Short Mystery and Suspense Collection 009 - lt

Upcoming books fully-subscribed with readers. Check progress here, too
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 21186
Joined: September 16th, 2012, 7:07 pm
Location: In the desert

Post by Lynnet » September 15th, 2020, 5:12 pm

Short Mystery and Suspense Collection 009 by Various ( - ).

We are back for the 9th volume of Librivox's Short Mystery and Suspense Collection! Readers should select a short Public Domain story in English to keep listeners on the edge of their seats or scratching their heads. Please note there are other collections for science fiction, horror and ghost stories and general short stories. ( )
  • There is no need to pre-claim
    New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!

    You may select any Public Domain text. If you are uncertain as to copyright status, please ask.

    Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard
    New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard


    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!


    Magic Window:



    BC Admin
  • Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): ( Various) : n/a
  • Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
  • Number of sections (files) this project will have: 15
  • Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: No
  • Original publication date (if known):
  • If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
============================================

Genres for the project: Short Stories/Anthologies

Keywords that describe the book:

============================================

[*]BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: viewtopic.php?p=6430#p6430

Set your recording software to:
Channels: 1 (Mono)
Bit Rate: 128 kbps
Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz


START of recording (Intro)
"Title of Work], by [Author Name]. - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]" . Title of work.

"At the end of the section, say:
"End of [Title], by [Author Name]"
If you wish, say:
"Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
Please leave about 5 seconds of silence at the end of your recording. Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
AFTER recording
Need noise-cleaning?
Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The latest version of Audacity is recommended for noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
Save files as
128 kbps MP3
sms009_shorttitleinoneword_readersinitials_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) (e.g. sms009_greatstory_lt_128kb.mp3) -- DO NOT include words such as 'A' or 'The' in the file name.[/color]


Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
  • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
    Image
    (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
  • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: lt - Lynnet
  • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
  • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
Please post in this thread:
The link from the uploader.
Name of your story
Author (birth year - death year)
Translator if applicable (birth year - death year)
Source from which you read (e.g. Gutenberg etext url)
Length in mm:ss
If it is your first submission, how you would like to appear in the catalog. - please post it in this thread.
Any questions?
Please post below
Any questions?
Please post below
Help us finish:

Charles the Bold by Ruth Putnam 10 sections remaining
King Mombo 1 sections remaining
Hinduism and Buddhism Vol. 3 21 sections remaining

Grothmann
Posts: 874
Joined: March 20th, 2017, 2:44 pm

Post by Grothmann » September 17th, 2020, 8:42 am

Good Morning:


The Dice Thrower — By Sidney Southgate
(Thomas Moult)
Read by Dale Grothmann
Time 23:32

Audio at:
https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/sms009_dicethrower_dg_128kb.mp3

Text at:
http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/9363

I included the name the story was published under, and the actual name of the author.
I will attempt to be more judicious about my sources, but i try to use the easiest to read.
Thank you for the new collection.

Dale

Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 21186
Joined: September 16th, 2012, 7:07 pm
Location: In the desert

Post by Lynnet » September 17th, 2020, 8:59 am

Grothmann wrote:
September 17th, 2020, 8:42 am
Good Morning:


The Dice Thrower — By Sidney Southgate
(Thomas Moult)
Read by Dale Grothmann
Time 23:32

Audio at:
https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/sms009_dicethrower_dg_128kb.mp3

Text at:
http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/9363

I included the name the story was published under, and the actual name of the author.
I will attempt to be more judicious about my sources, but i try to use the easiest to read.
Thank you for the new collection.

Dale
Thank you.
The google Drive sources are not necessarily bad, just unstable, so links won't always work later.
Help us finish:

Charles the Bold by Ruth Putnam 10 sections remaining
King Mombo 1 sections remaining
Hinduism and Buddhism Vol. 3 21 sections remaining

cherylstewart
Posts: 2371
Joined: October 8th, 2011, 3:39 pm

Post by cherylstewart » September 17th, 2020, 10:38 am

Section 1 "The Dice Thrower" PL OK
Creepy

Grothmann
Posts: 874
Joined: March 20th, 2017, 2:44 pm

Post by Grothmann » September 17th, 2020, 7:59 pm

Good Evening:

The Perfect Crime
By H.A. Rippley
Read by Dale Grothmann
Time 3:17

Audio at:
https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/sms009_perfectcrime_dg_128kb.mp3

Text at:
http://www.gutenberg.org/files/50603/50603-h/50603-h.htm#mys_71

I know someone read this before, a while ago, but it is still a good story.

Thanks
Dale

Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 21186
Joined: September 16th, 2012, 7:07 pm
Location: In the desert

Post by Lynnet » September 17th, 2020, 9:36 pm

Grothmann wrote:
September 17th, 2020, 7:59 pm
Good Evening:

The Perfect Crime
By H.A. Rippley
Read by Dale Grothmann
Time 3:17

Audio at:
https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/sms009_perfectcrime_dg_128kb.mp3

Text at:
http://www.gutenberg.org/files/50603/50603-h/50603-h.htm#mys_71

I know someone read this before, a while ago, but it is still a good story.

