COMPLETE-[BIO/WESTERN] The Border Bandits by J. W. Buel-ag

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

The Border Bandits by J. W. Buel (1849 - 1920).

''An authentic and thrilling history of the noted outlaws Jesse and Frank James and their bands of highwaymen.compiled from reliable sources and containing the latest facts in regard to these desperate freebooters.'' (from the author's sub-title) The James brothers emerged from the Confederate guerrillas to become notorious outlaws of the American west rising to legendary status. J.W. Buel chronicles their path of robbery and murder across the West in short vignettes.
( Larry Wilson)

• This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-border-bandits-by-jw-buel/

1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/60453
    5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
      Keywords that describe the book: Americana, Crime, civil war, ford, West, robbery, outlaws, union pacific, cole younger, quantrell raiders, pinkerton, daniel askew, george shepherd, younger brothers

============================================
    6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: viewtopic.php?p=6430#p6430

Set your recording software to:
      Channels: 1 (Mono)
      Bit Rate: 128 kbps
      Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
    7. DURING recording:
      No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
      Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
      START of recording (Intro)
      • "Chapter [number] of The Border Bandits. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
      • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • Say:
        "The Border Bandits, by J. W. Buel. [Chapter Name]"

END of recording
      • At the end of the section, say:
        "End of Chapter [number]"
      • If you wish, say:
        "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
        "End of The Border Bandits, by J. W. Buel. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
    8. AFTER recording
      Need noise-cleaning?
      Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The latest version of Audacity is recommended for noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
      Save files as
      128 kbps MP3
      borderbandits_##_buel_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. borderbandits_01_buel_128kb.mp3)
    9. Example ID3 V2 tags
      (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/What_is_ID3)
      Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!
      Artist: J. W. Buel
      Title: ## - [Section title]
      Album: The Border Bandits

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.
      Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
      • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
        (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: alg1001
      • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
      • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
      Please post below
~ Larry
NOTE: Traveling without internet until March 17
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

It is time for another book out of the American Old West.
This time, instead of heroes, we have the story of one of the most ruthless pair of outlaws in the history of the Old West, Frank and Jesse James.
~ Larry
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Hi Larry,
I'll MC this for you.
-Amy
In the mind, or consciousness of the Earth this flower first lay latent as a dream. Perhaps, in her consciousness, it nested as that which in us corresponds to a little thought.--A.Blackwood
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Thank you so much, Amy!

The MW is populated and we are near READY FOR A DPL
and READERS are most welcome.
~ Larry
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Off to Readers Wanted. :)
In the mind, or consciousness of the Earth this flower first lay latent as a dream. Perhaps, in her consciousness, it nested as that which in us corresponds to a little thought.--A.Blackwood
Pmiddy

Post by Pmiddy »

Hello!
I'm brand new to recording so I would like to start small. Can I claim sections 2 and 3 for starts? I just want to get comfortable with it. Please be patient with me!
Thanks,
Patrick
Anitazz

Post by Anitazz »

Hi! I'd like to volunteer for 26, 28, 29 and 30 (San Antonio, Muncie, Huntington, Rocky Cut). Is the MW correct? Section 27 says "anecdotes", which is the last chapter of the book. And an Interview with the Younger Brothers should be second to last. Just wondering.

Anita
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Pmiddy wrote: October 13th, 2019, 2:44 pm Hello!
I'm brand new to recording so I would like to start small. Can I claim sections 2 and 3 for starts? I just want to get comfortable with it. Please be patient with me!
Thanks,
Patrick
i Would be pleased for you to make your LibriVox debut here!

Pleas let me know how you would like to be listed in the LibriVox catalog. Many of us just use our real name since this is how we are credited for our work, but you may choose any pseudonym or nickname that you wish. I'll go ahead and save these for you, and you are free to start recording.

Let me know if you have any questions. Always here to help.
~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Anitazz wrote: October 14th, 2019, 9:52 am Hi! I'd like to volunteer for 26, 28, 29 and 30 (San Antonio, Muncie, Huntington, Rocky Cut). Is the MW correct? Section 27 says "anecdotes", which is the last chapter of the book. And an Interview with the Younger Brothers should be second to last. Just wondering.

Anita
Yikes :shock: :oops:

It is so easy to mess up the MW, and I'm glad you caught that early.
I've put things back in the right order, and your sections are now 26-29.
~ Larry
johnb2

Post by johnb2 »

hi Larry

chaps 6-7-8-9-10-11-12 :)
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

johnb2 wrote: October 14th, 2019, 11:56 am hi Larry

chaps 6-7-8-9-10-11-12 :)
Thanks, John!
~ Larry
johnb2

Post by johnb2 »

johnb2

Post by johnb2 »

Hi Larry

I'd like to add chapters 13-20
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Thanks!
We don't have a DPL yet, but these are in the MW
And I've added you for 13-20
~ Larry
lomond

Post by lomond »

Greetings -

Lomond's Listening Laboratory is interested in DPLing this book.

It will be an interesting contrast to Little Jack Rabbit. :D :D

Lomond