[FULL][Magazine][Short Stories]The Rover Vol. 01 No. 01 - kit

Upcoming books fully-subscribed with readers. Check progress here, too
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » November 22nd, 2020, 5:55 am

WoollyLambda wrote:
November 22nd, 2020, 5:53 am
Jinkies!! Yes I meant six, apologies, lol!
ah ok :lol: yes, this section is still available and I can reserve it for you.

However, before you start recording, I would strongly advice to complete a one-minute-test first. This is to check that your technical settings are all up to LV standard.
You can read all about it here: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=1-Minute_Test
Please post the test in the Listeners Wanted forum: viewforum.php?f=21 and someone will check it and give you feedback or advice if needed.

As soon as the test is ok'ed, please post the results back here, and then I can assign you the sections officially.

For the moment, I will reserve the sections for you for one month, to give you time to sort out the test. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. :)

Good luck with the test !

Sonia

WoollyLambda

Post by WoollyLambda » November 22nd, 2020, 5:56 am

Ah, will do!

Sanjana

Post by Sanjana » November 23rd, 2020, 8:54 pm

Hi,
This is Sanjana.
I am a newbie and would like to do this as my 1st.
I would like to claim the last section 7.

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » November 24th, 2020, 12:34 am

Sanjana wrote:
November 23rd, 2020, 8:54 pm
Hi,
This is Sanjana.
I am a newbie and would like to do this as my 1st.
I would like to claim the last section 7.
hello again. I just replied to you in the World Story project, and I'm happy that you are also interested in this project.

Section 7 is now assigned to you. Also here, please read the first post to find details about the intro and the filenaming. The section is actually quite short, so it's a perfect start into recording.

And you are making this project "fully claimed" now :9: which means we leave the "Readers Wanted" forum and go to the "Readers Found" forum. Thank you, and have fun with your first recording. I'm looking forward to your narration. 8-)

Sonia

Sanjana

Post by Sanjana » November 24th, 2020, 12:36 am

Thank you so very much for giving it to me!
Means a lot!
I will do my best n make u proud!

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » November 24th, 2020, 1:32 am

Announcement: as this project is fully claimed, I launched the second issue of the magazine :)

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=83856

Maybe I'll hear some of you in there as well.

Sonia

smithjeanb

Post by smithjeanb » November 25th, 2020, 5:31 am

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/rover0101_1_various_128kb.mp3 Length: 28:56

I hope this is ok. Not my best work. Between the French words and the outdated language, it was a struggle. Feel free to fire me! I won't be insulted :)

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » November 25th, 2020, 6:07 am

smithjeanb wrote:
November 25th, 2020, 5:31 am
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/rover0101_1_various_128kb.mp3 Length: 28:56
I hope this is ok. Not my best work. Between the French words and the outdated language, it was a struggle. Feel free to fire me! I won't be insulted :)
we don't fire people that fast here ;) in any case, you didn't have to fret, I don't think it was badly narrated at all. Yes the text was not so easy to get into, but that is the problem with many old texts. I perfectly understood and followed along with the action here. You narrated it very lively and the French is not bad at all. Definitely a keeper.

However there are a few small corrections to be made still:

> at 1:10: (p. 1) repeat: "as among military men" – one version can be cut

> at 25:45: (p. 4) missed sentence: "Let go the bridle, you red witch !"

> at 28:48: "end of section 1" – please cut "of the Rover". We only need the full ending for the final section

> Checker gives me a failed warning for excessive background noise. Maybe you could run a round of noise-cleaning over the whole file once

The rest is perfect :) Thank you

Sonia

smithjeanb

Post by smithjeanb » November 27th, 2020, 6:28 am

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/rover0101_1_various_128kb.mp3 length 28:54
I didn't get any Checker warnings on mine, so I'm not sure how to tell if the background noise is fixed. I applied "Noise Reduction" to it, but you mentioned "Noise Cleaning." Is that the same thing? Also, how can I tell if that is an issue when I run it through the Checker?

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » November 27th, 2020, 6:53 am

smithjeanb wrote:
November 27th, 2020, 6:28 am
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/rover0101_1_various_128kb.mp3 length 28:54
I didn't get any Checker warnings on mine, so I'm not sure how to tell if the background noise is fixed. I applied "Noise Reduction" to it, but you mentioned "Noise Cleaning." Is that the same thing? Also, how can I tell if that is an issue when I run it through the Checker?
thank you, Jean, it's perfectly edited and now PL ok.

Yes noise reduction and noise cleaning is the same thing. I sometimes use the one or the other term.

For the checker, please have a look at the "Validation" tab (the one ON TOP of the box, not the one at the bottom). Click "Choose validation methods". I have every box there ticked except the "ID3 Metadata" box, because we don't insert the metadata anymore and otherwise we would always get a failed message. But you probably don't have the "Background Noise" box ticked in yours.

Sonia