[COMPLETE]World's Story 5: Italy, France, Spain, Portugal - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

adr6090 wrote: December 11th, 2018, 2:23 pmMore than happy to cut more seconds out if you would like. :hmm:
no it's ok, let's not meddle in it anymore. It's fine like this :) but thanks for the offer.

Sonia
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

alanmapstone wrote: December 12th, 2018, 10:22 amSection 81 - The Retreat from Moscow - time 3:33
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume05_081_tappan_128kb.mp3
ah yes, the famous major defeat of Napoleon in Russia. We already learnt about this episode in highschool. Hearing you narrate it now it sounded even more horrific. What a waste of life. It's a wonder they didn't deport Napoleon to St. Helena immediately after this disaster.

Perfectly PL ok again, Alan. Thank you so much

Sonia
adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

:thumbs:
Kitty wrote: December 12th, 2018, 12:51 am
adr6090 wrote: December 11th, 2018, 2:23 pmMore than happy to cut more seconds out if you would like. :hmm:
no it's ok, let's not meddle in it anymore. It's fine like this :) but thanks for the offer.

Sonia
April
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

Here is 49--but she doesn't sound schizophrenic:

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume05_049_tappan_128kb.mp3 9.56 KB

10:11

Jim :thumbs:
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

neecheelok70 wrote: December 12th, 2018, 4:33 pmHere is 49--but she doesn't sound schizophrenic:
well she did mention the voices at the end ;)

Must be a horrible death to die in flames :? Thank you for yet another interesting section, Jim.

This time a have a few notes though:

the first one is optional, I'm only mentioning it, because I know you want to get pronunciation tips as well. ;)

The female French name "Jeanne" should not be pronounced with a nasal "an" at the end, because that way it means the male French name "Jean" (unlike in English, Jean is a male name in French, not female, the female version is Jeanne). So you have to proounce the 'n' at the end: "Jann" rhyming on the English word "sun".

The name is mentioned 3 times in the text and it was a bit startling for me to hear a male name, but as I said, it's probably optional, as the listeners will know who we're talking about anyway. So I leave it up to you if you want to change them:

> at 0:31: (p. 193) “The death of Jeanne d’Arc”
> at 4:50: (p. 194) “Jeanne, self-styled the Maid”
> at 5:39: (p. 195) “Jeanne sat quietly through the sermon”

however, you forgot one footnote, which I would like to have included:

> at 7:57: (p. 196) “Footnote – Be of good courage ! on ! on ! – End of Footnote

thank you !

Sonia
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

Thanks for the help. I will fix name and note this evening. Jim :thumbs:
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

Hi Kitty!

I am back - here are some of the readings I completed on the plane -

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume05_018_tappan_128kb.mp3 - 8:27
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume05_027_tappan_128kb.mp3 - 8:49
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume05_048_tappan_128kb.mp3 - 2:51
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume05_054_tappan_128kb.mp3 - 2:51

Yes, the last two have the same time. It was really cool recording these when on vacation in Italy and France in the last 3 weeks!

Lynda
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Lmnei wrote: December 13th, 2018, 2:20 pm It was really cool recording these when on vacation in Italy and France in the last 3 weeks!
oh you took the microphone with you ? How dedicated. Thank you for your sections, Lynda, will update MW, and PL tomorrow morning.

Sonia
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

Sonia -

Yes I did as that is what I also use for Skype to call home so my parents do not think I am not thinking of them. In addition it was my mother's 80th and I would have been dis-owned if I did not call on her birthday!

I have the rest of my sections already done - I just need to PL them myself....

Lynda
adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume05_085_tappan_128kb.mp3 time 34:41
Hello Sonia,thank
Here is the 20 page section, whew.... :clap: Please do let me know of any corrections that I need to make and I do think there will be some. The last line in this section ended with a comma. Seems as though there should be something following that, not blank pages and than the next section. :hmm:
April
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

soooo, thanks for all these, Lynda ! Each one a very interesting section. :D The reading was very good and fluent, though sometimes you have a bit of a plosive problem, careful about that. It helps to put the microphone a bit to the side of your face, not full-on in front of you mouth. That way the air blows alongside it and not into it. Will reduce the risk of plosives ;)

Sections 91 and 92 are immediately PL ok. For 91 I have only a length of 1:41 minutes (instead of 2:03) but everything seems to be recorded, so maybe it was only an oversight on your part of noting down the length.

