[group] THE CHILDREN'S BOOK OF CHRISTMAS STORIES - philc

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
melissabuell

Post by melissabuell »

philchenevert wrote: October 29th, 2020, 10:37 am
melissabuell wrote: October 29th, 2020, 8:19 am Hi!
May I please claim #26 The First New England Christmas?

Thanks!
-Melissa
Welcome to our Christmas project! Yes, that section is all yours to enjoy. Have you picked your catalog name yet? This is how you will be found in our catalog. Many of us use our real names but it is up to you, just let me know.
Thanks! My catalog name is my real name: Melissa Buell.
-Melissa Buell-

“The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid.”
― Jane Austen, NORTHANGER ABBEY
loon

Post by loon »

loupo wrote: October 29th, 2020, 10:19 am Hopefully it's right now. Thanks for the feedback by the way. I'm self-taught and guilty of sticking to the settings I know and not fully understanding the technical blurb so it's really interesting to have some pointers.

Chapter 34 - Little Gretchen and the Wooden Shoe - is now PL OK. Thanks for your extra work.

Not to worry about being self-taught - if LibriVox required an advanced degree in LibriVox Production there wouldn't be a lot of Readers! (Nor MCs, BCs, DPLs, Covermakers, etc.) (Now - where's that list of LibriVox acronyms??)
Rich Brown - Minneapolis, MN
mimi0813

Post by mimi0813 »

Hi,
I would like to record #21 please.

Michelle Thompson
melissabuell

Post by melissabuell »

-Melissa Buell-

“The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid.”
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

mimi0813 wrote: October 29th, 2020, 11:22 am Hi,
I would like to record #21 please.

Michelle Thompson
Hi Michelle. I have assigned that section to you but before you record it, let's get your 1 minute test approved first. Don't worry, it will be here waiting for you when that happens :D How would you like to be credited in the catalog? What name? Many of us use our real names but it is up to you. Just let me know.
EDIT : you will need to edit this section before uploading it, do you know how to do that? If not it might be wise to do the weekly poem first which is much shorter. You will still have this seciton,just some practice in editing before tackling it.
Peruvian owls always hunt in pairs because they are inca hoots.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
loon

Post by loon »

Melissa -
At the start of the recording there is too much opening silence before you begin the introduction - you've left around 2 3/4 seconds when it should be just somewhere between 1/2 second and 1 second.

Note only: at around 5:50 there's a missing phrase - "in the midst of our hard life" - this does not materially change the story, so I think we can let that go. The next sentence seems to flow smoothly on without it.

Now for a couple things to keep in mind for future chapters

1) Your overall volume is near the lower limit of the LibriVox standard. You could try boosting the volume a small amount - either as you record or with the 'Amplify...' Effect as a part of your editing. Only amplify if you can do so without making the audio clip, however.

2) Your chapter has quite a bit of background noise - this isn't loud enough to make your chapter fail prooflistening, but you can quiet that background stuff (without harming the sound of your voice) with Audacity's Noise Reduction... Effect. Phil has a quick video tutorial on how to use it at:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFSg9o37HMw

So, please trim the beginning silence in this chapter and upload it again. I can do a spot check and you should then be OK.
melissabuell

Post by melissabuell »

loon wrote: October 29th, 2020, 1:55 pm
Melissa -
At the start of the recording there is too much opening silence before you begin the introduction - you've left around 2 3/4 seconds when it should be just somewhere between 1/2 second and 1 second.

Note only: at around 5:50 there's a missing phrase - "in the midst of our hard life" - this does not materially change the story, so I think we can let that go. The next sentence seems to flow smoothly on without it.

Now for a couple things to keep in mind for future chapters

1) Your overall volume is near the lower limit of the LibriVox standard. You could try boosting the volume a small amount - either as you record or with the 'Amplify...' Effect as a part of your editing. Only amplify if you can do so without making the audio clip, however.