Thanks
Dale
Thank you
Help us finish:

Charles the Bold by Ruth Putnam 10 sections remaining
King Mombo 1 sections remaining
Hinduism and Buddhism Vol. 3 21 sections remaining

Grothmann
Posts: 874
Joined: March 20th, 2017, 2:44 pm

Post by Grothmann » September 18th, 2020, 10:09 am

Good Morning:

The Mystery of the One-Legged Man
By J. B. Hawley
(From Black Mask Magazine December 1921)
Read by Dale Grothmann
Time 24:14

Audio at:
https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/sms009_mysteryoneleggedman_dg_128kb.mp3

Text at:
https://archive.org/details/bm_1921_12/page/n49/mode/2up

Thanks
Dale

cherylstewart
Posts: 2371
Joined: October 8th, 2011, 3:39 pm

Post by cherylstewart » September 18th, 2020, 12:39 pm

Section 2 "The Perfect Crime" Pl OK

Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 21186
Joined: September 16th, 2012, 7:07 pm
Location: In the desert

Post by Lynnet » September 18th, 2020, 2:30 pm

Grothmann wrote:
September 18th, 2020, 10:09 am
Good Morning:

The Mystery of the One-Legged Man
By J. B. Hawley
(From Black Mask Magazine December 1921)
Read by Dale Grothmann
Time 24:14

Audio at:
https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/sms009_mysteryoneleggedman_dg_128kb.mp3

Text at:
https://archive.org/details/bm_1921_12/page/n49/mode/2up

Thanks
Dale
Thank you
Help us finish:

Charles the Bold by Ruth Putnam 10 sections remaining
King Mombo 1 sections remaining
Hinduism and Buddhism Vol. 3 21 sections remaining

Grothmann
Posts: 874
Joined: March 20th, 2017, 2:44 pm

Post by Grothmann » September 18th, 2020, 10:38 pm

Good Evening:

Parthian shot
by Robert Peel Nobel
Read by Dale Grothmann
Time 22:57


Audio at:
https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/sms009_parthianshot_dg_128kb.mp3

Text at:
https://www.pulpmags.org/collections/pdf/dsm19160305.pdf

Page 121

And yes, I had to look it up too...

Thanks
Dale

Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 21186
Joined: September 16th, 2012, 7:07 pm
Location: In the desert

Post by Lynnet » September 19th, 2020, 6:53 am

Grothmann wrote:
September 18th, 2020, 10:38 pm
Good Evening:

Parthian shot
by Robert Peel Nobel
Read by Dale Grothmann
Time 22:57


Audio at:
https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/sms009_parthianshot_dg_128kb.mp3

Text at:
https://www.pulpmags.org/collections/pdf/dsm19160305.pdf

Page 121

And yes, I had to look it up too...

Thanks
Dale
Thank you
Help us finish:

Charles the Bold by Ruth Putnam 10 sections remaining
King Mombo 1 sections remaining
Hinduism and Buddhism Vol. 3 21 sections remaining

Grothmann
Posts: 874
Joined: March 20th, 2017, 2:44 pm

Post by Grothmann » September 20th, 2020, 9:42 pm

Hi all"

I hate it when life gets in the way of my hobbies. I will be back after October 1, and if there are still vacancies, have some additional stories to submit.

Thanks
Dale

Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 21186
Joined: September 16th, 2012, 7:07 pm
Location: In the desert

Post by Lynnet » September 21st, 2020, 4:39 am

Grothmann wrote:
September 20th, 2020, 9:42 pm
Hi all"

I hate it when life gets in the way of my hobbies. I will be back after October 1, and if there are still vacancies, have some additional stories to submit.

Thanks
Dale
Hope all is well
Help us finish:

Charles the Bold by Ruth Putnam 10 sections remaining
King Mombo 1 sections remaining
Hinduism and Buddhism Vol. 3 21 sections remaining

cherylstewart
Posts: 2371
Joined: October 8th, 2011, 3:39 pm

Post by cherylstewart » September 22nd, 2020, 8:57 am

Miss you Dale - looks like all of my readers have gone to attend to life. :)
Pretty sure there will be vacancies :lol:

Grothmann
Posts: 874
Joined: March 20th, 2017, 2:44 pm

Post by Grothmann » October 2nd, 2020, 10:26 pm

Hi again.

Short vacation. Who goes to LA for clean air??

Anyway--

The Killer
By Harold Ward
From Weird Tales Magazine, February 1924
Read by Dale Grothmann
Time 10:37

Audio at:
https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/sms009_killer_dg_128kb.mp3

Text at:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1aiJ_jyQ5sT0CcVhQMc_LwanNQO1bji5c/view
(page 91 -- broken up into sections)

Enjoy.
Dale

Post Reply