[COMPLETE] Insomnia Collection Vol. 5 - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
GardenRosie

Post by GardenRosie »

:D
Maybe it's the ripple effect?

Thank you very much for the OK and for the proof listening!
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

GardenRosie wrote: November 29th, 2020, 2:55 pm :D

That reminds me of a theory a college friend told me years ago. He said that all creatures give off subatomic particles when they are asleep, called "Naptrons". When you are around other people who are sleeping, the naptrons they are giving off stick to you (opposite charges you know) and that's why if someone is napping around you (even pets) you inevitably get sleepy and want to take a nap yourself. I told my wife about this theory and decades later we still make "giving off naptron" jokes.

And now you can too!

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai
GardenRosie

Post by GardenRosie »

How funny!
Maybe naptrons can be transmitted electronically? 😆

Thanks for the enduring joke!
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

ColleenMc wrote: November 30th, 2020, 8:51 am
GardenRosie wrote: November 29th, 2020, 2:55 pm :D

That reminds me of a theory a college friend told me years ago. He said that all creatures give off subatomic particles when they are asleep, called "Naptrons". When you are around other people who are sleeping, the naptrons they are giving off stick to you (opposite charges you know) and that's why if someone is napping around you (even pets) you inevitably get sleepy and want to take a nap yourself. I told my wife about this theory and decades later we still make "giving off naptron" jokes.

And now you can too!

Colleen
Of course if one is of the type that can sleep through anything, even a thunderstorm, probably naptrinos are involved. No matter how dense the sleeper. :lol:

Chris
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
FreddyP

Post by FreddyP »

Hello, new reader here, I found this particularly boring part of the encyclopedia about knots (not the bird knot, the rope knot)
http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/40641
With about 7.5k words for the knot section (including the figure captions). Would the knot section be boring enough to contribute? Or would it be unsuitable because there are a number of parts of the text where it references figures?

(I do intend to read this, although please don't mark me down yet, I would like to know more about the details of recording as I am new :oops: )
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Welcome, newbie! :P

Yes, that should work nicely. Just read the "Figure 12" references in the text right where they are and don't worry about reading the captions themselves. As long as you read it in a relaxed manner, there are enough words there to get to about 40-45 minutes, which is plenty for this project. :)

I don't assign sections in this project at all; I let the readers record and submit the file at their leisure. So far I haven't had any issues with duplicate texts. 8-)
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
FreddyP

Post by FreddyP »

Hello! Thanks for the welcome :D

Noted on the figures, thanks for the information.

Ahhh I see, well then, hopefully, you will be seeing me submit my files in a few weeks, I can't wait to bore people to sleep. 8-)
FreddyP

Post by FreddyP »

I have a question, sorry if this should be common knowledge, but, if a sentence reads
" The word is also used for the distance-marks on a log-line, and hence as the equivalent of a nautical mile (see Log)"
Or
" -which, according to the tradition, was cut by Alexander the Great (see Gordium)."

Where the stuff between () references a different section of the encyclopedia, should I read it?

Thanks in advance :D
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

There's no common knowledge on this, because we don't often read encyclopedia entries. :) I'd say, go ahead and read it.
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Tricia,

I'm always so excited to see a new volume of this collection underway! As someone who has been complimented [ :hmm: ] for my soporific reading style, it is a natural place for me to contribute.

• The link you copied from the uploader to your file : https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/ins005_catshow_connstatefair_128kb.flac
• Name of your story: Cat Show Department from the Catalog Program of the Connecticut 1909 Fair
• Author (birth year - death year): Connecticut Fair Association Inc.
• Source from which you read : https://archive.org/details/catalog00conn/page/35/mode/2up
• Length in minutes:seconds of your file: 37:06

Note that some of the felinic names included "Ch". Since I couldn't figure out what this abbreviation stood for, I uniformly skipped it in my reading. And I am quite curious about the participant interactions in preparing for and participating in a show that involved 140 cats ... only a few of which were neutered ... and some of which were surely in heat, as cats cycle in and out every two to three weeks ...

MaryAnn
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Thanks - but you uploaded a flac. ;)
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Cat show PL OK!

How may cats do some of these people own? And how do they keep them from undesirably breeding with each other? :shock:

I would assume that the cats were handled similarly to how they are today at cat shows - they each have their own little cage space and aren't allowed to run around wherever they want. ;) At home, on the other hand...
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Yeah, I wondered how many cats some of these folks had, and how they knew who the mom and dad were for some of the kittens, especially when the same pairing resulted in offspring entered in different show classes. It was a fun read, although I thought they would be more creative in their names (of the cats, not the people).

MaryAnn
FreddyP

Post by FreddyP »

Hello TriciaG, a little update on the recording, I realized that about half of the text of knots are made up of the figure captions, as they are quite lengthy captions detailing the method of tying the knots, so I figured I would include it in the recording (if not the recording will only be about 15 minutes long without them), is that alright?