COMPLETE: Short Nonfiction Collection, Vol. 068 -jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Post Reply
Horner94
Posts: 604
Joined: July 10th, 2018, 9:11 am
Location: Northern Ireland
Contact:

Post by Horner94 » July 29th, 2019, 5:48 pm

Hello,
I have attempted a recording.
Author: Jane Austen (1775-1817).
Title: Love And Friendship And Other Early Works (Love And Friendship) A collection of juvenile writings.
URL to text: http://www.gutenberg.org/files/1212/1212-h/1212-h.htm#link2H_4_0018
And below is my audio recording ready for PLing:
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf068_loveandfriendship_austen_cjph_128kb.mp3 Time: 05:37
Many thanks,
Chad

Sue Anderson
Posts: 3635
Joined: July 24th, 2008, 11:48 am
Location: Midwest, USA
Contact:

Post by Sue Anderson » July 29th, 2019, 6:29 pm

Horner94 wrote:
July 29th, 2019, 5:48 pm
Hello,
I have attempted a recording.
Author: Jane Austen (1775-1817).
Title: Love And Friendship And Other Early Works (Love And Friendship) A collection of juvenile writings.
URL to text: http://www.gutenberg.org/files/1212/1212-h/1212-h.htm#link2H_4_0018
And below is my audio recording ready for PLing:
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf068_loveandfriendship_austen_cjph_128kb.mp3 Time: 05:37
Many thanks,
Chad
Hi Chad, Not so long ago, the Short Story collection sent you over to the Nonfiction Collection, and now I am going to send you back over to the Short Story Collection with this recording. According to Wikipedia:" Love and Freindship [sic] is a juvenile story by Jane Austen, dated 1790... Written in epistolary form like her later unpublished novella, Lady Susan, Love and Freindship is thought to be one of the tales she wrote for the amusement of her family. It was dedicated to her cousin Eliza de Feuillide, known as "La Comtesse de Feuillide". The instalments, written as letters from the heroine Laura, to Marianne, the daughter of her friend Isabel, may have come about as nightly readings by the young Jane in the Austen home. Love and Freindship (the misspelling is one of many in the story) is clearly a parody of romantic novels Austen read as a child."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Love_and_Freindship

If you are ever in doubt about the nonfiction status of something you are interested in reading, please feel free to post a link to the reading in the nonfiction thread, and ask for clarification. We'll be glad to help.

MrsHand
Posts: 3759
Joined: September 12th, 2013, 11:54 am
Location: Indianapolis, IN

Post by MrsHand » July 29th, 2019, 7:54 pm


soupy
Posts: 3067
Joined: November 14th, 2008, 4:04 pm
Location: Appleton, Wisconsin
Contact:

Post by soupy » July 30th, 2019, 5:31 am

Housekeeping at the White House (1903) is PLOK :thumbs:

Choreomania: An Historical Sketch has a couple of minor errors.

2:36 Evidently confound it with the cereal malady ergotism - you read cerebral

11:44 Doubtless Paracelsus had too good reason for naming it the lascivious dance - - you read Paraclesus

Thanks Betty and Tricia

Caig
What had been his eye’s delight, his eyes craved to see again and his ingratitude punished him by inducing him to believe it to be more beautiful than it had ever been. Soren Kierkegaard 1843
My Website
Kierkegaards Challenge

soupy
Posts: 3067
Joined: November 14th, 2008, 4:04 pm
Location: Appleton, Wisconsin
Contact:

Post by soupy » July 30th, 2019, 5:50 am

What had been his eye’s delight, his eyes craved to see again and his ingratitude punished him by inducing him to believe it to be more beautiful than it had ever been. Soren Kierkegaard 1843
My Website
Kierkegaards Challenge

Sue Anderson
Posts: 3635
Joined: July 24th, 2008, 11:48 am
Location: Midwest, USA
Contact:

Post by Sue Anderson » July 30th, 2019, 8:21 am

MrsHand wrote:
July 29th, 2019, 7:54 pm
Here's my contribution:
  • Making A Rock Garden
  • Henry Sherman (H.S.) Adams
  • 38:55
Hi Kristin, Thanks for this practical how-to read about rock gardens! :) I think this is a great idea for a read. I enjoyed looking at the pictures. (I grew up in Seattle where rock gardens are ubiquitous.)

