[CHILD-GRP]English Lit for Boys & Girls - H. E. Marshall - pc

Short Poetry Collections, Short Story Collections, and our Weekly Poetry Project
Post Reply
Laveena27
Posts: 55
Joined: July 9th, 2020, 6:04 am

Post by Laveena27 » January 10th, 2021, 5:08 am

Lmnei wrote:
January 10th, 2021, 3:49 am
Looking at the text where I see it first mentioned "The abbots of Jarrow and Wearmouth made journeys to Rome and brought back with them precious MSS. for the monastery libraries." I would presume it means Manuscripts.
Yes I meant this MSS only and manuscript is fitting.
Thanks for your help :)

KimL
Posts: 29
Joined: January 8th, 2021, 2:10 pm

Post by KimL » January 10th, 2021, 11:39 am

Hello, may I read section 7 (How the Story of Author was Written in English)? I am a newbie, but I have successfully run the 1-minute test. One question I have, however, is what is the accurate file name to use? I cannot figure that out. As for the name, I would like to use my real name, Kim Lamb.

Thank you!!

Kim

Lmnei
Posts: 3650
Joined: April 26th, 2017, 8:45 am
Location: Vancouver, BC

Post by Lmnei » January 10th, 2021, 2:31 pm

KimL wrote:
January 10th, 2021, 11:39 am
Hello, may I read section 7 (How the Story of Author was Written in English)? I am a newbie, but I have successfully run the 1-minute test. One question I have, however, is what is the accurate file name to use? I cannot figure that out. As for the name, I would like to use my real name, Kim Lamb.

Thank you!!

Kim
Hi Kim -

If you scroll down below the listings of chapter assignments (Magic Window) you will see this -

englishlitboysandgirls_##_marshall_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. englishlitboysandgirls_01_marshall_128kb.mp3)

So your section 7 would be englishlitboysandgirls_07_marshall_128kb.mp3

Lynda

cadastra
Posts: 972
Joined: March 19th, 2020, 4:30 pm

Post by cadastra » January 10th, 2021, 11:12 pm

gabmcdermott wrote:
January 9th, 2021, 1:43 pm
Here is my attempt

Chapter 2 : THE STORY OF THE CATTLE RAID OF COOLEY
Length: 13:47

https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/englishlitboysandgirls_02_marshall_128kb.mp3
Thank you!
My LibriVox
catching up on PLing from working a week of 14 hr overnight shifts

cadastra
Posts: 972
Joined: March 19th, 2020, 4:30 pm

Post by cadastra » January 10th, 2021, 11:14 pm

alixsquish wrote:
January 10th, 2021, 4:38 am
Hello!

Section 22 is done:
https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/englishlitboysandgirls_22_marshall_128kb.mp3
07:38

Thank you! This was really nice to read :)
(section 11 is proving tricksier!)
Thanks so much! Looking forward to listening!
My LibriVox
catching up on PLing from working a week of 14 hr overnight shifts

cadastra
Posts: 972
Joined: March 19th, 2020, 4:30 pm

Post by cadastra » January 10th, 2021, 11:16 pm

KimL wrote:
January 10th, 2021, 11:39 am
Hello, may I read section 7 (How the Story of Author was Written in English)? I am a newbie, but I have successfully run the 1-minute test. One question I have, however, is what is the accurate file name to use? I cannot figure that out. As for the name, I would like to use my real name, Kim Lamb.

Thank you!!

Kim
Hello, Kim, and welcome to LibriVox! Thanks for submitting your test. I have assigned section 7 to you in the MW. Your file name is, as Lynda explained: englishlitboysandgirls_07_marshall_128kb.mp3. Enjoy the read--let me know if you have any other questions!
My LibriVox
catching up on PLing from working a week of 14 hr overnight shifts

cadastra
Posts: 972
Joined: March 19th, 2020, 4:30 pm

Post by cadastra » January 10th, 2021, 11:17 pm

Lmnei wrote:
January 10th, 2021, 2:31 pm
KimL wrote:
January 10th, 2021, 11:39 am
Hello, may I read section 7 (How the Story of Author was Written in English)? I am a newbie, but I have successfully run the 1-minute test. One question I have, however, is what is the accurate file name to use? I cannot figure that out. As for the name, I would like to use my real name, Kim Lamb.

Thank you!!

Kim
Hi Kim -

If you scroll down below the listings of chapter assignments (Magic Window) you will see this -

englishlitboysandgirls_##_marshall_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. englishlitboysandgirls_01_marshall_128kb.mp3)

So your section 7 would be englishlitboysandgirls_07_marshall_128kb.mp3

Lynda
Thanks for jumping in, Lynda!
My LibriVox
catching up on PLing from working a week of 14 hr overnight shifts

cadastra
Posts: 972
Joined: March 19th, 2020, 4:30 pm

Post by cadastra » January 10th, 2021, 11:17 pm

CynCee wrote:
January 10th, 2021, 2:58 am
Laveena27 wrote:
January 10th, 2021, 1:54 am
May I please know what does MSS stand for?
HI!
Hope its ok if I help!
Do you mean MM:SS? If so, it mean minutes:seconds. When you post your completed recording here, they ask that you also post the file duration in mm:ss. (for example 06:23) You can look back at a few peoples posts for examples.

Wasn't sure if thats what you were referring to since you only wrote "MSS". But I took a guess. I Hope That Helps.

