Short Nonfiction Collection, Vol. 079 - jo

Short Poetry Collections, Short Story Collections, and our Weekly Poetry Project
Post Reply

Sue Anderson
Posts: 4139
Joined: July 24th, 2008, 11:48 am
Location: Midwest, USA
Contact:

Post by Sue Anderson » December 28th, 2020, 6:03 am

Hi Kevin, Many thanks for this evocative nature essay and the description of a walk in the woods at Christmas time! :D Am sorry to hear that your eye is giving you trouble.

soupy
Posts: 4181
Joined: November 14th, 2008, 4:04 pm
Location: Appleton, Wisconsin
Contact:

Post by soupy » December 28th, 2020, 7:43 am

Thanks for the great observations of Adeline Knapp Kevin :D

Well read and some interesting ideas.

PLOK :thumbs:

Hope your eye heals before the new year.

Craig
The world needs some positive fanaticism.

My Website
Kierkegaards Challenge

KevinS
Posts: 10182
Joined: April 7th, 2019, 8:32 am
Contact:

Post by KevinS » December 28th, 2020, 11:25 am

Sue Anderson wrote:
December 28th, 2020, 6:03 am
Am sorry to hear that your eye is giving you trouble.
soupy wrote:
December 28th, 2020, 7:43 am

Hope your eye heals before the new year.
Thank you both. My eye trouble is a bit of a mystery. But I'm getting a lot of PLing done!

KevinS
Posts: 10182
Joined: April 7th, 2019, 8:32 am
Contact:

Post by KevinS » December 28th, 2020, 6:39 pm


Sue Anderson
Posts: 4139
Joined: July 24th, 2008, 11:48 am
Location: Midwest, USA
Contact:

Post by Sue Anderson » December 28th, 2020, 8:14 pm

KevinS wrote:
December 28th, 2020, 6:39 pm
"The progress of the public bath movement in the United States" (1913)

by William Paul Gerhard (1854 - 1927)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Paul_Gerhard

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf079_publicbaths_gerhard_ks_128kb.mp3 (32:26)

https://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/102441138
Hi Kevin, Thanks for this interesting sociological study illustrating the the benefits which came to 19th century American cities by providing public bathing facilities for the tenement districts and schools.

I wonder if there is a connection here?

"I have given considerable thought to the important question of the ventilation of the classrooms in schools...nothing will help this question of pure air in the classroom more than the establishment and regular weekly use of the school baths provided for the pupils..." William Paul Gerhard
KevinS wrote:
November 26th, 2020, 10:15 am

I was a housemaster for six years at a private boarding school.

KevinS
Posts: 10182
Joined: April 7th, 2019, 8:32 am
Contact:

Post by KevinS » December 28th, 2020, 8:21 pm

Sue Anderson wrote:
December 28th, 2020, 8:14 pm
KevinS wrote:
December 28th, 2020, 6:39 pm
"The progress of the public bath movement in the United States" (1913)

by William Paul Gerhard (1854 - 1927)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Paul_Gerhard

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf079_publicbaths_gerhard_ks_128kb.mp3 (32:26)

https://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/102441138
Hi Kevin, Thanks for this interesting sociological study illustrating the the benefits which came to 19th century American cities by providing public bathing facilities for the tenement districts and schools.

I wonder if there is a connection here?

"I have given considerable thought to the important question of the ventilation of the classrooms in schools...nothing will help this question of pure air in the classroom more than the establishment and regular weekly use of the school baths provided for the pupils..." William Paul Gerhard
KevinS wrote:
November 26th, 2020, 10:15 am

I was a housemaster for six years at a private boarding school.
Haha! My students were also equitation students. They were not allowed into the dining hall unless they showered!

soupy
Posts: 4181
Joined: November 14th, 2008, 4:04 pm
Location: Appleton, Wisconsin
Contact:

Post by soupy » December 29th, 2020, 6:11 am

Thanks for the study of public bath houses Kevin.

It seems that eye is doing a fine job of reading. A few errors noted:

The beginning: This recording is in the public domain – I don't know if Sue allows changing the beginning.

20:57 an association of public-spirited citizens, organized in October 1895, and advocated the introduction of rain baths. You said organized in 1889

Craig
The world needs some positive fanaticism.

My Website
Kierkegaards Challenge

KevinS
Posts: 10182
Joined: April 7th, 2019, 8:32 am
Contact:

Post by KevinS » December 29th, 2020, 9:19 am

soupy wrote:
December 29th, 2020, 6:11 am
Thanks for the study of public bath houses Kevin.

