COMPLETE - [POETRY] How Salvator Won and Other Recitations by Ella Wheeler Wilcox ) - lny

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

jstark523 wrote: April 27th, 2020, 1:47 pm I would like to read How Salvator Won. My pseudonym can be the same as my username Jstark523.
Have you completed your one-minute test recording yet and had it approved?
We do request that you do that before asking for any projects to record.
If you need more information on that, please read through the Newbie Guide to Recording (Link under point to of the head post of this project) You find a section in there on how to complete that step.
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

jennlea wrote: April 27th, 2020, 4:35 pm Had a chance to read through some more. Can I add 38 and 52 to my claim?
Sure thing!
Thanks.
~ Larry
cadastra

Post by cadastra »

Section 2 proof-listen (PL) notes:

Welcome to LibriVox. You have a lovely reading voice, and we are glad to have you. We usually ask that new readers complete a 1-Minute Test to ensure that all technical specifications are correct. However, I have checked 1-Minute Tests before; thus, I can treat Section 2 like your 1-Minute Test. Have you heard of Checker? You can check the technical specifications of your files against LibriVox standards using the program - https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Checker.

The only technical issue with your file is that the volume is 79 dB. We aim for about 89 dB, with an acceptable range of 87-91 dB. You can adjust the input volume before recording to avoid using the amplify feature in Audacity during post-processing. The input volume is the level at which your recording device is receiving your voice while you read. You want to avoid having it set too low or too high. (In your case, it seems the input volume is set too low.) For more information on how to set the input volume, visit the following page in the LibriVox wiki: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Setting_Recording_Input_Level

Adjusting the input volume will help in the future, but Section 2 will need to be amplified, as it has already been recorded. In Audacity, select the whole recording. Click Effect > Amplify. In the Amplification box, enter the number +10. Verify that the file is around 89 dB using Checker.

N.B. Amplification also increases the volume of any background noise. Based on the current quality of the file, I don't anticipate background noise being a problem. However, if you discover that there is significant background noise after you increase the volume of the file, you can use the noise-cleaning feature in Audacity to reduce the noise. To perform noise cleaning, follow the instructions here: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Noise_Cleaning

Now, onto the reading itself...

-At 01:09, you added the word "there" into the sentence. The sentence should read "stood taking the plaudits as his only due," NOT "stood there taking the plaudits as his only due."

-At 02:36, you added the word the "the" into the sentence and the word "courage" was unclear: The sentence should read "and now with new courage," NOT "and now with the new courage."

-At 02:58, you changed the word "one" to "once." The sentence should read "one more mighty plunge," NOT "once more mighty plunge."

-At 03:06, you changed the word "great" to "grace." The sentence should read "the great race is done," NOT "the grace race is done."

-At 03:39, you added the word "his" to the sentence. The sentence should read "down into the dust let old records be hurled," NOT "own into the dust let the old records be hurled."

-At 03:46, there is a background noise that sounds like a sigh.

-At 03:53, you do NOT need to include "End of How Salvator Won and Other Recitations by Ella Wheeler Wilcox," as this is the end of the section, not the end of the book. (You do, however, need to include "End of poem. This recording is in the public domain.")

-5 seconds of silence at the end of the recording will suffice. You have included 8 seconds of silence.

Once you have made the above changes, reupload using the same file name. Post in this thread when you have uploaded the edited file. Don't forget to include the duration.

Edit: Cross-posted with Larry. If you make the edits and the recording is included in the project, you will need to let us know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog. Thanks.
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Section 49 - The Blue Danube

https://librivox.org/uploads/linny/salvator_49_wilcox_128kb.mp3
3:20

I tried to do this to the accompaniment of the Blue Danube waltz as specified but I could not get the words to fit the music unless I distorted some words enough to make them incomprehensible (eg "to-ge-e-ther"). So I have used an improvised tune of my own which is loosely based on the traditional Eton Boating Song which was first performed in 1863 and so should be PD by now. If you don't like my sung version I will re-do it as a spoken recitation. :hmm:
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

alanmapstone wrote: April 28th, 2020, 9:10 am Section 49 - The Blue Danube

I tried to do this to the accompaniment of the Blue Danube waltz as specified but I could not get the words to fit the music unless I distorted some words enough to make them incomprehensible (eg "to-ge-e-ther"). So I have used an improvised tune of my own which is loosely based on the traditional Eton Boating Song which was first performed in 1863 and so should be PD by now. If you don't like my sung version I will re-do it as a spoken recitation. :hmm:
Ah! Well, the not says with the Blue Danube as an accompaniment, not necessarily that is sung to the tune. But, hey, who knows, and given what she says in her preface (which I will soon have in the description), this volume is intended for creativity! So, I say, "bravo" and welcome this rendition.

Our DPL will give you a full report, of course.
~ Larry
julianpratley

Post by julianpratley »

Could I please have: 4, 7, 14, 17, 26, 31, 32
“It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.”
― Terry Pratchett, The Last Continent
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

julianpratley wrote: April 28th, 2020, 4:44 pm Could I please have: 4, 7, 14, 17, 26, 31, 32
There you go!
Thanks for joining the project. :)
~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

OK I've added you to the LV catalog, under your screen name as requested, and put your recording in the MW window, marked See PL Notes.

Just click on your name in the MW to see your personal catalog page where you can track all of your LV work. Once you get these initial tech issues down, you will be sailing along!

WELCOME TO LIBRIVOX :clap:
~ Larry
cadastra

Post by cadastra »

alanmapstone wrote: April 28th, 2020, 9:10 am Section 49 - The Blue Danube

Section 49 is PL OK and sounds beautiful, well done.
cadastra

Post by cadastra »

Sections 1, 15, and 20 are PL OK.

Section 11 PL notes:
At 0:56, the text reads "and with laughter and song we went speeding along." I heard "and with laughter and song he went speeding along."
svonb002

Post by svonb002 »

Hello. May I claim sections 12, 13, 22, 40, and 53?
~ Stefan V.
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

svonb002 wrote: April 28th, 2020, 6:33 pm Hello. May I claim sections 12, 13, 22, 40, and 53?
Thanks, Stefan!
These are yours.
~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

cadastra wrote: April 28th, 2020, 6:21 pm
Section 11 PL notes:
At 0:56, the text reads "and with laughter and song we went speeding along." I heard "and with laughter and song he went speeding along."
Excellent pick up!
I missed it on two edits. One letter changes the meaning.

I've corrected the file and marked it Ready for Spot PL

Thanks. :thumbs:
~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

~ Larry