[SHORT STORIES] Stories and Pictures by I. L. Peretz; translated by Helena Frank (1872-1954 - mas

Short Poetry Collections, Short Story Collections, and our Weekly Poetry Project
laughingcat302

Post by laughingcat302 » March 11th, 2020, 10:13 pm

Ok, so I am ready to start uploading my completed recordings, and I'm not seeing Lynda or Lmnei listed on the Librivox Uploader at all. Is there a glitch or something else happening?

Natalie/VioletBleu
Violet Bleu
"She believed she could, so she did"--R.S. Grey

Ldear

Post by Ldear » March 13th, 2020, 3:02 pm

okay. this took me way longer to make the corrections than I thought it would. I do not know how to quickly change (re-record) a word or phrase. I get so mad at myself for making it more difficult than I know it has to be. I get advice and help and watch videos, but somehow, it is still challenging for me. I wish I had a coach or teacher by my side to help me, because I really do learn quick. Just must be missing something......???

anyway, here (hopefully, goodness, my fingers are crossed) is my recording with the removal of the 2 things you told me and the re-recording of the word husband.
whew.

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/letter_2_recording_second_time.mp3 5:38

MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel » March 14th, 2020, 1:08 pm

laughingcat302 wrote:
March 11th, 2020, 10:13 pm
Ok, so I am ready to start uploading my completed recordings, and I'm not seeing Lynda or Lmnei listed on the Librivox Uploader at all. Is there a glitch or something else happening?

Natalie/VioletBleu
Natalie,

There are two separate roles on projects - Lynda is the book coordinator (BC), so she handles all the word to select the book, assign readers and get the book read and ready for the catalog. I'm the meta-coordinator (MC), so I handle all the behind the scenes stuff. You need to upload your files to the MC's folder, so look for MaryAnnSpiegel in the drop down menu.

The first post in every thread has the name of the MC in the section where it tells you how to upload your files. We also add our initials to the project thread.

If you have any other questions, please let us know!

MaryAnn

laughingcat302

Post by laughingcat302 » March 14th, 2020, 7:03 pm

Hi,

Here are chapters 4 and 5 (aka 13 &14):

Section 13 (or 4 in the book): Time 15:57 min.
https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/storiesandpictures_04_peretz_128kb.mp3

Section 14 (or 5 in the book): Time: 13:26 min.
https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/storiesandpictures_05_peretz_128kb.mp3

Thanks!
Violet Bleu

laughingcat302

Post by laughingcat302 » March 14th, 2020, 7:05 pm

MaryAnnSpiegel wrote:
March 14th, 2020, 1:08 pm
laughingcat302 wrote:
March 11th, 2020, 10:13 pm

Natalie/VioletBleu
Natalie,

There are two separate roles on projects - Lynda is the book coordinator (BC), so she handles all the word to select the book, assign readers and get the book read and ready for the catalog. I'm the meta-coordinator (MC), so I handle all the behind the scenes stuff. You need to upload your files to the MC's folder, so look for MaryAnnSpiegel in the drop down menu.

The first post in every thread has the name of the MC in the section where it tells you how to upload your files. We also add our initials to the project thread.

If you have any other questions, please let us know!

MaryAnn
Thank you for the clarification! :clap:
Violet Bleu

aneesha

Post by aneesha » March 17th, 2020, 11:26 am

Hey!

I'd like to work on section 48. :)

laughingcat302

Post by laughingcat302 » March 22nd, 2020, 7:39 pm

Hi,

Here is Section 25, part I. Time is 14:41.

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/storiesandpictures_60_peretz_128kb.mp3

I applied the compressor, and ran it through the Checker a couple more times. Let me know if there are any issues with background noise, of course! :)

Natalie
Violet Bleu

MaraBella

Post by MaraBella » March 25th, 2020, 9:44 am

Hi Lmnei,

I'm so sorry but I have found that as much as I enjoy the actual recording of these pieces, I've been dragging my heels ad infinitum when it comes to the editing of them, so I apologize for not making this decision sooner, but I'm going to back out of the sections I claimed for now. (I think they would be overdue by this point anyway, but I wanted to communicate directly about it so you can know for certain!)

