter 32.
Also, may I claim Chapter LXIV (64): Swift - "Gulliver's Travels"? Thank you,

CadenB
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

CadenB wrote: May 17th, 2021, 5:07 pm Hi, I'm just checking up on the progress of the spot PL for chapter 32.
Also, may I claim Chapter LXIV (64): Swift - "Gulliver's Travels"? Thank you,

CadenB
Caden I am currently traveling home from a death in my family - as I posted yesterday I will be ramping up my PL'ing in the BC's absence when I get home after Wednesday.

Chapter 64 is assigned to you now.

Lynda
AricReed

Post by AricReed »

Lmnei wrote: May 16th, 2021, 11:50 pm
AricReed wrote: May 1st, 2021, 2:37 pm section 74 finished. 11:52

https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/englishlitboysandgirls_74_marshall_128kb.mp3

May I also claim section 78, Scott, The Wizard Of The North?
Great reading - just some standard reading feedback to follow the LV standards and what others have already done in this book - please let me know if you need any clarifications.

Section 74 –

3:46 – please say Footnote Prelude, book v. End footnote and move it after “or love” where the star is marked. Remove the word “from”. In LV we do not add words to the reading – we just read what the text/book indicates.
4:55 – please say Footnote Ode, Intimations of Immortality End Footnote and move it after “of a dream” where the star is marked. Remove the word “from”
6:25 – please remove “From a poem To a Butterfly” and instead say “Footnote To a Butterfly End Footnote” after “off its wings” where the star is marked.
7:01 – same correction for “The Sparrows Nest” please
7:47 – same correction for “Prelude, book I” please
8:12 – same correction for “Prelude, book I” please
9:04 – same correction for “Prelude, book I” please
11:52 – please leave 5 seconds of silence at the end of the recording.

Lynda
Lynda, I'm happy to make the requested changes and will do so as soon as possible.

The following is not meant to be smart or cute, but more an attempt to start a conversation with everyone here about this kind of situation, as looking over the thread I see it's being talked about. Saying "Footnote" and "End Footnote" is also technically adding words to the original text. Three times as many added words as the "From" I used, actually. If we're going to add words to the reading either way, why not do it in a smooth, seamless manner that will allow the listener to remain engaged in the telling of the story? I can only speak for myself here, but I find saying/hearing Footnote and End Footnote breaks the rhythm of the narration/story. If the read were a technical manual I think it would be fine, but these definitely strike me as informational and entertaining. The listener can't see the asterisk, nor can they read the text. As long as we provide a reference to the footnote, should it matter how we accomplish that, provided it's simply and artfully done?
TrLove

Post by TrLove »

May I claim sections 8 and 9 please?
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

TrLove wrote: May 19th, 2021, 5:15 pm May I claim sections 8 and 9 please?
Welcome to the project! They are now assigned to you!

Lynda
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

AricReed wrote: May 17th, 2021, 7:31 pm
Lynda, I'm happy to make the requested changes and will do so as soon as possible.

The following is not meant to be smart or cute, but more an attempt to start a conversation with everyone here about this kind of situation, as looking over the thread I see it's being talked about. Saying "Footnote" and "End Footnote" is also technically adding words to the original text. Three times as many added words as the "From" I used, actually. If we're going to add words to the reading either way, why not do it in a smooth, seamless manner that will allow the listener to remain engaged in the telling of the story? I can only speak for myself here, but I find saying/hearing Footnote and End Footnote breaks the rhythm of the narration/story. If the read were a technical manual I think it would be fine, but these definitely strike me as informational and entertaining. The listener can't see the asterisk, nor can they read the text. As long as we provide a reference to the footnote, should it matter how we accomplish that, provided it's simply and artfully done?
Hi Aric - thanks for the feedback. I am just filling in for both the BC and DPL (both the same person) and following her instructions as to how she wanted the book read. That said, these are standard ways of reading books in Librivox and common literary terms - to indicate where a star is located, the words Footnote, the words noted and then End Note. We are not here to interpret what we think people wanted to say by adding different words like "From" etc.

I hope this makes sense to you. Again, thanks for your feedback.

Lynda
Katgirl576

Post by Katgirl576 »

Hi, I'd like to read sections 50 and 51 - Raleigh, if that's alright :D

-Heather
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

Katgirl576 wrote: May 24th, 2021, 5:45 am Hi, I'd like to read sections 50 and 51 - Raleigh, if that's alright :D

-Heather
Assigned to you Heather! Welcome to the book!

Lynda
Katgirl576

Post by Katgirl576 »

Lmnei wrote: May 24th, 2021, 3:52 pm
Katgirl576 wrote: May 24th, 2021, 5:45 am Hi, I'd like to read sections 50 and 51 - Raleigh, if that's alright :D

-Heather
Assigned to you Heather! Welcome to the book!

Lynda
Yay! Thanks!
Katgirl576

Post by Katgirl576 »

I'd like to claim sections 23, 52, 53, 77 also :)

Thanks!!
- Heather
Last edited by Katgirl576 on May 26th, 2021, 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
springteacher

Post by springteacher »

springteacher wrote: April 22nd, 2021, 11:02 pm
Lmnei wrote: April 19th, 2021, 7:29 pm
springteacher wrote: April 14th, 2021, 10:32 pm Ready to be checked. (Section 39) https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/englishlitboysandgirls_39_marshall_128kb.mp3 (duration- 14:01) :)
Hi there - here is your PL feedback for Section 39 -

Beginning – please leave silence and start between .5 and 1 second.
From :01 to :20 the volume is very low – please increase the volume in that section only (just highlight the section and then increase the volume)
You sound like you are on a race reading out the introduction – then you slow down for the text which is good – please read the introduction in the future at the same pace as the text. Listen to Section 40 that you did - it is different than this one which is tres vite! (very fast in french)....
9:55 – skip in recording – just cut it out
9:57 – travail needs to rhyme with peril
11:01 – bobble – just cut out
11:10 – heard brought – should be bought
11:25 – heard “a mouse” should be just mouse
12:08 – heard “go against” should be just against
13:15 – heard “fame” should be frame
Need 5 seconds of silence at the end of the recording please

Just so you know, for poems due to the rhyming, we are a bit more picky at the words than just reading the text from a book. Thus the extra feedback.

Lynda
Ah, I always appreciate feedback! I'm still learning the technology/editing process. I'll tell you why it was so fast. I decided I had too long of pauses (longer than last time I believe), so I went through and trimmed my pauses. Which I guess resulted in it sounding like I was speed reading. :lol:

I just re-recorded the introduction and fixed all the little things that needed cut or re-recorded. Hopefully this is better.

https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/englishlitboysandgirls_39_marshall_128kb.mp3 (Duration 14:01)
I can't tell from the magic window if this is on the list for spot checking. Lynda's fixes have been made. (Sorry if it's already on the to-do list. I know everyone is busy.) https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/englishlitboysandgirls_39_marshall_128kb.mp3 (Duration 14:01). :)
AricReed

Post by AricReed »

AricReed

Post by AricReed »