COMPLETE: Short Nonfiction Collection, Vol. 075 - jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Post Reply
Sue Anderson
Posts: 3951
Joined: July 24th, 2008, 11:48 am
Location: Midwest, USA
Contact:

Post by Sue Anderson » May 21st, 2020, 6:46 pm

soupy wrote:
May 21st, 2020, 5:44 pm
The History of British India Chapter 1
by James Mill 1773-1836 (1817)

50:16

Craig
Thanks, Craig! :) I'll try to PL tomorrow.

msfry
Posts: 6861
Joined: June 4th, 2013, 9:09 am
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Contact:

Post by msfry » May 21st, 2020, 8:19 pm

Here's one for the collection:

Prohibition,

this is an interview with Robert G. Ingersoll in 1888 (by the New York World), 32 years before the 18th amendment was passed.
from The Works of Robert G. Ingersoll, Volume 8, published 1990
http://www.gutenberg.org/files/38813/38813-h/38813-h.htm#Hlink0079

He got a bunch of this wrong, but in the end prohibition failed, so his instincts proved right! You can't buck the will of the majority, right or wrong.

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf075_prohibition_rgingersoll_mtf_128kb.mp3 20:14
Michele Fry, CC
"There is no frigate like a book to take us lands away, Nor any coursers like a page of prancing poetry." ~ Emily Dickinson
Love Stories #3
Dreams Collection #2
Coffee Break Collection #28 - HOBBIES

soupy
Posts: 3831
Joined: November 14th, 2008, 4:04 pm
Location: Appleton, Wisconsin
Contact:

Post by soupy » May 22nd, 2020, 6:41 am

Thanks for a creative piece of writing about water Daniel :thumbs:

The reading is PLOK however:

At the END, say: "End of [Title], by [Author Name]"
If you wish, you may also say: "Read by...your name."

No need to say this is a librivox recording etc ...

Craig
To murder in cold blood all joy in life for him who has no money is a dreadful thing and that is what the moneyed man does.

Help us finish
The Spirit of the Age.


My Website
Kierkegaards Challenge

soupy
Posts: 3831
Joined: November 14th, 2008, 4:04 pm
Location: Appleton, Wisconsin
Contact:

Post by soupy » May 22nd, 2020, 7:04 am

Thanks for the nice piece about music Lynette :thumbs:

I wasn't educated up to music :(

One error:

15:46 the rules of musical science for the laws of musical philosophy." – you said physical philosophy

Craig
To murder in cold blood all joy in life for him who has no money is a dreadful thing and that is what the moneyed man does.

Help us finish
The Spirit of the Age.


My Website
Kierkegaards Challenge

Sue Anderson
Posts: 3951
Joined: July 24th, 2008, 11:48 am
Location: Midwest, USA
Contact:

Post by Sue Anderson » May 22nd, 2020, 9:59 am

msfry wrote:
May 21st, 2020, 8:19 pm
Here's one for the collection:

Prohibition,

this is an interview with Robert G. Ingersoll in 1888 (by the New York World), 32 years before the 18th amendment was passed.
from The Works of Robert G. Ingersoll, Volume 8, published 1990
http://www.gutenberg.org/files/38813/38813-h/38813-h.htm#Hlink0079

He got a bunch of this wrong, but in the end prohibition failed, so his instincts proved right! You can't buck the will of the majority, right or wrong.

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf075_prohibition_rgingersoll_mtf_128kb.mp3 20:14
Hi Michele, Thanks for bringing another selection from Robert Ingersoll to the SNF! :D

"Behind every law there must be an intelligent and powerful public opinion. A law, to be enforced, must be the expression of such powerful and intelligent opinion; otherwise it becomes a dead letter..."

I see you're including the initial from the author's first name in your file name; we're trying for uniformity in file names at the SNF and are using just the last name (which helps in cataloging). After Craig has PL'd would you please revise your file name and re-upload? Many thanks for doing so. :D

JachinandBoaz
Posts: 131
Joined: May 1st, 2020, 4:18 pm

Post by JachinandBoaz » May 22nd, 2020, 10:34 am

soupy wrote:
May 22nd, 2020, 6:41 am
Thanks for a creative piece of writing about water Daniel :thumbs:

The reading is PLOK however:

At the END, say: "End of [Title], by [Author Name]"
If you wish, you may also say: "Read by...your name."