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 42535
Joined: June 15th, 2008, 10:30 pm
Location: Toronto, ON (but Minnesotan to age 32)

Post by TriciaG » July 30th, 2019, 9:33 am

soupy wrote:
July 30th, 2019, 5:31 am
Choreomania: An Historical Sketch has a couple of minor errors.

2:36 Evidently confound it with the cereal malady ergotism - you read cerebral

11:44 Doubtless Paracelsus had too good reason for naming it the lascivious dance - - you read Paraclesus
Eh, what's in a name? A rose by any other name would smell as sweet. :roll:

Fixed:
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf068_choreomania_davidson_tg_128kb.mp3

However, I have a question. I notice that there is a 2-section limit per reader. I am currently recording two sections on the same topic (the introduction of time zones) that I would like to stay in one collection. Should I:
(a) Submit both to this collection and retract the above, saving Choreomania for the next collection;
(b) Save these two new recordings for the next collection; or
(c) Ignore the limit and submit all 3 to this collection?
Any of these 3 options works fine for me. What do you think?
Experiences in the Panama Canal Zone during construction: Zone Policeman 88
Humorous Alcohol Fic/Poetry: The Old Soak, and Hail & Farewell
Insomnia Collection - boring works 30-70 minutes long

Sue Anderson
Posts: 3635
Joined: July 24th, 2008, 11:48 am
Location: Midwest, USA
Contact:

Post by Sue Anderson » July 30th, 2019, 9:39 am

soupy wrote:
July 30th, 2019, 5:50 am
Excerpt from The First Apology of Justin by Justin Martyr 100-165 ad
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Justin_Martyr

Craig
Thank you for this, Craig! :) I'll be able to PL either this evening or tomorrow.

Sue Anderson
Posts: 3635
Joined: July 24th, 2008, 11:48 am
Location: Midwest, USA
Contact:

Post by Sue Anderson » July 30th, 2019, 10:03 am

TriciaG wrote:
July 30th, 2019, 9:33 am
soupy wrote:
July 30th, 2019, 5:31 am
Choreomania: An Historical Sketch has a couple of minor errors.

2:36 Evidently confound it with the cereal malady ergotism - you read cerebral

11:44 Doubtless Paracelsus had too good reason for naming it the lascivious dance - - you read Paraclesus
Eh, what's in a name? A rose by any other name would smell as sweet. :roll:

Fixed:
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf068_choreomania_davidson_tg_128kb.mp3

However, I have a question. I notice that there is a 2-section limit per reader. I am currently recording two sections on the same topic (the introduction of time zones) that I would like to stay in one collection. Should I:
(a) Submit both to this collection and retract the above, saving Choreomania for the next collection;
(b) Save these two new recordings for the next collection; or
(c) Ignore the limit and submit all 3 to this collection?
Any of these 3 options works fine for me. What do you think?
Tricia, My reading on this situation, as BC, is this: that a 2-part reading submitted to the Short Nonfiction Collection, either due to the reading needing to be submitted in two parts because of its length (that is, the total recording time clocking in at over 74 minutes and the the capacity of a CD being 74 minutes of recording time); or, as in your stated situation, you have two closely related readings (relating to the introduction of time zones) which need to be in the same collection, this creates a category unto itself, which I will name "d;"
and which category "d," I, as BC, interpret to mean that a under extenuating circumstances, a two-part reading will be considered as one reading, not two; and therefore, you may upload both recordings on the introduction of time zones to vol. 068 without penalty and without withdrawing your most interesting reading on Choreomania.