"9. Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the
link."
^^^^(this is from number 9 on the main page)^^^^
Thanks, Cyn! :)
My LibriVox
catching up on PLing from working a week of 14 hr overnight shifts

cadastra
Posts: 972
Joined: March 19th, 2020, 4:30 pm

Post by cadastra » January 10th, 2021, 11:25 pm

Laveena27 wrote:
January 10th, 2021, 5:08 am
Lmnei wrote:
January 10th, 2021, 3:49 am
Looking at the text where I see it first mentioned "The abbots of Jarrow and Wearmouth made journeys to Rome and brought back with them precious MSS. for the monastery libraries." I would presume it means Manuscripts.
Yes I meant this MSS only and manuscript is fitting.
Thanks for your help :)
Yes, I concur! Manuscripts it is! (According to Google, "MSS" can also mean "Mobile Satellite Services," but I'm pretty sure those weren't around in the 9th century AD.)
My LibriVox
catching up on PLing from working a week of 14 hr overnight shifts

alanmapstone
Posts: 2441
Joined: February 15th, 2012, 12:20 pm
Location: Oxford

Post by alanmapstone » January 11th, 2021, 2:08 am

Section 79 - Byron

https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/englishlitboysandgirls_79_marshall_128kb.mp3
22.30

This writer, like so many in Victorian England, has obviously allowed her moral dislike of Byron to cloud her judgement of his literary work. To describe as "almost worthless" the work of one of finest poets in the English Language (IMHO) shows a lack of literary judgement as bad as her lack of knowledge of English history, as shown in her other books.
Quite sorry a offered to read this as it annoyed me so much. That probably shows in the quality of the reading.
alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose

KimL
Posts: 29
Joined: January 8th, 2021, 2:10 pm

Post by KimL » January 11th, 2021, 9:18 am

Hi Lynda,

I was just reviewing the script and noticed there are two quotes that are not in English

"An preost wes on leoden: lazamon wes ihoten.
he wes Leouenaóes sone: lióe him beo drihte."

"An preost wes on leoden: lazamon wes ihoten.
he wes Leouenaoes: lioe him beo drighte."

How would you like me to read these quotes?

Also, there are two names I am uncertain of their pronounciations: Leouenathe and also Ernleye

I am sorry to ask, but I am a newbie so wanted to make sure I knew what I was doing and didn't make a mistake.

Thanks,
Kim
Section VII

gabmcdermott
Posts: 10
Joined: January 4th, 2021, 4:57 am
Location: Ireland

Post by gabmcdermott » January 11th, 2021, 12:36 pm

Can I read Chapter V: The Story of Fingal

Lmnei
Posts: 3650
Joined: April 26th, 2017, 8:45 am
Location: Vancouver, BC

Post by Lmnei » January 11th, 2021, 1:30 pm

KimL wrote:
January 11th, 2021, 9:18 am
Hi Lynda,

I was just reviewing the script and noticed there are two quotes that are not in English

"An preost wes on leoden: lazamon wes ihoten.
he wes Leouenaóes sone: lióe him beo drihte."

"An preost wes on leoden: lazamon wes ihoten.
he wes Leouenaoes: lioe him beo drighte."

How would you like me to read these quotes?

Also, there are two names I am uncertain of their pronounciations: Leouenathe and also Ernleye

I am sorry to ask, but I am a newbie so wanted to make sure I knew what I was doing and didn't make a mistake.

Thanks,
Kim
Section VII
Hi Kim - cadastra (sorry I do not know their proper name) is the BC or Book Coordinator and is the person who should be answering these questions, not myself. That said, it does say on cadastra's signature line that they are working today and tomorrow and might not get back to us in that time so I will answer for you saying you asked.

In Librivox, we often run into Latin, Italian, German and French phrases. You just have to do the best you can phonetically with them. Pronunciation is not generally criticized when it comes to these languages unless it is really off like you said "preost" and instead say "ghost" which sounds similar but is a different word.

I have recorded the above lines for you just so you can see how someone else ATTEMPTS to pronounce them. I am NOT saying they are right however I would hope they would pass the PL! You will have to record them in your own voice though :)

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/kim_latin.mp3

Lynda

alixsquish
Posts: 135
Joined: August 11th, 2020, 8:31 am
Location: North East England

Post by alixsquish » January 12th, 2021, 11:21 am

Hi! Wrangled my way through section 11.

I struggled a bit with the grammar and think I've ended up making quite an exciting story, sound a bit dull :lol:
Apologies if I've butchered any pronunciations...
I've included the recommended reading at the end, as it appears in the section - hope that's right but can edit out easy enough if not.

https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/englishlitboysandgirls_11_marshall_128kb.mp3
10:44

Would it be possible to request the other two Chaucer chapters? Sections 23 & 24 please?

If so, I notice that section 24 has some asterisks to definitions for some of the olde englishe terms. Do you want these included or omitted? If included, any preference on how to go about that?

Thank you!
Suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.
Jake the dog

KimL
Posts: 29
Joined: January 8th, 2021, 2:10 pm

Post by KimL » January 17th, 2021, 7:42 am

Hello,

I have completed section 7 and have uploaded it. I am new to this so I feel like I am fumbling a bit with everything. If the recording is not good, please let me know. I would take no offense and would accept critical criticism. I had trouble getting the truncate silence to work as well as noise reduction. If those need to be redone, I could go back and try. okay, thank you for letting me participate.

Kim

Here is the link to the upload:
https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/englishlitboysandgirls_07_marshall_128kb.mp3

Post Reply