No need to say this is a librivox recording etc ...

Craig
Thanks, Craig!

I uploaded the updated file with those corrections: https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf075_watermusic_huxley_dwd_128kb.mp3

Daniel

soupy
Posts: 3831
Joined: November 14th, 2008, 4:04 pm
Location: Appleton, Wisconsin
Contact:

Post by soupy » May 22nd, 2020, 11:06 am

Thanks Daniel

water music is PLOK :thumbs:

Craig
To murder in cold blood all joy in life for him who has no money is a dreadful thing and that is what the moneyed man does.

Help us finish
The Spirit of the Age.


My Website
Kierkegaards Challenge

msfry
Posts: 6861
Joined: June 4th, 2013, 9:09 am
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Contact:

Post by msfry » May 22nd, 2020, 11:07 am

Sue Anderson wrote:
May 22nd, 2020, 9:59 am

I see you're including the initial from the author's first name in your file name; we're trying for uniformity in file names at the SNF and are using just the last name (which helps in cataloging). After Craig has PL'd would you please revise your file name and re-upload? Many thanks for doing so. :D
Only to differentiate Robert G. from Ernest Ingersoll, both in the LV collection. But okay, I'll change it if you so wish it.
Michele Fry, CC
"There is no frigate like a book to take us lands away, Nor any coursers like a page of prancing poetry." ~ Emily Dickinson
Love Stories #3
Dreams Collection #2
Coffee Break Collection #28 - HOBBIES

soupy
Posts: 3831
Joined: November 14th, 2008, 4:04 pm
Location: Appleton, Wisconsin
Contact:

Post by soupy » May 22nd, 2020, 11:31 am

Thanks for the letter from Blake Sue - had to take the soldier all the way down the road :D

PLOK :thumbs:

Craig
To murder in cold blood all joy in life for him who has no money is a dreadful thing and that is what the moneyed man does.

Help us finish
The Spirit of the Age.


My Website
Kierkegaards Challenge

soupy
Posts: 3831
Joined: November 14th, 2008, 4:04 pm
Location: Appleton, Wisconsin
Contact:

Post by soupy » May 22nd, 2020, 12:03 pm

Thanks for the discussion about prohibition - It took World War I to get it passed - and the women's vote.

A few errors noted:

Intro —New York World, October 21, 1888. You said 1881

9:22 It adds to the sociability of the family. You said of life

11:31 It is possible that our civilization to-day rests upon the price of alcohol - you said is it possible
All strength by which temptation is resisted must come from the inside. Virtue does not depend upon the obstacles to be overcome; virtue depends upon what is inside of the man. A man is not honest because the safe of the bank is perfectly secure. Upon the honest man the condition of the safe has no effect. We will never succeed in raising great and splendid people by keeping them out of temptation. Great people withstand temptation. Great people have what may be called moral muscle, moral force. They are poised within themselves. They understand their relations to the world.
Clinton Fisk 1888 Prohibition Party Ticket

Craig
To murder in cold blood all joy in life for him who has no money is a dreadful thing and that is what the moneyed man does.

Help us finish
The Spirit of the Age.


My Website
Kierkegaards Challenge

Sue Anderson
Posts: 3951
Joined: July 24th, 2008, 11:48 am
Location: Midwest, USA
Contact:

Post by Sue Anderson » May 22nd, 2020, 3:13 pm

msfry wrote:
May 22nd, 2020, 11:07 am
Sue Anderson wrote:
May 22nd, 2020, 9:59 am

I see you're including the initial from the author's first name in your file name; we're trying for uniformity in file names at the SNF and are using just the last name (which helps in cataloging). After Craig has PL'd would you please revise your file name and re-upload? Many thanks for doing so. :D
Only to differentiate Robert G. from Ernest Ingersoll, both in the LV collection. But okay, I'll change it if you so wish it.
Thanks, Michelle! :) I appreciate your pointing out that there are two Ingersoll's; I will be extra careful to select Robert G. when I enter the author in the section compiler!

