[Complete] The Stolen Bacillus by HG Wells-ans

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
BenjaminD

Post by BenjaminD »

Yet another newbie here- I've gotten my one minute test OK'd, and i'm excited to join some projects.
May I record section 14 - "A Moth - Genus Novo"?
I'd like to go into the catalogue as Benjamin Davis.
DJRickyV

Post by DJRickyV »

if section 11 is still open, i can read for it
“Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few are to be chewed and digested.” - Francis Bacon
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

BenjaminD wrote: June 24th, 2019, 4:58 pm Yet another newbie here- I've gotten my one minute test OK'd, and i'm excited to join some projects.
May I record section 14 - "A Moth - Genus Novo"?
I'd like to go into the catalogue as Benjamin Davis.
Great! Thanks for doing your 1 minute test - I'll create your reader page now. Section 14 is yours - record when ready! All the information you need should be in the first post, but if you get stuck post back here and I'll try to help!
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

DJRickyV wrote: June 24th, 2019, 5:00 pm if section 11 is still open, i can read for it
Thanks! I was wondering who would claim that section - it's the longest in the book! ;)

EDIT: 2nd longest. The Island one is actually the longest - and hence the last story to be claimed.
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Snowdrop58 wrote: June 19th, 2019, 12:53 pm Hi

Here is Chapter 12 The Lord of the Dynamos.

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/stolenbacillus_12_wells_128kb.mp3 17mins46s

I hope it's Ok, this is my first recording! Please use my pseudonym - Snowdrop58. Feedback welcome - I'm sure there will be lots!! :?

Thanks
Christina
Oh, my! I did listen to this and neglected to post my notes. I do apologize.

First, you reading is just marvelous and a pleasure to listen to!

There are just a few technical issues to address, however.

Actually, the file length comes to 23:54, a long way from the 17:46 you gave. But, we need to have an additional 2 seconds added to the end (we need 5 seconds, and you have 3)

The major problem, however, is a very loud hum or buzz throughout the recording. I'm not sure why Phil did not pick this up on your one-minute test recording, because I do hear it there, although not quite as loud. I'm not sure what it is, but I think it is an electric current hum at about 50 Hz. Phil has a video on how to use the notch filter in Audacity to remove these, but I still haven't been able to use it. I did run Noise Reduction at 12, twice, and that seemed to take it down. (I can upload the corrected file for you if you don't want to go to the technical side, but at some point you will need to figure out what is causing the buzz and see if you can eliminate it. Just let me know).

Anyway, I hope we will hear a lot more of your fine recording voice here on LibriVox!

~Larry
~ Larry
Snowdrop58

Post by Snowdrop58 »

Hi Larry

Many thanks for the feedback!

Please do go ahead and upload for me! I will need to take a look at the hum problem. I didn’t hear it on my iMac recording but after converting to MP3 I could hear the definite hum you describe. I’ll try and sort this out for the future. Thanks for your kind words about my voice.

I look forward to further narrations!

Kind regards
Christina
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

It's probable it comes from some electrical device near your recording, so it's worth looking around and shutting things you aren't using for the recording down and seeing if that helps,. Run your portable on battery power, check flickering lights, are you charging a phone, etc ? using wifi, got a goldfish tank? These are some sources people have found interfering with recordings. I'm sure there are many more, but they are worth a try.

Anne
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Snowdrop58 wrote: July 7th, 2019, 12:48 am Hi Larry

Many thanks for the feedback!

Please do go ahead and upload for me! I will need to take a look at the hum problem. I didn’t hear it on my iMac recording but after converting to MP3 I could hear the definite hum you describe. I’ll try and sort this out for the future. Thanks for your kind words about my voice.

I look forward to further narrations!

Kind regards
Christina
OK, I've uploaded the corrected file and updated the MW.
Looking forward to your next recording!
~ Larry
Snowdrop58

Post by Snowdrop58 »

annise wrote: July 7th, 2019, 3:41 am It's probable it comes from some electrical device near your recording, so it's worth looking around and shutting things you aren't using for the recording down and seeing if that helps,. Run your portable on battery power, check flickering lights, are you charging a phone, etc ? using wifi, got a goldfish tank? These are some sources people have found interfering with recordings. I'm sure there are many more, but they are worth a try.

Anne

Thanks Anne! I wonder if it’s my desk lamp? That’s the first thing I’ll look at!!

Christina
whitejamest

Post by whitejamest »

Hi, I just posted section 04, ready for review:

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/stolenbacillus_04_wells_128kb.mp3

Came out to 08:41
narratedbyrandall

Post by narratedbyrandall »

I would like to read Section 10 - Aepyornis Island please.

Thank you,
- Lauren
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

whitejamest wrote: July 10th, 2019, 7:09 pm Hi, I just posted section 04, ready for review:

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/stolenbacillus_04_wells_128kb.mp3

Came out to 08:41
Thanks James! This is in the MW, and I’ve created your reader page too! Click on your name to see it!
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

narratedbyrandall wrote: July 10th, 2019, 11:35 pm I would like to read Section 10 - Aepyornis Island please.

Thank you,
Welcome to the project! I was wonder who would take that one! I think it’s the longest story in the book!
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

And we are now FULL! :9:
narratedbyrandall

Post by narratedbyrandall »

Elizabby wrote: July 10th, 2019, 11:41 pm And we are now FULL! :9:
:clap:
- Lauren