LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

ThomasGibby wrote: March 22nd, 2021, 9:36 am Hello,

I would like to do 14 and 15.

What are my next steps?

Thanks,
Thomas
Welcome!

In this project, you don't actually claim anything. You find an appropriate text that is PD and will be over 30 minutes of finished recording (over 4500 words or so, at an average reading speed). Then you record it and post it along with the info requested about the text. See the first post instructions for more detailed directions. :)

P.S. You have notes on your 1-minute test: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=86292&p=1870994#p1870994
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
ahibbard

Post by ahibbard »

Hello there,

The Insomnia Collection is a great idea!

I'm thinking about tackling "Fires and Firemen," The Eclectic Magazine of Foreign Literature, Science and Art, Vol. XXXV.--No. I, May 1855, which has a couple of charts.

I'm new to reading charts, and I was wondering if I read the exact wording, left to right, or if I repeat the headings every once in a while.

Thanks,
Anita
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I'm new to reading charts, and I was wondering if I read the exact wording, left to right, or if I repeat the headings every once in a while.
There's no concrete way of reading them. Generally, do what will make sense to the listener. :) Usually I do repeat the headings, unless it's easy to follow the data without them.
ahibbard

Post by ahibbard »

TriciaG wrote: April 7th, 2021, 6:20 am
There's no concrete way of reading them. Generally, do what will make sense to the listener. :) Usually I do repeat the headings, unless it's easy to follow the data without them.

Thanks for the advice.

As this work is 9620 words long, I will probably need to split this into two or even three sections. This is a long-term project for me, so I probably won't post it for some time.

Anita
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Depending on how fast you read and how many tables there are (and how long they take), a 9600-word section is perfect as one section for this. It would be about an hour long. :)
ahibbard

Post by ahibbard »

TriciaG wrote: April 7th, 2021, 11:18 am Depending on how fast you read and how many tables there are (and how long they take), a 9600-word section is perfect as one section for this. It would be about an hour long. :)
Thanks for the advice. :) I'll just read it through and see how long it takes.

Anita
sikta

Post by sikta »

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/ins005_howtowinfriendsandinfluencepeople_carnegie_128kb_(online-audio-converter_com).mp3

Part 1 of How to win friends and influence people
Dale Carnegie 1888-1955
Read from print
31 minutes
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

sikta wrote: April 17th, 2021, 9:31 pm https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/ins005_howtowinfriendsandinfluencepeople_carnegie_128kb_(online-audio-converter_com).mp3

Part 1 of How to win friends and influence people
Dale Carnegie 1888-1955
Read from print
31 minutes
Welcome!

"How to Win Friends and Influence People is a self-help book written by Dale Carnegie, published in 1936" (Wikipedia). Since it was published less than 95 years ago and had its copyright renewed, it's still under copyright. Therefore we cannot use your recording. :(

For future recordings, you'll need to make your file mono (this is in stereo), and the volume needs to come up about 18 dB. (This is at 71 dB, and we aim for 89.) And please remove the _(online-audio-converter_com) part from the file name. ;)

We do STRONGLY encourage a one-minute test (LINK) to check your technical settings. I recommend changing your settings as I noted, then uploading a test using the instructions linked above.
ahibbard

Post by ahibbard »

Hi there,

Here is my recording of Fires and Firemen: from the Eclectic Magazine of Foreign Literature, Science and Art, Vol XXXV No. 1, May 1855, by Anonymous

The link to the text is here: http://gutenberg.org/ebooks/5206

The recording is here: https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/ins005_firesandfiremen_anonymous_128kb.mp3

The time is 67:43.

As always, I appreciate any feedback.

Also, I would like the name Anita Hibbard to appear in the catalogue.

Thanks!

Anita
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Thank you! So far, so good. I will probably listen tomorrow.

(You are in the catalog as Anita Hibbard: https://librivox.org/reader/15965 so you don't need to tell anyone that anymore.) ;)
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I started listening. You read well! There are a lot of spots where the volume gets either really quiet or really loud compared to the surrounding audio. Here's a partial list:

1:39-1:42 - phrase "of one of these engines through the crowded streets" is much louder than the surrounding audio. Try reducing this part by 5 dB (amplify by -5)

5:01-5:11 - "As late as 22 years ago...devouring element" - this part is much quieter than the surrounding audio. Try amplifying by 4 or 5 dB.

5:53 - "On the contrary" - much louder, reduce about 8 dB.

6:44-6:49 - "each office...of its business" too quiet; amplify 8 dB.

7:41-7:43-ish - amplify 8 dB

8:25-8:30 - amplify 8 dB

10:14-10:17 - amplify

10:42-10:46 - amplify

11:15-11:18 - reduce 8 dB

11:32-11:35 - amplify

12:57-13:02 - amplify

14:51-14:58 - amplify

16:19-16:22 - amplify

17:39-17:44 - reduce

18:08-18:11 - reduce

---

Here I stopped. If you would, please go through and adjust these, and then continue through and listen to the recording, amplifying or reducing phrases when they stick out as either really quiet or really loud. :)
ahibbard

Post by ahibbard »

Hi there,

Thank-you for the suggestions on increasing and decreasing the volume. They helped a lot.

I also made a few edits. Here is my revised version:

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/ins005_firesandfiremen_anonymous_128kb.mp3 67:49

As always, I welcome any feedback.

Thanks!
Anita
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Thank you! I plan on proof-listening tomorrow afternoon. :)
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Fires and Firemen:

Good job evening out the volume! It's much better. :) One PL note:

52:36 - "offered a reward of 100l. to elicit information."
That's 100 l (lower case L, which is an abbreviation for pounds).
The font used on the Gutenberg text DOES make it look like 1001, so it's an easy mistake to make!

It's up to you if you want to change it, since it does go by pretty fast in a really long recording.

One bit of feedback/constructive criticism for future recordings: take more pauses, especially between subjects. When a new paragraph introduces a new idea, a second or two of silence will prepare the listener for the new topic. :)
ahibbard

Post by ahibbard »

Hi there,

Thank-you for the information about the abbreviation for British pounds. I wasn't aware that a lower case l could be used.

Here is the corrected version:

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/ins005_firesandfiremen_anonymous_128kb.mp3

Thank-you as well for the feedback about the pauses. My original version was 90 minutes long, with very long pauses, so I reduced them to the point where the entire recording would be under the 70 minute mark. In the future, I'll work on striking a balance. :)

Cheers,

Anita