I have The Poor Little Boy all recorded and it's just a matter of editing the last 10 minutes which is one reason I've been so ambivalent about letting go, but it's just not possible for me to responsibly take part in this project right now. Thank you so much for all your amazing hard work. It means so much to me that this project is happening and I've been so grateful and delighted to be a part of it! Can't wait to hear the final product one day. :D

- Mara
- Mara

CC of any kind, from any source, is welcome and encouraged. I am brand new to this and hardly know what I am doing, but I'm very eager to learn!

Lmnei

Post by Lmnei » March 29th, 2020, 4:32 pm

Ldear wrote:
March 13th, 2020, 3:02 pm
okay. this took me way longer to make the corrections than I thought it would. I do not know how to quickly change (re-record) a word or phrase. I get so mad at myself for making it more difficult than I know it has to be. I get advice and help and watch videos, but somehow, it is still challenging for me. I wish I had a coach or teacher by my side to help me, because I really do learn quick. Just must be missing something......???

anyway, here (hopefully, goodness, my fingers are crossed) is my recording with the removal of the 2 things you told me and the re-recording of the word husband.
whew.

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/letter_2_recording_second_time.mp3 5:38
Hi there! Thanks so much for your edits. I will listen to this file and check them. I am VERY SORRY that it has taken some time to get back to you - I got stuck in New Zealand (not a bad place to get stuck) and had to find my way back to Canada so I was not online for the past 2 weeks due to various issues). I am now back :)

For the future, when doing edits and re-submitting a file, it needs to use the same naming convention as laid out on the front page of this book which is the same name as you originally named the file. The Librivox system is set up to save the new file and to also re-name the previous one so we have a backup of the original file.

Lynda

Lmnei

Post by Lmnei » March 29th, 2020, 4:33 pm

laughingcat302 wrote:
March 14th, 2020, 7:03 pm
Hi,

Here are chapters 4 and 5 (aka 13 &14):

Section 13 (or 4 in the book): Time 15:57 min.
https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/storiesandpictures_04_peretz_128kb.mp3

Section 14 (or 5 in the book): Time: 13:26 min.
https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/storiesandpictures_05_peretz_128kb.mp3

Thanks!
Thanks so much! I have entered this in the MW and will listen to them today :) Sorry for the delay - I was unexpectedly offline for 2 weeks due to issues getting back to Canada from Down Under.

Lynda

Lmnei

Post by Lmnei » March 29th, 2020, 4:37 pm

aneesha wrote:
March 17th, 2020, 11:26 am
Hey!

I'd like to work on section 48. :)
Hi there! Welcome to Librivox!

Have you done your 1 minute test yet? If so, is this your 1st reading for Librivox? If so, I am happy to assign it to you however first I need to know what name you want to have displayed to the outside world as the reader for book chapters/books. For example, I am lmnei in Librivox but Lynda Neilson (my name) when the book chapters are published. You can pick any name you want for the outside world - or just use the same aneesha there too!

I will keep Section 48 for you until you get back to me -

Lynda

Lmnei

Post by Lmnei » March 29th, 2020, 4:38 pm

laughingcat302 wrote:
March 22nd, 2020, 7:39 pm
Hi,

Here is Section 25, part I. Time is 14:41.

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/storiesandpictures_60_peretz_128kb.mp3

I applied the compressor, and ran it through the Checker a couple more times. Let me know if there are any issues with background noise, of course! :)

Natalie
Got it! Into the MW and I will try get back to you today :)

Lynda

Lmnei

Post by Lmnei » March 29th, 2020, 4:38 pm

MaraBella wrote:
March 25th, 2020, 9:44 am
Hi Lmnei,

I'm so sorry but I have found that as much as I enjoy the actual recording of these pieces, I've been dragging my heels ad infinitum when it comes to the editing of them, so I apologize for not making this decision sooner, but I'm going to back out of the sections I claimed for now. (I think they would be overdue by this point anyway, but I wanted to communicate directly about it so you can know for certain!)