2) Your chapter has quite a bit of background noise - this isn't loud enough to make your chapter fail prooflistening, but you can quiet that background stuff (without harming the sound of your voice) with Audacity's Noise Reduction... Effect. Phil has a quick video tutorial on how to use it at:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFSg9o37HMw

So, please trim the beginning silence in this chapter and upload it again. I can do a spot check and you should then be OK.

Thanks for the feedback. I watched the video and fixed the noise reduction spots that I could find. I trimmed the beginning of the chapter.
New URL: https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/childrensbookofchristmasstories_26_dickinson_128kb.mp3
-Melissa Buell-

loon

Post by loon »

melissabuell wrote: October 29th, 2020, 3:58 pm Thanks for the feedback. I watched the video and fixed the noise reduction spots that I could find. I trimmed the beginning of the chapter.
New URL: https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/childrensbookofchristmasstories_26_dickinson_128kb.mp3
Oh oh. The noise reduction was way too aggressive! Yes, it mostly removed the noise from the recording, but the settings you used left your voice sounding very thin - like it might have over a decidedly old-tech analog phone. (This also reduced the overall volume quite a bit - almost 6 dB - but that's a different problem.)

I hope you saved the version you first uploaded. If you did, you can just trim down the opening silence - skip doing any noise reduction - and re-upload.

If you've deleted the older version, no worries. I saved your first version on my disk and I could reduce the opening silence and upload it in your stead. Just this once, mind you. Let me know.
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Hi Melissa you wrote
Thanks for the feedback. I watched the video and fixed the noise reduction spots that I could find. I trimmed the beginning of the chapter.
This concerns me. Did you apply it repeatedly? You should only do this once. Choose the sample, then apply it to the entire track. I think you may have searched for 'noise' and then repeatedly applied the reduction to the enire track.
melissabuell

Post by melissabuell »

philchenevert wrote: October 29th, 2020, 8:05 pm Hi Melissa you wrote
This concerns me. Did you apply it repeatedly? You should only do this once. Choose the sample, then apply it to the entire track. I think you may have searched for 'noise' and then repeatedly applied the reduction to the enire track.
Yes, I applied it to the different spots of noise. The Audacity version I have is different from the one in the video that you gave the demonstration. I tried to apply it by guessing...When I listened back to it, the noise was gone so I thought it was okay.
-Melissa Buell-

loon

Post by loon »

melissabuell wrote: October 29th, 2020, 9:15 pm Yes, I applied it to the different spots of noise. The Audacity version I have is different from the one in the video that you gave the demonstration. I tried to apply it by guessing...When I listened back to it, the noise was gone so I thought it was okay.
The noise reduction effect shouldn't be used multiple times like that. The process should be:
1)take one chunk of the track where you aren't talking and use that as the noise profile, then
2) select the whole track and run the noise reduction one time.
I compared your first and second uploads and your voice sounds better in the first one. I urge you to go back to that first version. Again, let me know if you haven't saved a copy of that version.
loupo

Post by loupo »

Just finished chapter 14

https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/childrensbookofchristmasstories_14_dickinson_128kb.mp3

It's 18 minutes 32.

Thanks for the support. The checker worked a treat.

Lou
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

loupo wrote: October 30th, 2020, 5:49 am Just finished chapter 14

https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/childrensbookofchristmasstories_14_dickinson_128kb.mp3

It's 18 minutes 32.

Thanks for the support. The checker worked a treat.

Lou
:thumbs:
HLinnae

Post by HLinnae »

I'm reading ch 10, A Story of the Christ-Child, and I'm wondering if/how to include this as the author? "A German legend for Christmas Eve as told by ELIZABETH HARKISON"?
Heidi
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

HLinnae wrote: October 30th, 2020, 7:27 am I'm reading ch 10, A Story of the Christ-Child, and I'm wondering if/how to include this as the author? "A German legend for Christmas Eve as told by ELIZABETH HARKISON"?
A good question. Please read it just as you have it above, that would be fine. :D