[COMPLETE] The Rural Magazine and Literary Evening Fire-Side Vol 1 No 1 by Various - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

JackCalloway wrote: April 1st, 2020, 8:51 am Just finished section 3. My first recording...be gentle :)

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/ruralmagazinevol1no1_3_various_128kb.mp3.mp3 (4:37)
Congratulations on your first recording!! :clap:
You have a lovely reading voice and style. Very clear :thumbs:
I got the recording at 4:37. But there was some problem, sounded like electric interference or something that truncates the recording at places.
There might have been a problem while uploading, or when exporting. Check to see how your copy of the file sounds around 1:05 and 1:15. If it sounds OK, it might have been a problem during uploading, so please upload again.
JackCalloway

Post by JackCalloway »

Rapunzelina wrote: April 1st, 2020, 1:43 pm
JackCalloway wrote: April 1st, 2020, 8:51 am Just finished section 3. My first recording...be gentle :)

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/ruralmagazinevol1no1_3_various_128kb.mp3.mp3 (4:37)
I got the recording at 4:37. But there was some problem, sounded like electric interference or something that truncates the recording at places.
There might have been a problem while uploading, or when exporting. Check to see how your copy of the file sounds around 1:05 and 1:15. If it sounds OK, it might have been a problem during uploading, so please upload again.
Thank you for the compliment.

I can’t hear it, to me all of it sounds kind of rough but I’m listening through studio headphones and I’m accustomed to listening to Hi resolution files in the flac format which are extremely clear. I just figured out how to slow it down, so I will get back with you when I know something definite.
JackCalloway

Post by JackCalloway »

JackCalloway wrote: April 1st, 2020, 2:20 pm

I can’t hear it, to me all of it sounds kind of rough but I’m listening through studio headphones and I’m accustomed to listening to Hi resolution files in the flac format which are extremely clear. I just figured out how to slow it down, so I will get back with you when I know something definite.
I apologize if I’m not suppose to do this but when I listen to it from the magic window I can hear that it is dropping the audio from 1:05 - 1:07 and then again around 1:15. When I right click that link and download that exact file (I’m sorry if I’m not supposed to do that) I no longer hear it dropping audio. This all could be due to the internet being over used because of the CoronoVirus. I uploaded it again, if that doesn’t cure it, I can re-record the entire story. I’m in the USA and hey we are confined to our homes because of the CoronaVirus and I’m really looking for something to stay busy :).

ruralmagazinevol1no1_3_various_128kb.mp3.mp3 (4:37)
JackCalloway

Post by JackCalloway »

JackCalloway wrote: April 1st, 2020, 2:52 pm
JackCalloway wrote: April 1st, 2020, 2:20 pm

I apologize if I’m not suppose to do this but when I listen to it from the magic window I can hear that it is dropping the audio from 1:05 - 1:07 and then again around 1:15. When I right click that link and download that exact file (I’m sorry if I’m not supposed to do that) I no longer hear it dropping audio. This all could be due to the internet being over used because of the CoronoVirus. I uploaded it again, if that doesn’t cure it, I can re-record the entire story. I’m in the USA and hey we are confined to our homes because of the CoronaVirus and I’m really looking for something to stay busy :).

ruralmagazinevol1no1_3_various_128kb.mp3.mp3 (4:37)
Yes I do hear it. I will re-record that section tomorrow and get that straightened out. Once completed I will upload it again.
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Give me some time and I'll check your new upload, maybe it's all straightened out and you don't need to re-record.
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Got my curiosity up, so thought I'd give you a third ear. I downloaded the file to listening in Audacity with a good pair of headphones. Did you us a lot of compression or equalization with this? That could be part of the issue, although it almost sounds as if it could be something with the microphone cutting out. If you do a new recording, why don't you first save a .flac file before exporting as .mp3. That might give you something to compare it to. And, just my impression, I found the pace a bit fast with not much space between sentences and phrases a little difficult to follow.

So glad you are with us, and hope that you will find this a very rewarding and fulfilling, as it has been for so many of us. :clap:
~ Larry
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Just to add to what Larry said, the pace of the reading as such is great, but I think in the editing you are deleting your breaths, or pauses between the sentences. That's what makes it sound rushed. You could leave these pauses and/or breaths in the recording; it's only natural to breathe :mrgreen: and it saves you time from editing, too!
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

I listened to the new upload as well, and it's still there, so re-recording it is. By the way, I just noticed the filename. The format calls for double digits so in your next upload use 03 for section number :thumbs:
JackCalloway

Post by JackCalloway »

Rapunzelina wrote: April 1st, 2020, 9:59 pm Just to add to what Larry said, the pace of the reading as such is great, but I think in the editing you are deleting your breaths, or pauses between the sentences. That's what makes it sound rushed. You could leave these pauses and/or breaths in the recording; it's only natural to breathe :mrgreen: and it saves you time from editing, too!
Your very good at this as that is exactly what happened.