Sue Anderson
Posts: 3951
Joined: July 24th, 2008, 11:48 am
Location: Midwest, USA
Contact:

Post by Sue Anderson » May 22nd, 2020, 3:27 pm

soupy wrote:
May 21st, 2020, 5:44 pm
The History of British India Chapter 1
by James Mill 1773-1836 (1817)

https://archive.org/details/historyofbritish1817mill/page/2/mode/1up

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf075_britishindia_mill_cc_128kb.mp3

50:16

Craig
Thanks, Craig, for this detailed study of European exploration and the establishment of Eastern trade routes! :) I was particularly interested in James' discussion of trade between the Philippines and New Spain (Mexico), which bypassed old Spain: "To Manilla, the capital of the [Spanish] Philippine colony, the Chinese, who resorted thither in great numbers, brought all the precious commodities of India; and two ships were sent annually from New Spain, which carried to the Philippines the silver of the American mines, and returned with the fine productions of the East."

PL OK!

soupy
Posts: 3831
Joined: November 14th, 2008, 4:04 pm
Location: Appleton, Wisconsin
Contact:

Post by soupy » May 22nd, 2020, 3:40 pm

Thanks Sue :D

Mill wrote one long history about Britian and India. He said there was not a book that covered the subject when he wrote it but just scattered information. He also said that the British in India didn't know much about the people because they stayed in their tents because of the heat. from the intro

Craig
To murder in cold blood all joy in life for him who has no money is a dreadful thing and that is what the moneyed man does.

Help us finish
The Spirit of the Age.


My Website
Kierkegaards Challenge

msfry
Posts: 6861
Joined: June 4th, 2013, 9:09 am
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Contact:

Post by msfry » May 22nd, 2020, 3:53 pm

Sue Anderson wrote:
May 22nd, 2020, 3:13 pm
msfry wrote:
May 22nd, 2020, 11:07 am
Sue Anderson wrote:
May 22nd, 2020, 9:59 am

I see you're including the initial from the author's first name in your file name; we're trying for uniformity in file names at the SNF and are using just the last name (which helps in cataloging). After Craig has PL'd would you please revise your file name and re-upload? Many thanks for doing so. :D
Only to differentiate Robert G. from Ernest Ingersoll, both in the LV collection. But okay, I'll change it if you so wish it.
Thanks, Michelle! :) I appreciate your pointing out that there are two Ingersoll's; I will be extra careful to select Robert G. when I enter the author in the section compiler!
So do I change the filename or not?
Michele Fry, CC
"There is no frigate like a book to take us lands away, Nor any coursers like a page of prancing poetry." ~ Emily Dickinson
Love Stories #3
Dreams Collection #2
Coffee Break Collection #28 - HOBBIES

Sue Anderson
Posts: 3951
Joined: July 24th, 2008, 11:48 am
Location: Midwest, USA
Contact:

Post by Sue Anderson » May 22nd, 2020, 6:08 pm

Hi, Michele, Yes, please change the file name to ingersoll along with Craig's requested edits:
soupy wrote:
May 22nd, 2020, 12:03 pm
Thanks for the discussion about prohibition - It took World War I to get it passed - and the women's vote.

A few errors noted:

Intro —New York World, October 21, 1888. You said 1881

9:22 It adds to the sociability of the family. You said of life

11:31 It is possible that our civilization to-day rests upon the price of alcohol - you said is it possible
All strength by which temptation is resisted must come from the inside. Virtue does not depend upon the obstacles to be overcome; virtue depends upon what is inside of the man. A man is not honest because the safe of the bank is perfectly secure. Upon the honest man the condition of the safe has no effect. We will never succeed in raising great and splendid people by keeping them out of temptation. Great people withstand temptation. Great people have what may be called moral muscle, moral force. They are poised within themselves. They understand their relations to the world.
Clinton Fisk 1888 Prohibition Party Ticket

Craig

Post Reply