I have The Poor Little Boy all recorded and it's just a matter of editing the last 10 minutes which is one reason I've been so ambivalent about letting go, but it's just not possible for me to responsibly take part in this project right now. Thank you so much for all your amazing hard work. It means so much to me that this project is happening and I've been so grateful and delighted to be a part of it! Can't wait to hear the final product one day. :D

- Mara
Not a problem Mara - take care!

Lmnei

Post by Lmnei » March 29th, 2020, 5:30 pm

Hi Natalie -

Here is your feedback for Sections 13, 14 and 60 -

First of all EXCELLENT readings! There were NO mistakes in the 3 sections in terms of the text! That is awesome!

Section 13 –
Please change file name to storiesandpictures_13_peretz_128kb
0:05, 0:23 and 15:48 - recording should say Section 13 not Section 4

Section 14 –
Please change file name to storiesandpictures_14_peretz_128kb
0:05, 0:25 and 13:20 - recording should say Section 14 not Section 5
The volume for this recording is a bit high at 93.6 dB - please reduce it to around 89dB

Section 60 –
0:01 and 0:25 - recording should say Section 60 not Section 25
You are missing the end of the recording – “End of Section [Section number]" "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"

Please upload the fixed and renamed files and I will check them when you are done -

Lynda

Lmnei

Post by Lmnei » March 29th, 2020, 6:08 pm

Lmnei wrote:
March 29th, 2020, 4:32 pm
Ldear wrote:
March 13th, 2020, 3:02 pm

whew.

Hi there! Thanks so much for your edits. I will listen to this file and check them. I am VERY SORRY that it has taken some time to get back to you - I got stuck in New Zealand (not a bad place to get stuck) and had to find my way back to Canada so I was not online for the past 2 weeks due to various issues). I am now back :)

For the future, when doing edits and re-submitting a file, it needs to use the same naming convention as laid out on the front page of this book which is the same name as you originally named the file. The Librivox system is set up to save the new file and to also re-name the previous one so we have a backup of the original file.

Lynda
Hi Linda - me again! I have downloaded your "letter 2 recording second time" file twice now and the changes requested are not in there. Is it possible you saved them somewhere else like in the original file?

I am more than happy to help you!

To delete things, just open the recording and on the window in Audacity you will see on the tool bar a + and - button. Click on the + button so that the recording gets wider - you are wanting to see 1 second at a time. Now scroll to where the time is that I said to remove the 119 - I think it was around 2:39. Place your mouse at 2:25 or so and press play. You will hear the recording start at 2:25 and continue. Watch the waves for when you hear 119. It is those waves you want to delete. When you figure out which ones they are highlight them. When they are highlighted you can press play again and it will just play the highlighted section - so you should just hear 119. If that is correct press your delete key on your keyboard.

Now, scroll to the end of your recording. Find where you start saying the sentence about the end of the book - which I noted as not needed. When you find that, again highlight it, listen to it and delete. Remember not to delete to the end of the recording as you do need to keep 5 seconds of silence at the end. So just delete the portion that says "End of ...".

Now export your file (in the format specified) as the next thing to do is a bit more difficult until you get the hang of it.

Now, to record the word husband. This is what I do when I have a word that is cut off and I need to re-record.
First, go to the place in the recording where I indicated that the word had the problem. You need to decide whether you are just going to record the word or the whole sentence. Depending on what you decide - highlight it.
Now open a new Audible window (File / New).
Start recording and say the words that you highlighted. Stop recording.
Now, highlight the words that you recorded.
Select Edit and then Copy from the Menu on the top. This recording has now been placed in the computers memory.
Now switch to the first Audible window (do not click in the recording area - just click on the top of the window) and with the recorded area still highlighted (if it is not, please highlight it again) from the Menu Bar select Edit and then Paste.
This should paste your new recorded words in the place of your old ones.

Now, listen to your new recording - it should be fixed!

Now Export the recording and upload it if you are happy and I will check it out - if you have questions I am here to help you - feel free to message or post here and I can give you some more instructions or tips :)

Lynda