COMPLETE [GROUP] Harper's Young People, Issue 21-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
JackCalloway

Post by JackCalloway »

I’m trying to figure out how to pronounce EYTINGE as in MARGARET EYTINGE. Does anyone have a good website for pronunciations?

When I decided to narrate books I designed a studio, worked through recording software, terminology, breathing techniques, etc but never thought about not knowing how to pronounce various words.
JorWat

Post by JorWat »

JackCalloway wrote: March 18th, 2020, 5:59 am I’m trying to figure out how to pronounce EYTINGE as in MARGARET EYTINGE. Does anyone have a good website for pronunciations?
I'm assume it's like how it's said in this video, i.e. like 'setting' without the 's'.
Jordan

Alcohol and Maths don't mix. So never drink and derive.
JorWat

Post by JorWat »

K0JFF wrote: March 17th, 2020, 3:51 pm Section 5 has been uploaded for checking. https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/hyp021_05_various_128kb.mp3 11 min 13 sec 10.3Mb

Jeff Evans
PL OK!
Jordan

JackCalloway

Post by JackCalloway »

JorWat wrote: March 18th, 2020, 4:32 pm
JackCalloway wrote: March 18th, 2020, 5:59 am I’m trying to figure out how to pronounce EYTINGE as in MARGARET EYTINGE. Does anyone have a good website for pronunciations?
I'm assume it's like how it's said in this video, i.e. like 'setting' without the 's'.
What I’m discovering is that this story has many names of flowers in it and I’m struggling to find out how to pronounce them. In many cases the words themselves cannot be found on the Internet.

Example: when searching for “nyphetos”, I entered a website that was not only disturbing but hopefully doesn’t land me in jail for the 2 seconds I was there LOL.

Everybody be safe and help your neighbor in these difficult times with the pandemic. Together, we can triumph over any obstacle.
JackCalloway

Post by JackCalloway »

JackCalloway wrote: March 23rd, 2020, 8:10 am
JorWat wrote: March 18th, 2020, 4:32 pm
What I’m discovering is that this story has many names of flowers in it and I’m struggling to find out how to pronounce them. In many cases the words themselves cannot be found on the Internet.

Example: when searching for “nyphetos”, I entered a website that was not only disturbing but hopefully doesn’t land me in jail for the 2 seconds I was there LOL.

Everybody be safe and help your neighbor in these difficult times with the pandemic. Together, we can triumph over any obstacle.
As I quote myself. I have found a free app for iPhone/iPad for pronunciation. It’s called “Pronounce” and seems to work well. This also may be available for Android phones.
jillebean

Post by jillebean »

As I quote myself. I have found a free app for iPhone/iPad for pronunciation. It’s called “Pronounce” and seems to work well. This also may be available for Android phones.
There is a whole topic about pronunciation help in the forum here: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=40285. You can ask for suggestions, there, too. There might be people there who can help who wouldn't check our project topic. Generally, we ask that if you can't find the proper pronunciation, then just give it your best shot and sound confident in how you say it even if you're not. ;)

Jill
JackCalloway

Post by JackCalloway »

jillebean wrote: March 23rd, 2020, 5:39 pm
There is a whole topic about pronunciation help in the forum here: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=40285. You can ask for suggestions, there, too. There might be people there who can help who wouldn't check our project topic. Generally, we ask that if you can't find the proper pronunciation, then just give it your best shot and sound confident in how you say it even if you're not. ;)

Jill
Thanks Jill!
JackCalloway

Post by JackCalloway »

I’m reading section 1 which happens to be a poem and a story. I’m ready to mix down the audio but have a question. Since both the poem and the story are together in section 1 should they also be mixed together or separately? In other words will I upload the poem and the story in separate files or will they be one file?

Thx all for your help on my first poem/story. I have learned bunches. It took about 2 days to record the story the first time as I stumbled through it. I listened to it today and found lots of issues so I re-recorded the story again in about 20 minutes....progress!
jillebean

Post by jillebean »

JackCalloway wrote: March 25th, 2020, 1:23 pm I’m reading section 1 which happens to be a poem and a story. I’m ready to mix down the audio but have a question. Since both the poem and the story are together in section 1 should they also be mixed together or separately? In other words will I upload the poem and the story in separate files or will they be one file?

Thx all for your help on my first poem/story. I have learned bunches. It took about 2 days to record the story the first time as I stumbled through it. I listened to it today and found lots of issues so I re-recorded the story again in about 20 minutes....progress!
Both parts of Section 1 will be in one file. We sometimes group shorter pieces together to make a longer file so listeners don't have to listen to tons of itty bitty files.

Read the Start of recording text from the first post for this project, include "A Duet" section title, then read "A Duet" text followed by "Easter flowers" section title and then that text. Finish all with the End of recording text.

Hope that helps!

Jill :)
JackCalloway

Post by JackCalloway »

jillebean wrote: March 25th, 2020, 1:48 pm
JackCalloway wrote: March 25th, 2020, 1:23 pm I’m reading section 1 which happens to be a poem and a story. I’m ready to mix down the audio but have a question. Since both the poem and the story are together in section 1 should they also be mixed together or separately? In other words will I upload the poem and the story in separate files or will they be one file?

Both parts of Section 1 will be in one file. We sometimes group shorter pieces together to make a longer file so listeners don't have to listen to tons of itty bitty files.

Read the Start of recording text from the first post for this project, include "A Duet" section title, then read "A Duet" text followed by "Easter flowers" section title and then that text. Finish all with the End of recording text.

Hope that helps!

Jill :)
Your awesome!
JackCalloway

Post by JackCalloway »

Please remove me from reading section 1, I’m not going to be able to complete it.
jillebean

Post by jillebean »

JackCalloway wrote: March 27th, 2020, 3:41 am Please remove me from reading section 1, I’m not going to be able to complete it.
Done! Thanks for letting me know.

Jill
K0JFF

Post by K0JFF »

Section 6 has been submitted for review:
https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/hyp021_06_various_128kb.mp3 16min 28 sec 15.2Mb

Jeff Evans
jillebean

Post by jillebean »

K0JFF wrote: March 27th, 2020, 2:35 pm Section 6 has been submitted for review:
https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/hyp021_06_various_128kb.mp3 16min 28 sec 15.2Mb

Jeff Evans
Thank you! Added it to the MW for review.

Jill
JorWat

Post by JorWat »

K0JFF wrote: March 27th, 2020, 2:35 pm Section 6 has been submitted for review:

Jeff Evans
Just one problem:

The opening silence is too long. It should be "no more than 0.5 to 1 second", but yours is almost 1.5 seconds.
Jordan