[COMPLETE] The Rural Magazine and Literary Evening Fire-Side Vol 1 No 1 by Various - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

andybeddy wrote: May 11th, 2020, 3:15 am Hi. Here is section 15 James Watt running time 16:37

Please let me know if anything needs fixing. I am out working Tuesday to Friday this week so I won't be at home until Saturday afternoon to do anything.

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/ruralmagazinevol1no1_15_various_128kb.mp3
Well, thank you so much!
We will have a PL report for you soon.
~ Larry
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Hi Andy! What a perfect recording setup you have! I admire the clarity of your sound. The reading is also impeccable!
I only have one comment, but maybe it's a personal feeling; the pause between the intro and the actual article felt too long. I would say that deleting the "Section 15, James Watt" to avoid repetition and shortening the following silence would improve the flow of the transition from intro to main text. What do you think? I'll mark it PL OK, since this is not an issue, but feel free to re-upload if you decide to make changes. :wink:
The king of England is now in the 60th year of his reign—a reign longer in its duration, by nearly four years, than that of any sovereign of England, that of Henry the 3d being only 56 years.
Queen Elizabeth II has surpassed them all! 8-)
andybeddy

Post by andybeddy »

Rapunzelina wrote: May 11th, 2020, 2:16 pm Hi Andy! What a perfect recording setup you have! I admire the clarity of your sound. The reading is also impeccable!
I only have one comment, but maybe it's a personal feeling; the pause between the intro and the actual article felt too long. I would say that deleting the "Section 15, James Watt" to avoid repetition and shortening the following silence would improve the flow of the transition from intro to main text. What do you think? I'll mark it PL OK, since this is not an issue, but feel free to re-upload if you decide to make changes. :wink:
Hi. Thanks for the very encouraging comments. Especially about my set up and my reading. I've always enjoyed reading and doing this is like having a dream come true, to get such encouraging comments is brilliant, thank you. The set up is actually what I use to record my guitar with, I'm using a condenser mic through a £50 audio interface into a recording software called "Reaper" on my old desktop PC that was gathering dust in the corner of my cabin. I always think I read too fast. I'd like to audition to ACX but haven't plucked up the courage just yet, plus, I don't know where I would find the time to do a full audiobook as I currently work 12 hour night shifts with a 45 min drive to work, great for listening to books, not great for recording them lol.

P.S. you should hear my blooper reel. I might upload it to the bloopers forum but I don't think it is very family friendly at the moment :D

Anyway, I agree with your comments and I've done the edits as you suggested, here is my new file:

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/ruralmagazinevol1no1_15_various_128kb.mp3

Running tiime 16m:29s
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Well it shows you have recording experience! Once you feel more comfortable with recording your own voice, I'm sure you'll find the courage. Not sure if you'll find the time, as you said :mrgreen: But time spent with something we enjoy is worth finding (making!)
Your reading pace sounded natural to me. Depending on the text you read, the situation might call for a slower or faster reading, but for this text, all was great!
New upload: spot-checked and PL OK! :thumbs:
Ezekiel

Post by Ezekiel »

I would like to read #3 Letters of a Citizen to his Friends in the Country No. 1
Ezekiel
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Ezekiel wrote: May 14th, 2020, 12:34 pm I would like to read #3 Letters of a Citizen to his Friends in the Country No. 1
Ezekiel
Thank you!
Your are in for Section 3
~ Larry
Ezekiel

Post by Ezekiel »

Thank you
Ezekiel
andybeddy

Post by andybeddy »

Hi there. Got a day off work on Sunday. Could I put myself forward to tackle section 10: Notes and remarks by the editor of the Register?
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Hi,

Recording section 6, there are pretty numerous footnotes. My normal rule of thumb is to read footnotes that have additional information, but not ones that are just a reference to a book location, but the extra information here is pretty trivial and not really necessary, and interrupting for notes makes the main sentences difficult to follow especially when there are multiple notes in a paragraph as in the second to last paragraph.

I've recorded with them but thought I'd check whether to leave them in or remove when I edit.

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

andybeddy wrote: May 16th, 2020, 2:22 am Hi there. Got a day off work on Sunday. Could I put myself forward to tackle section 10: Notes and remarks by the editor of the Register?
You've got it!
Thanks.
~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

ColleenMc wrote: May 16th, 2020, 7:44 am Hi,

Recording section 6, there are pretty numerous footnotes. My normal rule of thumb is to read footnotes that have additional information, but not ones that are just a reference to a book location, but the extra information here is pretty trivial and not really necessary, and interrupting for notes makes the main sentences difficult to follow especially when there are multiple notes in a paragraph as in the second to last paragraph.

I've recorded with them but thought I'd check whether to leave them in or remove when I edit.

Colleen
The rule of thumb is a good one, and you right about these, so it is best to omit them altogether.
~ Larry
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Cool, thanks for the quick response! I will "disappear" them on the edit :D

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Here is section 6 (Treatise on Agriculture) : https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/ruralmagazinevol1no1_06_various_128kb.mp3

06:18

and section 14 (Disease Among Horses/The Arabian Horse): https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/ruralmagazinevol1no1_14_various_128kb.mp3

06:56

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

silverquill

Post by silverquill »

ColleenMc wrote: May 16th, 2020, 11:47 am Here is section 6 (Treatise on Agriculture) : https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/ruralmagazinevol1no1_06_various_128kb.mp3

06:18

and section 14 (Disease Among Horses/The Arabian Horse): https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/ruralmagazinevol1no1_14_various_128kb.mp3

06:56

Colleen
Great!
These are both in the MW Ready for PL.
Thank you.
~ Larry
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Section 11, please.