[POETRY] The Book of Irish Poetry, Part I ed. by Alfred Perceval Graves - kiki

Short Poetry Collections, Short Story Collections, and our Weekly Poetry Project
Post Reply
pattymarie
Posts: 1669
Joined: April 18th, 2006, 12:17 pm

Post by pattymarie » July 18th, 2019, 12:34 pm

Section 123 is PL OK. Thank you, Chad.

Section 148: Thank you for your interest in reading for Librivox. The reading is fine, but there are technical problems. Also, you haven't completed a one-minute test. The feedback to the test would have straightened out the technical problems. Your file is in stereo while it needs to be in mono. The volume at 94.5 is outside the acceptable range of 86 to 92. There's a problem with the bit rate which would best be explained by the people who listen to your test. So please, do the test.

Too, the file name needs to follow the specs in section 8 below the magic window on page one of the project.
Last edited by pattymarie on July 18th, 2019, 1:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Pattymarie

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 18258
Joined: March 28th, 2014, 5:57 am

Post by Kitty » July 18th, 2019, 12:35 pm


pattymarie
Posts: 1669
Joined: April 18th, 2006, 12:17 pm

Post by pattymarie » July 18th, 2019, 1:28 pm

Sections 67 and 69 are PL OK. Thank you, Sonia.
Pattymarie

Horner94
Posts: 604
Joined: July 10th, 2018, 9:11 am
Location: Northern Ireland
Contact:

Post by Horner94 » July 18th, 2019, 3:41 pm

Hello again,
May I claim Section 129? Also, I was doing a little background checking on Douglas Hyde. Is this poem by Douglas Ross Hyde who died in 1949? If so, I assume it is okay to record now since his death has been a couple days over 70 years?
I look forward to hearing back from you.
Kind regards,
Chad

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 18258
Joined: March 28th, 2014, 5:57 am

Post by Kitty » July 18th, 2019, 10:57 pm

Horner94 wrote:
July 18th, 2019, 3:41 pm
Is this poem by Douglas Ross Hyde who died in 1949? If so, I assume it is okay to record now since his death has been a couple days over 70 years?
well if he died in 1949 it has been barely 70 years since his death. ;) The acceptable cut-off time is always 31 Dec, regardless when the author is born during the year. So an Irish author who died in 1949 would become PD for Europeans on 1st January 2020. You have to wait for another half year.

Sonia

elizabethcanright
Posts: 11
Joined: April 11th, 2019, 4:59 pm

Post by elizabethcanright » July 20th, 2019, 9:08 pm

Yes, the volume was low and tried to get a full five seconds on the end!
Here is #95 and #96 re-do for PL
https://librivox.org/uploads/kikisaulite/irishpoetrypar1_095_graves_128kb.mp3

https://librivox.org/uploads/kikisaulite/irishpoetypar1_096_graves_128kb.mp3

pattymarie
Posts: 1669
Joined: April 18th, 2006, 12:17 pm

Post by pattymarie » July 21st, 2019, 2:42 am

elizabethcanright wrote:
July 20th, 2019, 9:08 pm
Yes, the volume was low and tried to get a full five seconds on the end!
Here is #95 and #96 re-do for PL
https://librivox.org/uploads/kikisaulite/irishpoetrypar1_095_graves_128kb.mp3

https://librivox.org/uploads/kikisaulite/irishpoetypar1_096_graves_128kb.mp3
The endings are fine now, but the volume is still far below the desired level. Section 95 is 80.2 dB and 96 is 79.4. Could you try to get them up to at least 86?

If you've already done the maximum amplification recommended by the "Amplify" effect, you probably have some volume spikes in your recording that are limiting the allowed level of amplification without clipping, which is undesirable. That happens to me a lot from sibilants, plosives and sometimes big vowel sounds. You can spot where they occur by viewing the whole recording in one window. Older versions of Audacity have "View (or Fit) in Window" selection in the "View" menu. The latest version has a "Zoom to Selection" choice in the "View" menu. You first click "Select All" then zoom to the selection and you see the whole recording compressed into one window. Then you can see the high volume spikes and select and use negative amplification on them. It's best to select them in the window, noting the approximate time location, and go back at least to "Normal" view before using negative amplification. It's even better to zoom in some to surgically de-amplify the spike without affecting surrounding sound that doesn't need to be lowered.

If there are a lot of spikes, that's a lot of work that you might not be up for. As long as my files are at least 86 dB, I give up striving for my own preferred 90-91 if there are a lot of them. I can ask Elsie or our mc to listen and decide whether these files are loud enough. They are much easier to hear than the first submissions. :)
Pattymarie

elsieselwyn
Posts: 1547
Joined: March 28th, 2019, 8:37 pm
Location: Ohio, USA

Post by elsieselwyn » July 21st, 2019, 8:54 am

pattymarie wrote:
July 21st, 2019, 2:42 am
elizabethcanright wrote:
July 20th, 2019, 9:08 pm
Yes, the volume was low and tried to get a full five seconds on the end!
Here is #95 and #96 re-do for PL
https://librivox.org/uploads/kikisaulite/irishpoetrypar1_095_graves_128kb.mp3

https://librivox.org/uploads/kikisaulite/irishpoetypar1_096_graves_128kb.mp3
The endings are fine now, but the volume is still far below the desired level. Section 95 is 80.2 dB and 96 is 79.4. Could you try to get them up to at least 86?

