COMPLETE: Short Nonfiction Collection, Vol. 063 - jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

I have recorded a very short piece, an entry from the Encyclopedia Brittanica and will upload in a day or two.

Honestly, I find the speed at which the SNF is filling up lately very...concerning?? I mean, I'm happy that the collection as a whole is getting more recognition and all, but I now have to come up with a new piece every two weeks or so, and with my current 10+ hour workdays this is not easy. I am still committed to keep my spotless "attendance" here so to speak, but right now, this has become more stressful than enjoyable. :?
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

Availle wrote: January 20th, 2019, 8:49 am I have recorded a very short piece, an entry from the Encyclopedia Brittanica and will upload in a day or two.

Honestly, I find the speed at which the SNF is filling up lately very...concerning?? I mean, I'm happy that the collection as a whole is getting more recognition and all, but I now have to come up with a new piece every two weeks or so, and with my current 10+ hour workdays this is not easy. I am still committed to keep my spotless "attendance" here so to speak, but right now, this has become more stressful than enjoyable. :?
Hi Availe, I take your comments to be a plea to save you a space, and I've put you down for #14 (just in case you find #13 stressful, I skipped that one). :lol: We appreciate your faithful participation in the Nonfiction Collection and want your experience to be an enjoyable one, a wish I certainly hold for anyone who chooses to add their voice to the Collection! :)
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

In the beginning, I also tried to contribute something to every SNF collection, but I eventually found this more stressful than fun, so now I just submit something here when I find a really compelling selection. :)

It's up to Sue, but we could expand to 20 submissions per collection or limit readers to 1 or 2 items per collection to give more folks an opportunity to participate.
Jo
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

knotyouraveragejo wrote: January 20th, 2019, 2:18 pm In the beginning, I also tried to contribute something to every SNF collection, but I eventually found this more stressful than fun, so now I just submit something here when I find a really compelling selection. :)

It's up to Sue, but we could expand to 20 submissions per collection or limit readers to 1 or 2 items per collection to give more folks an opportunity to participate.
I have opened 3 additional sections, for a total of 18. The current limit on contributions is 3 per person per volume.
lurcherlover

Post by lurcherlover »

I was going to add my third and last item to the collection but I'm having a lot of trouble with it and so I will hold off until the next collection. I do find these essays very hard to do, and the editing can become a bit of a nightmare, which is unusual for me as I've been an experienced editor over several decades ... (including classical music editing). Maybe I'm just getting old and past it?

I think it's because essays and this sort of project have less of an obvious thread going through them than a short story or a book. They tend to ramble on in a disjointed way and sometimes waffle quite a lot.

I think the additional six or so spots in the MW are a good idea, the only thing is that sometimes it may take a lot longer to fill up. But you can always reduce the number I suppose if things get really quiet.
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Thanks for expanding the collection! I had another piece in mind to do for this one but when I saw Availle's post I thought I might hold off til the next one!

I'm on a 2018 challenge to contribute at least one item to all the short works collections that start in this year. We'll see if I get it. The NF and short fiction ones always go pretty quickly.
Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

Peter and Colleen, Thanks for your comments and participation in the collection! :)
Grothmann

Post by Grothmann »

Hi:

Just one more? Please? This is so good.

Charity
by Ambrose Bierce
Read by Dale Grothmann
Time 4:40

Text at --
http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/25304
Audio at
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf063_charity_bierce_dg_128kb.mp3

Thanks
Dale
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

Grothmann wrote: January 27th, 2019, 1:39 pm Hi:

Just one more? Please? This is so good.

Charity
by Ambrose Bierce
Read by Dale Grothmann
Time 4:40

Thanks
Dale
Thanks, Dale! :)
soupy

Post by soupy »

Thaniks Dale :D

One error noted
1:02 It blesses not only him who receives (when he is worthy; and when he is not upon his own head be it), but him who gives. You read to for but

Organized charity is a delusion and a snare. It enables Munniglut to think himself a good man for paying annual dues and buying transferable meal tickets. Munniglut is not thereby, a good man. On the Last Great Day, when he cowers in the Ineffable Presence and is asked for an accounting it will not help him to say, "Hearing that A was in want I gave money for his need to B." Nor will it help B to say, "When A was in distress I asked C to relieve him, and myself allotted the relief according to a resolution of D, E and F."
Craig
The world needs some positive fanaticism.

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaard on Christianity
Kierkegaards Challenge
Grothmann

Post by Grothmann »

Thanks, Craig.

Correction is made and reloaded.

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf063_charity_bierce_dg_128kb.mp3

All Else the same.

Thanks again
Dale
soupy

Post by soupy »

Thanks Dale- PLOK :thumbs:

Craig
The world needs some positive fanaticism.

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaard on Christianity
Kierkegaards Challenge
lurcherlover

Post by lurcherlover »

As there seems to be a halt in proceedings I thought that I should upload my contribution rather than let it hang around, and especially as it could be my last recording for LV for some time.

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf063_preface_conrad_pt_128kb.mp3

Source: http://www.gutenberg.org/files/38280/38280-h/38280-h.htm#A_FAMILIAR_PREFACE

A Familiar Preface by Joseph Conrad (1857-1924)
Duration: 22:27
21.54MB

Peter
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

lurcherlover wrote: January 28th, 2019, 2:07 am As there seems to be a halt in proceedings I thought that I should upload my contribution rather than let it hang around, and especially as it could be my last recording for LV for some time.

A Familiar Preface by Joseph Conrad (1857-1924)
Duration: 22:27
21.54MB

Peter
Many thanks, Peter! :)
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

Here is another illustrative bit of Illinois history:
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf063_barbwire_anonymous_sa_128kb.mp3
20:42

Joseph Glidden and Barb Wire Fencing
from The Prairie Farmer, Vol. 56, No. 1, January 5, 1884
Anonymous

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/17512/17512-h/17512-h.htm

The Glidden home in DeKalb is, today, a museum , with displays of early barbed wire.
http://www.gliddenhomestead.org/