[OPEN] Short Science Fiction Collection 075-ag

Short Poetry Collections, Short Story Collections, and our Weekly Poetry Project
Post Reply
BarryHaworth
Posts: 26
Joined: January 31st, 2014, 11:21 pm
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Contact:

Post by BarryHaworth » January 11th, 2021, 4:38 am

Here's another one:

"Misadventure"
by Lord Dunsany
https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/sff075_misadventure_dunsany_bkh_128kb.mp3
length: 8:27
Text from:
https://www.fadedpage.com/books/20120717/html.php

The source is an experiment. I found Faded Page eBooks (https://www.fadedpage.com/) today. This site has books that are in the public domain in Canada, unlike Gutenberg.org which is based around what's in the public domain in the US. Is it OK to use this site as a source? It has a lot of good material.

Thanks,

Barry
I am a Statistician. One false move and you're a Statistic.

alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 9272
Joined: January 23rd, 2010, 4:21 pm
Location: Northern Maine

Post by alg1001 » January 11th, 2021, 6:59 am

Hi Barry,
No, I don't want that source used. I am sure you know that Canada is more limited than the USA in what is under copyright so it would not have more books. The book you chose says right in the page that it was published in 1954. Gutenberg does a tremendous job. When that story can be cleared they will do it.
There are many works by Lord Dunsany on PG.
https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/author/2685
Cheers,
-Amy

JamesJenkins
Posts: 72
Joined: October 14th, 2020, 9:25 am
Location: Pittsburgh, PA United States

Post by JamesJenkins » January 11th, 2021, 8:40 am

Amy, Barry,

it is not just Amy's desire, it a librivox requirement that work be PD in the US. https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Copyright_and_Public_Domain
alg1001 wrote:
January 11th, 2021, 6:59 am

No, I don't want that source used.
Cheers,
-Amy
This post uses 100% recycled electrons

esjkim90
Posts: 8
Joined: May 17th, 2020, 7:36 am

Post by esjkim90 » January 11th, 2021, 12:43 pm

Hey there everyone!

Here is my contribution for this collection.

Title: Zero Hour
Author: Alexander Blade
Recording By: Eric Kim
Time: 11:06
Audio: https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/zerohour_blade_esjk_128kb.mp3
Text: http://www.gutenberg.org/files/30476/30476-h/30476-h.htm


Let me know what you all think!

Thanks again!

Eric Kim

BarryHaworth
Posts: 26
Joined: January 31st, 2014, 11:21 pm
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Contact:

Post by BarryHaworth » January 11th, 2021, 2:40 pm

JamesJenkins wrote:
January 11th, 2021, 8:40 am
Amy, Barry,

it is not just Amy's desire, it a librivox requirement that work be PD in the US. https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Copyright_and_Public_Domain
alg1001 wrote:
January 11th, 2021, 6:59 am

No, I don't want that source used.
Cheers,
-Amy
A pity. I was eyeing off the list of what was on Faded Page, and the nice way they have of ordering the list by author and genre and length & such. I will have to see what I can do with the Gutenberg catalog.

On another topic, is there a dowloadable list of what has been done on Librivox? A list with title & author & genre and such? That would be useful for comparing with the likes of Gutenberg to find new material.

Barry
I am a Statistician. One false move and you're a Statistic.

ColleenMc
Posts: 1974
Joined: April 9th, 2017, 5:57 pm

Post by ColleenMc » January 11th, 2021, 5:20 pm

BarryHaworth wrote:
January 11th, 2021, 2:40 pm
JamesJenkins wrote:
January 11th, 2021, 8:40 am
Amy, Barry,

it is not just Amy's desire, it a librivox requirement that work be PD in the US. https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Copyright_and_Public_Domain
alg1001 wrote:
January 11th, 2021, 6:59 am

No, I don't want that source used.
Cheers,
-Amy
A pity. I was eyeing off the list of what was on Faded Page, and the nice way they have of ordering the list by author and genre and length & such. I will have to see what I can do with the Gutenberg catalog.

On another topic, is there a dowloadable list of what has been done on Librivox? A list with title & author & genre and such? That would be useful for comparing with the likes of Gutenberg to find new material.

Barry
I usually just keep the front page of the librivox website open and check the author's name if I'm interested in doing a story. If I love a story, I might record it anyway if it was done previously (especially if it was a few years or more ago) but I try to do unrecorded stuff so I usually do check. The authors are always at the very bottom (like if you were to search on Smith you would first get all the books with that in the title, then the readers who have that as part of their names, and then the authors, so it's easiest to just click on the last page of the entries and go backwards). Also the number of books under an author's name doesn't include their short pieces that have been recorded as part of collections, you have to click on the author to see everything by them that has been recorded.

Also, in the Book Suggestions board of this forum, there are several running lists of SF stories/books that have not yet been recorded, but their updating can be hit and miss, so if it's not a very recent post and you don't want to duplicate something, it's still a good idea to check Librivox holdings. But generally the suggestions are things that were never recorded (or brand new to Project Gutenberg) at the time of the suggestions.

