~ [FULL/ESSAYS] Goose-Quill Papers by Louise Imogen Guiney -jo

Short Poetry Collections, Short Story Collections, and our Weekly Poetry Project
Post Reply
LCantoni
Posts: 47
Joined: January 19th, 2020, 9:14 am
Location: The Berkshires
Contact:

Post by LCantoni » May 9th, 2020, 6:02 pm

bluechien wrote:
May 9th, 2020, 4:13 pm
Headed in to PL 8 and 12 ...
-----

8 and 12 are PL OK! Wonderful listening, yet again. :9:
Thank you! :9:
Linda

"You see, books have souls, like people." Edith Wharton, Hudson River Bracketed.

silverquill
Posts: 12861
Joined: May 25th, 2013, 9:11 pm
Location: Pittsfield, New Hampshire USA

Post by silverquill » May 9th, 2020, 8:23 pm

Thanks again, Eva, for you kind PL. :D
~Larry


Celebrating 7 years with LibriVox today

bluechien
Posts: 1236
Joined: January 6th, 2017, 6:58 pm
Location: Laurentia

Post by bluechien » May 10th, 2020, 8:38 am

I feel almost a little guilty PLing these because they're such a pleasure. :oops: This project attracts great readers, and each essay Guiney does is never that sort of mechanical kind where you can guess the structure ahead of time. It's a complete box of flying unknowns. Guiney reminds me here of what Hazlitt wrote about Shakespeare:

It cannot be said of Shakespeare, as was said of some one, that he was 'without o'erflowing full'. He was full, even to o'erflowing. He gave heaped measure, running over. This was his greatest fault. He was only in danger 'of losing distinction in his thoughts' (to borrow his own expression).

:D
Eva D
in which letters are written not in Spanish, not in Greek, not in Latin, not in shorthand
but in plain American which cats and dogs can read!

LCantoni
Posts: 47
Joined: January 19th, 2020, 9:14 am
Location: The Berkshires
Contact:

Post by LCantoni » May 10th, 2020, 8:58 am

bluechien wrote:
May 10th, 2020, 8:38 am
I feel almost a little guilty PLing these because they're such a pleasure. :oops: This project attracts great readers, and each essay Guiney does is never that sort of mechanical kind where you can guess the structure ahead of time. It's a complete box of flying unknowns. Guiney reminds me here of what Hazlitt wrote about Shakespeare:

It cannot be said of Shakespeare, as was said of some one, that he was 'without o'erflowing full'. He was full, even to o'erflowing. He gave heaped measure, running over. This was his greatest fault. He was only in danger 'of losing distinction in his thoughts' (to borrow his own expression).

:D
When I worked on this book at Distributed Proofreaders, I had a lot more fun with it than I did with her poetry, exactly because you never knew what delightful surprises you'd find in the essays. :D
Linda

"You see, books have souls, like people." Edith Wharton, Hudson River Bracketed.

bluechien
Posts: 1236
Joined: January 6th, 2017, 6:58 pm
Location: Laurentia

Post by bluechien » May 10th, 2020, 9:43 am

LCantoni wrote:
May 10th, 2020, 8:58 am
When I worked on this book at Distributed Proofreaders, I had a lot more fun with it than I did with her poetry, exactly because you never knew what delightful surprises you'd find in the essays. :D
This ... is so true ... :)

By the way Linda, your command of pronunciation even in the most challenging terrain is quite amazing! I'm tempted to follow you around to learn how my native tongue is spoken. :wink:
Eva D
in which letters are written not in Spanish, not in Greek, not in Latin, not in shorthand
but in plain American which cats and dogs can read!

LCantoni
Posts: 47
Joined: January 19th, 2020, 9:14 am
Location: The Berkshires
Contact:

Post by LCantoni » May 10th, 2020, 9:59 am

bluechien wrote:
May 10th, 2020, 9:43 am
LCantoni wrote:
May 10th, 2020, 8:58 am
When I worked on this book at Distributed Proofreaders, I had a lot more fun with it than I did with her poetry, exactly because you never knew what delightful surprises you'd find in the essays. :D
This ... is so true ... :)

By the way Linda, your command of pronunciation even in the most challenging terrain is quite amazing! I'm tempted to follow you around to learn how my native tongue is spoken. :wink:
:lol: :lol: :lol: Thank you! I'm a native English speaker (with a New York accent I'm trying hard to suppress) - I have some French and a lot of Italian, but there were a couple of English words in this book whose pronunciation I had to look up, so I'll probably need to follow you around for that! :D
Linda

"You see, books have souls, like people." Edith Wharton, Hudson River Bracketed.

twizzlersEffect
Posts: 5
Joined: April 24th, 2020, 12:16 pm

Post by twizzlersEffect » May 18th, 2020, 10:08 am

Chapter 17

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/goosequillpapers_17_guiney_128kb.mp3
4:28

Sorry for the delay and not replying to messages, I had to record a few times and could not find out how to direct write messages.

silverquill
Posts: 12861
Joined: May 25th, 2013, 9:11 pm
Location: Pittsfield, New Hampshire USA

Post by silverquill » May 18th, 2020, 10:11 am

twizzlersEffect wrote:
May 18th, 2020, 10:08 am
Chapter 17

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/goosequillpapers_17_guiney_128kb.mp3
4:28

Sorry for the delay and not replying to messages, I had to record a few times and could not find out how to direct write messages.
Thank you!
Glad to have your contribution.

There is only one correction needed.
At the beginning, we can have no more than one second of silence, and you have four seconds.
So, just trim this and upload again under the same file name and post here again.

Just a reading note: I did find the pace quite rushed which made portions more difficult to understand. No need to change anything, but something to keep in mind for future recordings. It's a common challenge - to slow down more than we think is normal.
~Larry


Celebrating 7 years with LibriVox today

twizzlersEffect
Posts: 5
Joined: April 24th, 2020, 12:16 pm

Post by twizzlersEffect » May 18th, 2020, 11:11 am

silverquill wrote:
May 18th, 2020, 10:11 am
twizzlersEffect wrote:
May 18th, 2020, 10:08 am
Chapter 17

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/goosequillpapers_17_guiney_128kb.mp3
4:28

Sorry for the delay and not replying to messages, I had to record a few times and could not find out how to direct write messages.
Thank you!
Glad to have your contribution.

There is only one correction needed.
At the beginning, we can have no more than one second of silence, and you have four seconds.
So, just trim this and upload again under the same file name and post here again.

Just a reading note: I did find the pace quite rushed which made portions more difficult to understand. No need to change anything, but something to keep in mind for future recordings. It's a common challenge - to slow down more than we think is normal.
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/goosequillpapers_17_guiney_128kb.mp3
4:25

Thank you, I trimmed the beginning. I will keep the speed in mind for the future

silverquill
Posts: 12861
Joined: May 25th, 2013, 9:11 pm
Location: Pittsfield, New Hampshire USA

Post by silverquill » May 18th, 2020, 11:19 am

twizzlersEffect wrote:
May 18th, 2020, 11:11 am

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/goosequillpapers_17_guiney_128kb.mp3
4:25

Thank you, I trimmed the beginning. I will keep the speed in mind for the future
Excellent!
Now PL OK. :thumbs:
~Larry


Celebrating 7 years with LibriVox today

Post Reply