[GROUP-RELIG] A Year's Prayer-Meeting Talks, L.A. Banks-mtf

Short Poetry Collections, Short Story Collections, and our Weekly Poetry Project
flutr87

Post by flutr87 » December 26th, 2020, 11:15 am

I'd like to read Sections 14 and 15.

Joan

mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix » December 26th, 2020, 3:12 pm

flutr87 wrote:
December 26th, 2020, 11:15 am
I'd like to read Sections 14 and 15.

Joan
All yours, thanks! :D

mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix » December 26th, 2020, 3:39 pm

BeckyWTX wrote:
December 19th, 2020, 2:35 pm
Chapter 03 mp3 uploaded. Length 10.16.93 mn/sec/sec
Submitted by Rebecca Eden Walker (please use this name in the catalog)

This is my first recording AND first time using Audacity. Please advise me on improvements I should make. I could not find a tutorial on softening S's specifically (on YouTube) -- guidance appreciated on this amazing software.
Thanks. BeckyWTX

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/yearsprayermeetingtalks_03_banks_128kb.mp3
As promised, I went ahead and had a listen to this section, since Lomond hasn't been able to get to it just yet. I thought you did a lovely job! It's certainly PL ok, and I didn't find your S's to be harsh or distracting at all. I really enjoyed the subject matter, too, and thought how very timely it is for our day. The trend towards measuring an education by how much it will pay has, if anything, only gotten stronger, and the study of humanities is struggling as a result. :(

The only suggestion I have for you (and this is just my personal feeling, which I'd have kept to myself if you hadn't asked for feedback) is that I think that saying "quote" and "close quote" is unnecessary and potentially distracting for this type of text. I think I have done it a time or two in cases where some other written work is being quoted at length. If nothing else, it helps people to know just when the quote ends. But for something like this, that is more conversational and narrative, I wouldn't use it, personally. That being said, I'll emphasize that it's just my personal preference, and I'm sure others would have their own opinions as well, so there's no need to change anything. I mention it only as food for thought for your future recordings. :)

I also want to mention, in case you hadn't noticed, that your claimed section in The Uttermost Star is now the last one that that book is waiting on. :) You only claimed it less than a month ago, so I don't want to put undue pressure on you. But if you are willing and able to get to it sooner than the deadline, we could wrap that book up quickly!

Thanks for everything, and great work so far! :thumbs:

gmccord161

Post by gmccord161 » December 27th, 2020, 4:29 pm

I'm new here and not sure how it all works, but if this section isn't assigned, I'd be happy to record it. "10 The Spiritual Farmer p. 57-63" I've passed my 1 min test.
gayle

BeckyWTX

Post by BeckyWTX » December 27th, 2020, 5:02 pm

Thank you for your suggestions MightyFelix. I too thought the quote/close quote was cumbersome (which is why I said it quietly) but thought I had to include for accuracy of text. I'd be thrilled to remove/delete them in an edit! Please advise how that's done on submitted mp3.

My plan is to have the Uttermost Star and my final chapter from A Year's Prayer Meeting done by next Sunday evening so both submitted before the Jan10th deadline of Prayer Meeting. Trying out pop filters this week to improve recording quality.

Thank you again for listening to/reviewing my first Librivox recording.
BeckyWTX

mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix » December 27th, 2020, 9:51 pm

BeckyWTX wrote:
December 27th, 2020, 5:02 pm
Thank you for your suggestions MightyFelix. I too thought the quote/close quote was cumbersome (which is why I said it quietly) but thought I had to include for accuracy of text. I'd be thrilled to remove/delete them in an edit! Please advise how that's done on submitted mp3.
Ah, I see! No, there's no such requirement. As I said, it may actually be helpful for some texts, but most of the time a small pause and maybe slight change of intonation is all that's needed. :)

All you need to do is snip those bits out in the copy that you (hopefully) still have saved on your own computer. Then upload it again using the same file name. It will take the place of the first version, while that first version will be automatically renamed so that it's not lost. (This is important in case of accidental overwrites.) If for any reason you don't have the file any longer, you can always download it from the MW.
My plan is to have the Uttermost Star and my final chapter from A Year's Prayer Meeting done by next Sunday evening so both submitted before the Jan10th deadline of Prayer Meeting. Trying out pop filters this week to improve recording quality.

Thank you again for listening to/reviewing my first Librivox recording.
BeckyWTX
Sounds great! And you're welcome! :D

lomond

Post by lomond » December 28th, 2020, 8:58 pm

Greetings -

Three more chapters (30, 36, and 37) were read in an accomplished manner by mleigh and are now listed as PL OK in the MW.

Not sure exactly what happened but when I was changing the status of these chapters in the MW, Chapter 36 decided to jump up the list and become Chapter 33. Did my fumbling fingers do something?