Finally, when you view Project Gutenberg, when you go to the pulldown menu at the top of page for "Search and Browse" and click on Search, you have an option to click on Latest, which will show you the most recently added works. The SF books are usually easy to spot at a glance, and the most recent additions are less likely to have been recorded yet (tho others will be doing the same so it's a good idea to check what's already been recorded in the current collection when you choose a story.)

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai

alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 9272
Joined: January 23rd, 2010, 4:21 pm
Location: Northern Maine

Post by alg1001 » January 11th, 2021, 6:41 pm

esjkim90 wrote:
January 11th, 2021, 12:43 pm
Hey there everyone!

Here is my contribution for this collection.

Title: Zero Hour
Author: Alexander Blade
Recording By: Eric Kim
Time: 11:06
Audio: https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/zerohour_blade_esjk_128kb.mp3
Text: http://www.gutenberg.org/files/30476/30476-h/30476-h.htm


Let me know what you all think!

Thanks again!

Eric Kim
Thanks, Eric!

alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 9272
Joined: January 23rd, 2010, 4:21 pm
Location: Northern Maine

Post by alg1001 » January 11th, 2021, 6:44 pm

There is this list on what has been recorded for Librivox but it hasn't been updated in a while.
https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=LibriVox_Short_Science_Fiction_Index

Grothmann
Posts: 965
Joined: March 20th, 2017, 2:44 pm

Post by Grothmann » January 12th, 2021, 1:30 pm

Good Afternoon:

Crash Beam
By John Barret
Time 12:26
Read by Dale Grothmann

Audio at:
https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/ssf075_crashbeam_barret_dg_128kb.mp3

Text at:
http://www.gutenberg.org/files/64265/64265-h/64265-h.htm

One of the new approved stories on Gutenberg.
At least nobody has read it for Librivox before.

Thanks
Dale

BarryHaworth
Posts: 26
Joined: January 31st, 2014, 11:21 pm
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Contact:

Post by BarryHaworth » January 12th, 2021, 4:30 pm

alg1001 wrote:
January 11th, 2021, 6:44 pm
There is this list on what has been recorded for Librivox but it hasn't been updated in a while.
https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=LibriVox_Short_Science_Fiction_Index
Looks like a useful list, but as you say it hasn't been updated in more than five years and only goes up to collection 53. I guess I could try asking the contributors to that page.

Thanks!

Barry
I am a Statistician. One false move and you're a Statistic.

alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 9272
Joined: January 23rd, 2010, 4:21 pm
Location: Northern Maine

Post by alg1001 » January 12th, 2021, 8:32 pm

BarryHaworth wrote:
January 5th, 2021, 7:22 pm


"Star, Bright"
by Mark Clifton
Read by Barry Haworth
time: 54:34
Hi Barry,
I PL'd 2 of yours and enjoyed them.
Star Bright is PL OK.
Unthinkable Destroyer is a little too quiet. Please amplify it by 4 db. The target is 89 db.
Thanks!
-Amy

alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 9272
Joined: January 23rd, 2010, 4:21 pm
Location: Northern Maine

Post by alg1001 » January 12th, 2021, 8:39 pm

Grothmann wrote:
January 12th, 2021, 1:30 pm
Good Afternoon:

Crash Beam
By John Barret
Time 12:26
Read by Dale Grothmann

Audio at:
https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/ssf075_crashbeam_barret_dg_128kb.mp3

Text at:
http://www.gutenberg.org/files/64265/64265-h/64265-h.htm

One of the new approved stories on Gutenberg.
At least nobody has read it for Librivox before.

Thanks
Dale
Cool. They are scanning in something new every day it seems. Greg Weeks is a star.
Thanks for this!
-Amy

BarryHaworth
Posts: 26
Joined: January 31st, 2014, 11:21 pm
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Contact:

Post by BarryHaworth » January 12th, 2021, 9:15 pm

alg1001 wrote:
January 12th, 2021, 8:32 pm

Hi Barry,
I PL'd 2 of yours and enjoyed them.
Star Bright is PL OK.
Unthinkable Destroyer is a little too quiet. Please amplify it by 4 db. The target is 89 db.
Thanks!
-Amy
OK, done. The updated file is saved to:

https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/sff075_unthinkingdestroyer_phillips_bkh_128kb.mp3

Thanks!

Barry
I am a Statistician. One false move and you're a Statistic.

alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 9272
Joined: January 23rd, 2010, 4:21 pm
Location: Northern Maine

Post by alg1001 » January 12th, 2021, 9:37 pm

It is PL OK now, Barry.
Thanks!
-Amy

ColleenMc
Posts: 1974
Joined: April 9th, 2017, 5:57 pm

Post by ColleenMc » January 13th, 2021, 7:58 am

Dale:

You read very well--just a couple of small notes on the first two stories you read for this collection:

"The Telepathic Pick-up" - at 3:32 i hear "inevitable" and text reads "invaluable"

"The Old Goat" (isn't this a fun story? I read it for a previous collection and enjoyed your rendition!)

--at the beginning, the name of the author is Charles L. Fontenay and both times you say it in the introductory section you pronounce it "Fortenay"
--at the end, you pronounce Fontenay as Fontenay but change his middle initial to A instead of L
--at 2:09 text is "factoTum" and I hear "factoRum" which changes the meaning.

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai

Post Reply