COMPLETE [Fortnightly Poetry] Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, by Robert Frost - dl

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
msfry

Post by msfry »

McScotty wrote: January 7th, 2019, 6:22 pm
msfry wrote: January 7th, 2019, 10:06 am My rendition:

https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/snowyevening_frost_mtf_128kb.mp3 1:09
There appears to be a typo in the MW for this entry. The link I see in the MW links to /uploads/aradlaw/snowyevening_frost_myf_128kb.mp3 ... which does not exist.
Fixed. Thanks. You are an agile co-pilot.
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

How could I not?
Here I am, back in the New Hampshire woods, with the wind blowing, coming off the frozen lake. All I need is the horse! But, then, I am now safely home, although this could be my commuting poem . . .

https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/snowyevening_frost_lcw_128kb.mp3 1:01

ETA: correct link
~ Larry
NOTE: Traveling without internet until March 17
msfry

Post by msfry »

pschempf wrote: January 7th, 2019, 5:59 pm Hi Michele -

Here's my try -

https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/snowyevening_frost_ps)128kb.mp3
Track length: 1:00
The link doesn't look right. Could you upload again?
msfry

Post by msfry »

Hypatia, Jim, Emily, Winston and Larry, thank you for your contributions. All are PL OK.

Question for you, Larry in New Hampshire, from mostly snowless Southern Louisiana. Does snow make noise? I always imagined it drifted down in profound silence.

"The only other sound’s the sweep
Of easy wind and downy flake."
jfgallagher

Post by jfgallagher »

Michele,

Though I now live in mostly snowless Texas, I have spent plenty of time in snow country.

The answer is that it depends on what kind of snow! I am no expert, but I have been told that the Eskimos and Inuits have like 17 different words for snow.

The big, fluffy flakes that fall on a calm day not only fall silently, but do a marvelous job of muffing all other sounds. At the other end of the spectrum are the little pellets of snow that rattle off the remaining leaves and make a gentle hiss as they bounce off a crusted snow cover.

With "easy wind" you would be hard-pressed to catch the sound of the snow flakes...too much background noise (need real life 'noise removal'!).
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

msfry wrote: January 8th, 2019, 8:06 am Hypatia, Jim, Emily, Winston and Larry, thank you for your contributions. All are PL OK.

Question for you, Larry in New Hampshire, from mostly snowless Southern Louisiana. Does snow make noise? I always imagined it drifted down in profound silence.

"The only other sound’s the sweep
Of easy wind and downy flake."
That is an interesting line, isn't it.
I think it is a poetic way of conveying the silence of the evening. An "easy wind" can barely be heard, even in the New Hampshire woods. The "downy flake," only in poetic imagination. It is quiet in the woods on a snowy evening. Everything is insulated. The snow may be falling, even blowing a little, but one thinks all of that motion should be making a sound, but it doesn't. There really is something peaceful about falling snow. And small sounds travel out over the frozen lake unhindered. The night I read this, there was more than an easy wind. I wasn't sure if the mike might pick up some of the noise.

Oh, then come the plows and roaring snowmobiles!
~ Larry
NOTE: Traveling without internet until March 17
pschempf

Post by pschempf »

Michele -

Here's the corrected link. My finger must have been wandering.

https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/snowyevening_frost_ps_128kb.mp3
Fritz

"A small daily task, if it be really daily, will beat the labors of a spasmodic Hercules."

Trollope
msfry

Post by msfry »

silverquill wrote: January 8th, 2019, 8:51 am That is an interesting line, isn't it.
I think it is a poetic way of conveying the silence of the evening. An "easy wind" can barely be heard, even in the New Hampshire woods. The "downy flake," only in poetic imagination. It is quiet in the woods on a snowy evening. Everything is insulated. The snow may be falling, even blowing a little, but one thinks all of that motion should be making a sound, but it doesn't. There really is something peaceful about falling snow. And small sounds travel out over the frozen lake unhindered. The night I read this, there was more than an easy wind. I wasn't sure if the mike might pick up some of the noise.

Oh, then come the plows and roaring snowmobiles!
Indeed. A profound silence of winter wonderland, which I experienced once in the Smokies.
One of my favorite songs. The Sound of Silence, Simon & Garfunkel
I love the little horsie with his tinkling bells. :D
msfry

Post by msfry »

pschempf wrote: January 8th, 2019, 10:22 am Michele -

Here's the corrected link. My finger must have been wandering.

https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/snowyevening_frost_ps_128kb.mp3
PL OK
SweetHome

Post by SweetHome »

McScotty

Post by McScotty »

--Scott
* I am always looking for constructive input on my reading.
brucek

Post by brucek »

msfry

Post by msfry »

Thank you SweetHome, Scott and Bruce. All 3 are PL OK. :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:
KIBBONAFIDE

Post by KIBBONAFIDE »

Josh Kibbey
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

Tomas Peter