Lomond

lomond

Post by lomond » December 28th, 2020, 9:52 pm

Greetings -

Here are some notes on Chapters 49, 50, and 51:

Chapter 49:

Time: 01:30 Text: "where you can not help" This phrase is repeated.

Chapter 50: PL OK.

Chapter 51:

Time: 03:02 Text: "They depended on the" This phrase is repeated.

Time: 03:08 Text: "These causes brought about" This phrase is repeated.

Some very interesting and inspiring thoughts about revivals in these three chapters.

Lomond

mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix » December 28th, 2020, 10:10 pm

lomond wrote:
December 28th, 2020, 8:58 pm
Not sure exactly what happened but when I was changing the status of these chapters in the MW, Chapter 36 decided to jump up the list and become Chapter 33. Did my fumbling fingers do something?
Possibly. The MW is designed to be rearranged by dragging and dropping sections. Often it's very convenient, but this wouldn't be the first time that something was dragged and dropped inadvertently. I'll take a look when I can, tomorrow night, I expect. It's getting late here now.

lomond

Post by lomond » December 28th, 2020, 10:17 pm

mightyfelix wrote:
December 26th, 2020, 3:39 pm
BeckyWTX wrote:
December 19th, 2020, 2:35 pm

Chapter 03 mp3 uploaded. Length 10.16.93 mn/sec/sec

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/yearsprayermeetingtalks_03_banks_128kb.mp3
As promised, I went ahead and had a listen to this section, since Lomond hasn't been able to get to it just yet. I thought you did a lovely job! It's certainly PL ok, and I didn't find your S's to be harsh or distracting at all. I really enjoyed the subject matter, too, and thought how very timely it is for our day. The trend towards measuring an education by how much it will pay has, if anything, only gotten stronger, and the study of humanities is struggling as a result. :(

The only suggestion I have for you (and this is just my personal feeling, which I'd have kept to myself if you hadn't asked for feedback) is that I think that saying "quote" and "close quote" is unnecessary and potentially distracting for this type of text. I think I have done it a time or two in cases where some other written work is being quoted at length. If nothing else, it helps people to know just when the quote ends. But for something like this, that is more conversational and narrative, I wouldn't use it, personally. That being said, I'll emphasize that it's just my personal preference, and I'm sure others would have their own opinions as well, so there's no need to change anything. I mention it only as food for thought for your future recordings. :)

Thanks for everything, and great work so far! :thumbs:
Greetings -

I can only echo everything mightyfelix said about your reading, BeckyWTX. Very nicely read for your first time out. Definitely PL OK.

I am definitely looking forward to listening to many more of your offerings.

Lomond

KenricVO

Post by KenricVO » December 29th, 2020, 7:13 am

lomond wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 9:16 pm
KenricVO wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 1:06 pm

Hi Lomond,

I've made the corrections to the recording. By the way, where does the file tell you that it was recorded with a volume at 85.7 dB? I normalized the track to make it sound a little louder:

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/yearsprayermeetingtalks_02_banks_128kb.mp3
Duration - 10:36:40
Greetings -

I use a software called Checker to check the technical aspects of each file. Go to https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Checker for more information.

Lomond
Hi Lomond,

I just wanted to check-in with you and see if my last submission for Chapter 2 (before Christmas) worked for you. I still see a comment in the original post (on page 1) that says "See PL Notes". In my last submission I corrected the mispronounced phrase and increased the volume to be above 85.7 db.

Cheers,

Kenric

mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix » December 29th, 2020, 7:16 am

KenricVO wrote:
December 29th, 2020, 7:13 am
Hi Lomond,

I just wanted to check-in with you and see if my last submission for Chapter 2 (before Christmas) worked for you. I still see a comment in the original post (on page 1) that says "See PL Notes". In my last submission I corrected the mispronounced phrase and increased the volume to be above 85.7 db.

Cheers,

Kenric
Whoops, looks like that's my fault! I overlooked your submission of the corrections and so I neglected to mark the section Ready for Spot PL. I won't get the chance until this afternoon/evening, but it's on my list!

mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix » December 29th, 2020, 7:32 pm

lomond wrote:
December 28th, 2020, 8:58 pm

Lomond
Fixed! :thumbs:

BeckyWTX

Post by BeckyWTX » December 29th, 2020, 8:13 pm

I will edit and resubmit BOTH Chapters 3 and 24, (deleting the quote/close quote), in the next few days. Thanks
BeckyWTX

BeckyWTX

Post by BeckyWTX » December 30th, 2020, 4:35 pm

Chapter 03 has been edited and uploaded again.
Duration of new mp3 file: 10.09.31

Thanks.
BeckyWTX