COMPLETE [GROUP] The Doves' Nest and Other Stories - Katherine Mansfield - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

The Doves' Nest and Other Stories by Katherine Mansfield (1888 - 1923).

This project is now complete! All audio files can now be found on the catalog page for this project https://librivox.org/the-doves-nest-and-other-stories-by-katherine-mansfield/
The Doves' Nest and Other Stories is a collection of complete stories and fragments by the writer Katherine Mansfield. The book was published several months after the Kiwi author's death. (Rob Marland)
  • This is one of the 1923 books that recently entered PD in the US, so it's our first chance to record most of these stories.

1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): https://archive.org/details/in.ernet.dli.2015.510630
    5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
      ============================================
    6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: viewtopic.php?p=6430#p6430

Set your recording software to:
      Channels: 1 (Mono)
      Bit Rate: 128 kbps
      Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
    7. DURING recording:
      No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
      Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
      START of recording (Intro)
      • "Section [number] of The Doves' Nest and Other Stories. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
      • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • Say:
        "The Doves' Nest and Other Stories, by Katherine Mansfield. [Section Title]"

END of recording
      • At the end of the section, say:
        "End of [Section]"
      • If you wish, say:
        "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
        "End of The Doves' Nest and Other Stories, by Katherine Mansfield. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
    8. AFTER recording
      Need noise-cleaning?
      Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The latest version of Audacity is recommended for noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
      Save files as
      128 kbps MP3
      dovesnest_##_mansfield_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. dovesnest_01_mansfield_128kb.mp3)

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.
      Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
      • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
        (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: Kitty
      • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
      • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
      Please post below
Last edited by RobMarland on January 20th, 2019, 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rob Marland reader section | website
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Sounds interesting, Rob. I'll set this up shortly :) I have never read anything by Mansfield before, so I might even take a story (if it's not too long, I prefer shorter sections).

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ok, MW is ready to be filled in. I only changed the intro/outro to "section" instead of "chapter" but if you prefer chapter, you can switch it back. I wasn't sure if some stories might need several sections.

Sonia
RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

Thanks, Sonia! I've listed the length of the stories in the MW so everyone can pick ones that work best for us.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

RobMarland wrote: January 8th, 2019, 6:09 am Thanks, Sonia! I've listed the length of the stories in the MW so everyone can pick ones that work best for us.
:thumbs: good thinking. Any story you would recommend that is not too depressing ?

Sonia
RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

Kitty wrote: January 8th, 2019, 6:11 am
RobMarland wrote: January 8th, 2019, 6:09 am Thanks, Sonia! I've listed the length of the stories in the MW so everyone can pick ones that work best for us.
:thumbs: good thinking. Any story you would recommend that is not too depressing ?

Sonia
Afraid not, this collection is new to me too. I added it because it's in the crop of 1923 books. Fingers crossed it's a good read!
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

RobMarland wrote: January 8th, 2019, 6:14 am Afraid not, this collection is new to me too. I added it because it's in the crop of 1923 books. Fingers crossed it's a good read!
:lol: ok I see. Well, I'll go with "Honesty" (16) then for starters. Sounds like one couldn't go wrong with that. ;)

Sonia
RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

Regarding PL duties: I am happy to PL other readers' files, so I just need someone to PL mine. I'm not sure how many I'll read: I'll just plod along until we're done.
RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

Kitty wrote: January 8th, 2019, 6:16 am
RobMarland wrote: January 8th, 2019, 6:14 am Afraid not, this collection is new to me too. I added it because it's in the crop of 1923 books. Fingers crossed it's a good read!
:lol: ok I see. Well, I'll go with "Honesty" (16) then for starters. Sounds like one couldn't go wrong with that. ;)

Sonia
OK, thanks!
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

RobMarland wrote: January 8th, 2019, 6:17 amRegarding PL duties: I am happy to PL other readers' files, so I just need someone to PL mine. I'm not sure how many I'll read: I'll just plod along until we're done.
oh ok. I'll put you in as DPL then. I don't mind PLing your files in return. :)

that's settled then

Sonia
thestorygirl

Post by thestorygirl »

I'll ask for just one: Taking the Veil ...?
RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

thestorygirl wrote: January 8th, 2019, 11:19 am I'll ask for just one: Taking the Veil ...?
Thanks - have fun!
RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

Here are sections 00 and 19. Turns out she's funny and not depressing at all! Such relief!

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/dovesnest_00_mansfield_128kb.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/dovesnest_19_mansfield_128kb.mp3

I'll read Six Years After next.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

RobMarland wrote: January 9th, 2019, 11:27 am Here are sections 00 and 19. Turns out she's funny and not depressing at all! Such relief!
good to know. I will PL tomorrow.

Meanwhile I think I can move us to Readers Wanted: Short Works

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

So I just had a listen to both your sections Rob and of course they are wonderfully narrated :9: The story of the Williamses is indeed written with humour and lots of dialogue makes it lively. I loved the pun in your end disclaimer about Switzerland :lol: :thumbs: I was thinking the same thing when I started the story and heard it was to be about Switzerland. I figured that was one of the reasons you may have chosen this story.

Both sections PL ok.

I have only one thought, one suggestion you could say, about section 19, in this line:

> at 4:07: (p. 222) “Thank you, m’m.” – you make it sound as if it was Mrs Williams speaking, but I have the feeling this would be the grocer, joining in their conversation, and that's what's making them embarrassed. I think this "m'm" is not a musing "ahem" but rather a humble "mam" or "mum", like the servants would call their lady. :hmm: It would give a different vibe to this part of the dialogue and announce the embarrassing grocer better and why the ladies are startled. But that was only a thought I had while listening and I wanted to tell you :) To take or ignore, as you please :mrgreen: (sorry, my drama-PLing was kicking in :lol: )

Good start !

Sonia