If you've already done the maximum amplification recommended by the "Amplify" effect, you probably have some volume spikes in your recording that are limiting the allowed level of amplification without clipping, which is undesirable. That happens to me a lot from sibilants, plosives and sometimes big vowel sounds. You can spot where they occur by viewing the whole recording in one window. Older versions of Audacity have "View (or Fit) in Window" selection in the "View" menu. The latest version has a "Zoom to Selection" choice in the "View" menu. You first click "Select All" then zoom to the selection and you see the whole recording compressed into one window. Then you can see the high volume spikes and select and use negative amplification on them. It's best to select them in the window, noting the approximate time location, and go back at least to "Normal" view before using negative amplification. It's even better to zoom in some to surgically de-amplify the spike without affecting surrounding sound that doesn't need to be lowered.

If there are a lot of spikes, that's a lot of work that you might not be up for. As long as my files are at least 86 dB, I give up striving for my own preferred 90-91 if there are a lot of them. I can ask Elsie or our mc to listen and decide whether these files are loud enough. They are much easier to hear than the first submissions. :)
I have used the Limiter function on the spikes in the past and then trued amplify again on the whole recording and it fixed the issue. I could listen to the recordings when I get home and see how quiet they are.

elsieselwyn
Posts: 1547
Joined: March 28th, 2019, 8:37 pm
Location: Ohio, USA

Post by elsieselwyn » July 21st, 2019, 8:57 am

pattymarie wrote:
July 18th, 2019, 12:34 pm
Section 123 is PL OK. Thank you, Chad.

Section 148: Thank you for your interest in reading for Librivox. The reading is fine, but there are technical problems. Also, you haven't completed a one-minute test. The feedback to the test would have straightened out the technical problems. Your file is in stereo while it needs to be in mono. The volume at 94.5 is outside the acceptable range of 86 to 92. There's a problem with the bit rate which would best be explained by the people who listen to your test. So please, do the test.

Too, the file name needs to follow the specs in section 8 below the magic window on page one of the project.
For 148: Here’s the article explaining the 1 minute test: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=1-Minute_Test

Also, how do you want to be credited in the catalog by forum username, pseudonym, or real name?

pattymarie
Posts: 1669
Joined: April 18th, 2006, 12:17 pm

Post by pattymarie » July 21st, 2019, 10:47 am

elsieselwyn wrote:
July 21st, 2019, 8:54 am
pattymarie wrote:
July 21st, 2019, 2:42 am
elizabethcanright wrote:
July 20th, 2019, 9:08 pm
Yes, the volume was low and tried to get a full five seconds on the end!
Here is #95 and #96 re-do for PL
https://librivox.org/uploads/kikisaulite/irishpoetrypar1_095_graves_128kb.mp3

https://librivox.org/uploads/kikisaulite/irishpoetypar1_096_graves_128kb.mp3
The endings are fine now, but the volume is still far below the desired level. Section 95 is 80.2 dB and 96 is 79.4. Could you try to get them up to at least 86?

If you've already done the maximum amplification recommended by the "Amplify" effect, you probably have some volume spikes in your recording that are limiting the allowed level of amplification without clipping, which is undesirable. That happens to me a lot from sibilants, plosives and sometimes big vowel sounds. You can spot where they occur by viewing the whole recording in one window. Older versions of Audacity have "View (or Fit) in Window" selection in the "View" menu. The latest version has a "Zoom to Selection" choice in the "View" menu. You first click "Select All" then zoom to the selection and you see the whole recording compressed into one window. Then you can see the high volume spikes and select and use negative amplification on them. It's best to select them in the window, noting the approximate time location, and go back at least to "Normal" view before using negative amplification. It's even better to zoom in some to surgically de-amplify the spike without affecting surrounding sound that doesn't need to be lowered.

If there are a lot of spikes, that's a lot of work that you might not be up for. As long as my files are at least 86 dB, I give up striving for my own preferred 90-91 if there are a lot of them. I can ask Elsie or our mc to listen and decide whether these files are loud enough. They are much easier to hear than the first submissions. :)
I have used the Limiter function on the spikes in the past and then trued amplify again on the whole recording and it fixed the issue. I could listen to the recordings when I get home and see how quiet they are.
THANK YOU, Elsie, for informing me about the Limiter effect. I'd never heard of it. I imported each of these files into Audacity and found that actually the wave patterns were uniformly tiny with no visible spikes until I amplified them at a little below the allowed level. That created one spike that hit the ceiling and a few others pretty near it. The Limiter took those down a bit and I amplified again a bit under what was allowed. The mp3s then passed Checker at 89.5 for one and 89.6 for the other. I'm going to re-upload them and mark them PL OK. I hope I haven't badly deprived the reader of the learning experience by seizing it for myself. :roll:

Edit: Well, I've uploaded section 95, put it in the mw and marked it PL OK. I'll hold on to 96 to give Elizabeth a chance to gain the experience. If she chooses not to, I'll upload mine.