It seems that eye is doing a fine job of reading. A few errors noted:

The beginning: This recording is in the public domain – I don't know if Sue allows changing the beginning.

20:57 an association of public-spirited citizens, organized in October 1895, and advocated the introduction of rain baths. You said organized in 1889

Craig
Here are the corrections. Sorry for the trouble.

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf079_publicbaths_gerhard_ks_128kb.mp3 (32:34)

The eye is what it is. If I were a responsible adult, I would go to the doctor, but...

soupy
Posts: 4181
Joined: November 14th, 2008, 4:04 pm
Location: Appleton, Wisconsin
Contact:

Post by soupy » December 29th, 2020, 12:14 pm

Thanks for the corrections Kevin.

PLOK :thumbs:

An eye is hard to replace :D

Craig
The world needs some positive fanaticism.

My Website
Kierkegaards Challenge

ColleenMc
Posts: 1974
Joined: April 9th, 2017, 5:57 pm

Post by ColleenMc » December 31st, 2020, 5:36 pm

I want to read an article from Chambers' Journal, and as is often the case, the article only has initials at the end. Do I say "by 'W.C.'" or "by Anonymous"? WC is likely William Chambers, one of the brothers who co-edited the journal, but I'm not 100% sure....

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai

Sue Anderson
Posts: 4139
Joined: July 24th, 2008, 11:48 am
Location: Midwest, USA
Contact:

Post by Sue Anderson » December 31st, 2020, 7:30 pm

ColleenMc wrote:
December 31st, 2020, 5:36 pm
I want to read an article from Chambers' Journal, and as is often the case, the article only has initials at the end. Do I say "by 'W.C.'" or "by Anonymous"? WC is likely William Chambers, one of the brothers who co-edited the journal, but I'm not 100% sure....

Colleen
Hi Colleen, I'd read it just the way it is signed. That is, I'd say "by W.C."

"Chambers's Edinburgh Journal was a weekly 16-page magazine started by William Chambers in 1832. The first edition was dated 4 February 1832, and priced at one penny. Topics included history, religion, language, and science. William was soon joined as joint editor by his brother Robert, who wrote many of the articles for the early issues, and within a few years the journal had a circulation of 84,000." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chambers%27s_Edinburgh_Journal#cite_note-AboutUs-3

Looking forward to hearing what you have picked out to read! :)

Grothmann
Posts: 965
Joined: March 20th, 2017, 2:44 pm

Post by Grothmann » December 31st, 2020, 10:21 pm

Good New Year:

The Rivers Of The Nameless Dead
By Theodore Dreiser
Read by Dale Grothmann
Time 8:25

Audio at:
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf079_riversnamelessdead_dreiser_dg_128kb.mp3
Text at:
http://www.gutenberg.org/files/61043/61043-h/61043-h.htm#ch_38

This may be slightly more lyrical than is usually published here, but it has an edge I like, and is more reportage than created fiction.

Enjoy
Dale

Sue Anderson
Posts: 4139
Joined: July 24th, 2008, 11:48 am
Location: Midwest, USA
Contact:

Post by Sue Anderson » January 1st, 2021, 7:35 am

Grothmann wrote:
December 31st, 2020, 10:21 pm
Good New Year:

The Rivers Of The Nameless Dead
By Theodore Dreiser
Read by Dale Grothmann
Time 8:25

Audio at:
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf079_riversnamelessdead_dreiser_dg_128kb.mp3
Text at:
http://www.gutenberg.org/files/61043/61043-h/61043-h.htm#ch_38

This may be slightly more lyrical than is usually published here, but it has an edge I like, and is more reportage than created fiction.

Enjoy
Dale
Good morning, Dale, Thank you very much for this moving New Years day meditation! :D

My heartfelt wishes to you and everyone at LibriVox for peace and hope in 2021.

soupy
Posts: 4181
Joined: November 14th, 2008, 4:04 pm
Location: Appleton, Wisconsin
Contact:

Post by soupy » January 1st, 2021, 8:26 pm

Thanks Dale for the sad story about the North (Hudson) River and the people who visited it..


One error noted

5:36 when its palaces have been viewed, its streets disentangled, you said cities disentangled

Craig
The world needs some positive fanaticism.

My Website
Kierkegaards Challenge

Post Reply