Here is the scenario. I chose this story because it was short and didn’t have any unfamiliar words. I recorded it in one take as a .wav file recorded at 32 bit floating/44,100/mono. By recording in 32 bit floating it almost completely eliminates the possibility of distortion. Then I went back listened to the recording with headphones and read the story at the same time. While listening and reading I realized that there were 3 places in the story that either I mispronounced a word or left a word out. So I went back re-recorded those 3 parts and when I went to edit the .wav file I realized the volume was about 30% of the original recording. I inserted the new recordings anyway thinking that compression/normalization would take care of it and it did flatten everything out. I assume because the volume was so much lower than the rest of the story that it caused that sound. Anyway once I felt the story was complete, I saved it as a .mp3/128 kbps/mono file.

I apologize for that. This was my first complete read and it was a lot to learn. I think it sounds rushed, I’m not sure how much time to leave between paragraphs or sentences as far as that goes. When I recorded it, I would take a deep breath and talk as long as I felt comfortable. I would try to make it to the end of a paragraph but sometimes I ended it at the end of a sentence. I would take another deep breath and do it all over again. When that was complete, I went back and edited out the breathing.

I’ll figure out what I’m doing at some point LOL.
Last edited by JackCalloway on April 2nd, 2020, 3:32 am, edited 3 times in total.
JackCalloway

Post by JackCalloway »

silverquill wrote: April 1st, 2020, 9:20 pm Got my curiosity up, so thought I'd give you a third ear. I downloaded the file to listening in Audacity with a good pair of headphones. Did you us a lot of compression or equalization with this? That could be part of the issue, although it almost sounds as if it could be something with the microphone cutting out. If you do a new recording, why don't you first save a .flac file before exporting as .mp3. That might give you something to compare it to. And, just my impression, I found the pace a bit fast with not much space between sentences and phrases a little difficult to follow.

So glad you are with us, and hope that you will find this a very rewarding and fulfilling, as it has been for so many of us. :clap:
Thank you for your input. I responded to Rapunzelina. You are correct about the compression, should I not use compression. I went from zero to building a soundproof recording studio, learning the recording software and building out recording equipment, all in about 4 weeks. I mean you could record an album in here....unfortunately I can’t sing :(.
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

JackCalloway wrote: April 2nd, 2020, 3:27 am
silverquill wrote: April 1st, 2020, 9:20 pm Got my curiosity up, so thought I'd give you a third ear. I downloaded the file to listening in Audacity with a good pair of headphones. Did you us a lot of compression or equalization with this? That could be part of the issue, although it almost sounds as if it could be something with the microphone cutting out. If you do a new recording, why don't you first save a .flac file before exporting as .mp3. That might give you something to compare it to. And, just my impression, I found the pace a bit fast with not much space between sentences and phrases a little difficult to follow.

Thank you for your input. I responded to Rapunzelina. You are correct about the compression, should I not use compression. I went from zero to building a soundproof recording studio, learning the recording software and building out recording equipment, all in about 4 weeks. I mean you could record an album in here....unfortunately I can’t sing :(.
Great to hear all of this!
I've sent you a longer response via Private Message.
~ Larry
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

wow! I am impressed by your recording setup and your recording prowess in such a short time! I've been here for years, but never gotten really technical. I do use compression often though, mostly in order to lower those spikes in the waveform that prevent me from amplifying. So, yes, compression has its uses.
As for reading with pauses, I use the punctuation in the text. A short pause in a comma, a longer pause/breath in a full stop, etc. I've read that breathing through your nose makes less noise, but my nose makes as much noise as my mouth :mrgreen: So you can experiment if you feel that your breaths are too noisy. I can't tell, I haven't heard you breathing yet :P I do shorten some longer pauses during editing, but never less than a second. A pause of about 1-2 seconds in a full stop is what sounds the most natural to me, but that can be objective.
JackCalloway

Post by JackCalloway »

Rapunzelina wrote: April 2nd, 2020, 5:14 am wow! I am impressed by your recording setup and your recording prowess in such a short time! I've been here for years, but never gotten really technical. I do use compression often though, mostly in order to lower those spikes in the waveform that prevent me from amplifying. So, yes, compression has its uses.
As for reading with pauses, I use the punctuation in the text. A short pause in a comma, a longer pause/breath in a full stop, etc. I've read that breathing through your nose makes less noise, but my nose makes as much noise as my mouth :mrgreen: So you can experiment if you feel that your breaths are too noisy. I can't tell, I haven't heard you breathing yet :P I do shorten some longer pauses during editing, but never less than a second. A pause of about 1-2 seconds in a full stop is what sounds the most natural to me, but that can be objective.
Thank you so much for the input. I’m going to just re-record the entire story. I realize I’m in the learning stages and at some point it will hopefully become as natural to me as being long winded as my reply’s are :lol:
Last edited by JackCalloway on April 3rd, 2020, 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Sections 8 and 9 are PL OK! Interesting facts!