Elizabeth, the Limiter effect is down near the bottom of the effects (you have to use the arrow at the bottom to scroll down to it. I just used the default settings as I've never used it before and know nothing about it. I'm going to look for whether Phil Chenevert has done a video about it on YouTube.
Pattymarie

elsieselwyn
Posts: 1547
Joined: March 28th, 2019, 8:37 pm
Location: Ohio, USA

Post by elsieselwyn » July 21st, 2019, 5:49 pm

pattymarie wrote:
July 21st, 2019, 10:47 am
elsieselwyn wrote:
July 21st, 2019, 8:54 am
pattymarie wrote:
July 21st, 2019, 2:42 am


The endings are fine now, but the volume is still far below the desired level. Section 95 is 80.2 dB and 96 is 79.4. Could you try to get them up to at least 86?

If you've already done the maximum amplification recommended by the "Amplify" effect, you probably have some volume spikes in your recording that are limiting the allowed level of amplification without clipping, which is undesirable. That happens to me a lot from sibilants, plosives and sometimes big vowel sounds. You can spot where they occur by viewing the whole recording in one window. Older versions of Audacity have "View (or Fit) in Window" selection in the "View" menu. The latest version has a "Zoom to Selection" choice in the "View" menu. You first click "Select All" then zoom to the selection and you see the whole recording compressed into one window. Then you can see the high volume spikes and select and use negative amplification on them. It's best to select them in the window, noting the approximate time location, and go back at least to "Normal" view before using negative amplification. It's even better to zoom in some to surgically de-amplify the spike without affecting surrounding sound that doesn't need to be lowered.

If there are a lot of spikes, that's a lot of work that you might not be up for. As long as my files are at least 86 dB, I give up striving for my own preferred 90-91 if there are a lot of them. I can ask Elsie or our mc to listen and decide whether these files are loud enough. They are much easier to hear than the first submissions. :)
I have used the Limiter function on the spikes in the past and then trued amplify again on the whole recording and it fixed the issue. I could listen to the recordings when I get home and see how quiet they are.
THANK YOU, Elsie, for informing me about the Limiter effect. I'd never heard of it. I imported each of these files into Audacity and found that actually the wave patterns were uniformly tiny with no visible spikes until I amplified them at a little below the allowed level. That created one spike that hit the ceiling and a few others pretty near it. The Limiter took those down a bit and I amplified again a bit under what was allowed. The mp3s then passed Checker at 89.5 for one and 89.6 for the other. I'm going to re-upload them and mark them PL OK. I hope I haven't badly deprived the reader of the learning experience by seizing it for myself. :roll:

Edit: Well, I've uploaded section 95, put it in the mw and marked it PL OK. I'll hold on to 96 to give Elizabeth a chance to gain the experience. If she chooses not to, I'll upload mine.

Elizabeth, the Limiter effect is down near the bottom of the effects (you have to use the arrow at the bottom to scroll down to it. I just used the default settings as I've never used it before and know nothing about it. I'm going to look for whether Phil Chenevert has done a video about it on YouTube.
No problem! Glad it worked out :D

I have only really adjusted from the default setting by putting in a different dB number. Basically it defaults to 5dB and will lower the highlighted audio by 5dB. You can make the number higher or smaller as needed. However, I find that the default is usually fine :)

ellies
Posts: 618
Joined: April 13th, 2018, 11:12 pm
Location: UK

Post by ellies » July 23rd, 2019, 8:14 am

"The pure joy of reading and sharing with others, must never be taken for granted"- Ellies
Happy to claim orphaned sections.

elsieselwyn
Posts: 1547
Joined: March 28th, 2019, 8:37 pm
Location: Ohio, USA

Post by elsieselwyn » July 23rd, 2019, 8:14 am

ellies wrote:
July 23rd, 2019, 8:14 am
Hi section 40 is ready for PL!


https://librivox.org/uploads/kikisaulite/irishpoetrypart1_40_graves_128kb.mp3 03:40


thanks

ellies
Thank you!

ellies
Posts: 618
Joined: April 13th, 2018, 11:12 pm
Location: UK

Post by ellies » July 23rd, 2019, 8:17 am

:D
elsieselwyn wrote:
July 23rd, 2019, 8:14 am
ellies wrote:
July 23rd, 2019, 8:14 am
Hi section 40 is ready for PL!


https://librivox.org/uploads/kikisaulite/irishpoetrypart1_40_graves_128kb.mp3 03:40


thanks

ellies
Thank you!
"The pure joy of reading and sharing with others, must never be taken for granted"- Ellies
Happy to claim orphaned sections.

ellies
Posts: 618
Joined: April 13th, 2018, 11:12 pm
Location: UK

Post by ellies » July 23rd, 2019, 9:13 am

and 41!

https://librivox.org/uploads/kikisaulite/irishpoetrypart1_41_graves_128kb.mp3 01:58


will be back with some more soon


ellies
"The pure joy of reading and sharing with others, must never be taken for granted"- Ellies
Happy to claim orphaned sections.

Post Reply