[Fortnightly Poem] The Indian Seranade, by Percy Bysshe Shelley - dl

Short Poetry Collections, Short Story Collections, and our Weekly Poetry Project
msfry

Post by msfry » September 8th, 2019, 5:52 pm

The Indian Serenade, by Percy Bysshe Shelley (1792 - 1822).
Shelley's life spanned a scant 30 years and it was only after his death that he became known as was one of the major English Romantic poets, and regarded by some as among the finest lyric and philosophical poets in the English language, and one of the most influential. (Summary by Wikipedia and Michele Fry)
Each fortnight a poem is chosen to be recorded by as many LibriVox volunteers as possible!
This fortnight's poem can be found here.
[*] Project Code: H2Ls4xdG

Set your recording software to:
Channels: 1 (Mono)
Bit Rate: 128 kbps
Sample Rate: 44100 kHz

Have questions on "how"?
Check LV's Recording Notes thread before recording. If this is your first recording, you'll also find this Newbie Guide to Recording useful.
Begin your reading with the abbreviated LibriVox disclaimer:
No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
The Indian Serenade by Percy Bysshe (rhymes with dish) Shelley, read for LibriVox.org by [your name].
[Add, if you wish, date, your location, and/or your personal url.]
Then read the poem:
NOTES: A champak is an Asian evergreen tree of the magnolia family, bearing fragrant orange flowers and sacred to Hindus and Buddhists.
Pronunciation guide: [ˈCHəmpək, ˈCHam-pac]

I arise from dreams of thee
In the first sweet sleep of night,
When the winds are breathing low,
And the stars are shining bright
I arise from dreams of thee,
And a spirit in my feet
Has led me - who knows how? -
To thy chamber-window, sweet!

The wandering airs they faint
On the dark, the silent stream, -
The champak odors fail
Like sweet thoughts in a dream,
The nightingale's complaint,
It dies upon her heart,
As I must die on thine,
O, belovèd as thou art!

O, lift me from the grass!
I die, I faint, I fail!
Let thy love in kisses rain
On my lips and eyelids pale,
My cheek is cold and white, alas!
My Heart beats loud and fast
Oh! press it close to thine again,
Where it will break at last!

At the end of your reading, leave a space and then say:
End of poem. This recording is in the public domain.

Please leave 5 seconds of silence at the end of your recording.
Save your recording as an mp3 file using the following filename and ID3 tag format:
File name - all in lowercase: indianseranade_shelley_your initials_128kb.mp3

ID3 tags (Version 2):
Artist Name: Percy Bysshe Shelley
Track Title: The Indian Seranade - Read by YOUR INITIALS (e.g. The Indian Seranade - Read by KLH)
Album Title: LibriVox Fortnightly Poetry
Comments: (optional) Recorded by [your name]

Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
  • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
    (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
  • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: aradlaw
  • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
  • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
When you post your link, please include your name as you would like it credited on the catalogue page and any URL by which you would like it accompanied. (Note: This is only necessary if you have not done so for another project.)
(If you wish to contribute, please have your readings submitted by 0600 GMT Sunday, September 22 (12:00AM CDT)

Please don't download files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!<p>

Magic Window:

BC Admin

(And remember, anyone can suggest a poem for a certain week and/or coordinate an upcoming fortnightly poem! If you'd like to suggest a poem or coordinate a future Fortnightly Poetry project, please visit this thread.)
Last edited by msfry on September 15th, 2019, 6:49 am, edited 5 times in total.
Michele Fry, CC
My Projects
"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." ~Winston Churchill

aradlaw
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by aradlaw » September 8th, 2019, 7:03 pm

Thank you for hosting this Fortnightly Poem Michele. :D
David Lawrence

* Weekly & Fortnightly Poetry - Check out the Short Works forum for the latest projects!

bluechien

Post by bluechien » September 8th, 2019, 7:23 pm

"Bish!"

https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/dreamsofthee_shelley_ed_128kb.mp3 1:28

(Michele, I thought the text at poemhunter perhaps meant to say "I fail" as the endrhyme with "pale.")
Eva D
siamo contenti? ... ho fatto questa caricatura ... - Nietzsche

aradlaw
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by aradlaw » September 8th, 2019, 7:49 pm

bluechien wrote:
September 8th, 2019, 7:23 pm
"Bish!"

https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/dreamsofthee_shelley_ed_128kb.mp3 1:28

(Michele, I thought the text at poemhunter perhaps meant to say "I fail" as the endrhyme with "pale.")
The text on Gutenburg does say "I fail" as well as listing the title as THE INDIAN SERENADE. Poemhunter ?? (Not my first choice for text)
David Lawrence

* Weekly & Fortnightly Poetry - Check out the Short Works forum for the latest projects!