Furthermore, Tricia, you probably remember, as I do, that at one time, LibriVox allowed closely related readings to be combined into one selection, but this option was withdrawn when the the cataloging system was revised a few years back and now we can have only one author per selection. As BC, I duly recognized this historical precedent in creating categoy "d."

Regards,

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 42535
Joined: June 15th, 2008, 10:30 pm
Location: Toronto, ON (but Minnesotan to age 32)

Post by TriciaG » July 30th, 2019, 10:08 am

LOL! Decision duly noted and shall be submitted to, Your Honour. ;)

They're recorded; I just have to edit. (Do you know how hard it is to say American Metrologial Society? I keep wanting it to be Meteorological!)
Experiences in the Panama Canal Zone during construction: Zone Policeman 88
Humorous Alcohol Fic/Poetry: The Old Soak, and Hail & Farewell
Insomnia Collection - boring works 30-70 minutes long

soupy
Posts: 3067
Joined: November 14th, 2008, 4:04 pm
Location: Appleton, Wisconsin
Contact:

Post by soupy » July 30th, 2019, 10:57 am

Choreomania is PlOK

Craig
What had been his eye’s delight, his eyes craved to see again and his ingratitude punished him by inducing him to believe it to be more beautiful than it had ever been. Soren Kierkegaard 1843
My Website
Kierkegaards Challenge

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 42535
Joined: June 15th, 2008, 10:30 pm
Location: Toronto, ON (but Minnesotan to age 32)

Post by TriciaG » July 30th, 2019, 11:55 am

Title: On Uniform Standard Time for Railways, Telegraphs, and Civil Purposes Generally
Author: Sandford Fleming
Link: https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf068_standardtime1_fleming_tg_128kb.mp3
Source: https://archive.org/details/standardtimeforu00amer/page/n4 (page 9 or 19, depending on viewing method)
Length: 16:32

Title: The Regulation of Time
Author: Frederick Augustus Porter Barnard
Link: https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf068_standardtime2_barnard_tg_128kb.mp3
Source: https://archive.org/details/standardtimeforu00amer/page/n4 (page 15 or 25, depending on viewing method)
Length: 22:24

Both authors have been entered into the system. 8-)
Experiences in the Panama Canal Zone during construction: Zone Policeman 88
Humorous Alcohol Fic/Poetry: The Old Soak, and Hail & Farewell
Insomnia Collection - boring works 30-70 minutes long

Sue Anderson
Posts: 3635
Joined: July 24th, 2008, 11:48 am
Location: Midwest, USA
Contact:

Post by Sue Anderson » July 30th, 2019, 3:52 pm

TriciaG wrote:
July 30th, 2019, 11:55 am
Title: On Uniform Standard Time for Railways, Telegraphs, and Civil Purposes Generally
Author: Sandford Fleming
Link: https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf068_standardtime1_fleming_tg_128kb.mp3
Source: https://archive.org/details/standardtimeforu00amer/page/n4 (page 9 or 19, depending on viewing method)
Length: 16:32

Title: The Regulation of Time
Author: Frederick Augustus Porter Barnard
Link: https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf068_standardtime2_barnard_tg_128kb.mp3
Source: https://archive.org/details/standardtimeforu00amer/page/n4 (page 15 or 25, depending on viewing method)
Length: 22:24

Both authors have been entered into the system. 8-)
These sound interesting, Tricia! :) Thanks for entering the authors in the data base!

soupy
Posts: 3067
Joined: November 14th, 2008, 4:04 pm
Location: Appleton, Wisconsin
Contact:

Post by soupy » July 30th, 2019, 5:43 pm

That was a terrible time for blacks Sue. Your reading is PLOK :thumbs:

Craig
What had been his eye’s delight, his eyes craved to see again and his ingratitude punished him by inducing him to believe it to be more beautiful than it had ever been. Soren Kierkegaard 1843
My Website
Kierkegaards Challenge

NicholiVolta
Posts: 27
Joined: July 3rd, 2019, 4:28 pm

Post by NicholiVolta » July 30th, 2019, 11:41 pm


Post Reply