NemoR

Post by NemoR » September 8th, 2019, 7:49 pm

Hi Michele!

Here is mine at 1:28 ..... https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/_dreamsofthee_shelley_nr_128kb.mp3

I looked the poem up in a couple other sources (including Bartleby) and I think "Poem Hunter" has a couple typos.

I believe it should be "fail" instead of "fall" in the line - I die! I faint! I fall!

Also in the line - Oh! beloved as thou art!, it should be "belovèd" instead of "beloved"

I recorded with those two alterations.
Nemo

"I find I cannot exist without Poetry—without eternal Poetry—half the day will not do—the whole of it—I began with a little, but habit has made me a Leviathan."

msfry

Post by msfry » September 8th, 2019, 8:19 pm

I checked it out too and am making these adjustments to the first post. Thanks everyone.
Michele Fry, CC
My Projects
"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." ~Winston Churchill

msfry

Post by msfry » September 8th, 2019, 8:35 pm

Okay, thanks to bluechien and NemoR, only the first two of you have to rename your file and change the title. Sorry about that. David, can you quote the text you wish me to link to. There are several links, and at least 3 titles, but the text is substantially the same.
Michele Fry, CC
My Projects

aradlaw
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by aradlaw » September 8th, 2019, 9:17 pm

msfry wrote:
September 8th, 2019, 8:35 pm
Okay, thanks to bluechien and NemoR, only the first two of you have to rename your file and change the title. Sorry about that. David, can you quote the text you wish me to link to. There are several links, and at least 3 titles, but the text is substantially the same.
I prefer Gutenburg when the author/text is available there. https://www.gutenberg.org/cache/epub/4798/pg4798-images.html I did a [control F] search with your title to get the text - no linked index there.
David Lawrence

bluechien

Post by bluechien » September 9th, 2019, 9:04 am

Eva D
siamo contenti? ... ho fatto questa caricatura ... - Nietzsche

NemoR

Post by NemoR » September 9th, 2019, 9:20 am

Changed Intro and file name ... new length is 1:27

https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/_indianserenade_shelley_nr_128kb.mp3
Nemo

"I find I cannot exist without Poetry—without eternal Poetry—half the day will not do—the whole of it—I began with a little, but habit has made me a Leviathan."

msfry

Post by msfry » September 9th, 2019, 12:48 pm

NemoR wrote:
September 9th, 2019, 9:20 am

I notice you have an extra underline before "indianseranade". Could you please re-up with the correct file name.
Michele Fry, CC
My Projects

NemoR

Post by NemoR » September 9th, 2019, 2:21 pm

msfry wrote:
September 9th, 2019, 12:48 pm
NemoR wrote:
September 9th, 2019, 9:20 am

I notice you have an extra underline before "indianseranade". Could you please re-up with the correct file name.
You got it!

https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/indianserenade_shelley_nr_128kb.mp3
Nemo

Horner94

Post by Horner94 » September 10th, 2019, 3:40 am

Hello!
Here is my recording: https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/indianseranade_shelley_cjph_128kb.mp3 Time: 01:05
Kind regards,
Chad

msfry

Post by msfry » September 10th, 2019, 6:15 am

Thanks, Chad. I'll PL your and other sections shortly, after I have recorded my rendition. I like to tease out the lines without prior exposure to other efforts -- more fun for me that way. :D
Michele Fry, CC
My Projects

msfry

Post by msfry » September 10th, 2019, 7:28 am

Okay, here's my attempt. Sometimes the more I look into things, the less sense it makes. :shock:

https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/indianseranade_shelley_mtf_128kb.mp3 1:25
Michele Fry, CC
My Projects