For the other sections, I have a few small PL notes, most of them very easy to correct, don't worry. I'm giving you the pages for easier reference:

for Section 18: (can elections be any more complicated than this ? :shock: :lol: )

> at 0:40-0:42: almost 3 seconds of pause between intro and start of text seem a bit overly long to me. I started to think there was sth wrong with the recording ;)

> at 0:56: (p. 51) “five hundred years later” - stumble: “from”, can be cut out

> at 7:17: (p. 54): “Then amid great rejoicing” – I hear a loud “sss” sound that can be cut out

> at 7:54: (p. 54): “safety, honour, long life and victory” – you say “life-long

> at 8:04: (p. 54): “and the chaplains went to S. Agostino” – this is a common abbreviation and should be read “San Agostino” (it’s a church)

for Section 27:

> at 3:18: (p. 95): “ ‘T is twenty months” – this is an abbreviation for “it is”, so it should be read “tis” (not “tee is”)

> at 6:46: (p. 96): “Sometimes he stands before yon orange-pot” – you say “you” which sounds a bit strange. It actually means “yonder” (it’s an abbreviated form, to make more poetic)

for Section 48:

> at 0:24: (p. 192): “painting page 192” – you say “197”.

for Section 54:

> at 1:38: (p. 226): “the tomb of Louis XII” – you say “seventh” but it’s actually the “twelfth

for Section 96: Paulus better not had bragged so much. Shows again the pride comes before the fall LOL

> at 0:06: “read for LibriVox.org” – you forgot “dot org

> at 0:18-0:20: again, over 2 seconds of silence feels a bit long befor the actual text starts

> at 1:23: (p. 430): “of uninhabitable mountains” – you say “inhabitable”, which is quite the opposite ;)

for Section 126: I loved this section, because it reminded me of my holidays on the Algarve, where I actually visited the place in Sagres. Beautiful trip and very impressive to be standing on this rock looking out onto the Atlantic. :9:

> at 4:01: (p. 586): “the Madeiras and Canaries” – I hear “madrice”, it’s the Ma-dey-ras Islands”

Thank you !

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

adr6090 wrote: December 13th, 2018, 4:38 pmhttps://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume05_085_tappan_128kb.mp3 time 34:41
Here is the 20 page section, whew.... :clap: Please do let me know of any corrections that I need to make and I do think there will be some.

wow first of all, kudos for tackling such a lengthy section. Are you aware this was the longest chapter of this book ? :thumbs: Listening to the sensless mass slaughter in this battle I felt almost sick. What a waste of life. :( But you presented the text quite lively and I did feel in the thick of action sometimes, especially near the end when you sped up the pace.

I do have some corrections to note. Considering the huge length of the text, it's actually not many errors.
In fact the main part of my notes is only one single word :lol: "cavalry", which you pronounced "calvary" six times ;) Unfortunately this was a popular word in this text :? At 13:15 you start to pronounce it correctly for a while, but fall back again into error some times later. I noted down all the places where I hear it wrong. Now my ears may have played tricks on me, so please listen once more to these parts and if you find it's wrong as well, then maybe you could correct those sentences.

> at 0:44: (p. 366): “he saw the plateau of Mont St.-Jean” – optional if you want to read it with a nasal “an” in French. At the end of this subchapter, at 2:45 and all through the rest of the section you actually read the name totally correctly

> at 4:15: (p. 368): “all this cavalry”

> at 5:27: (p. 368): “by the heavy cavalry”

> at 7:21: (p. 370): “all this cavalry”

> at 16:21: (p. 374): “left the cavalry”

> at 21:53: (p. 378): “Wellington’s cavalry was exhausted”

> at 26:10: (p. 380): “Ziethen’s cavalry led by Blücher in person”

> at 28:17: (p. 381): Footnote – Save yourselves – End of Footnote” – can you cut out the number “One” here, please, no need to say a number for the footnotes
The last line in this section ended with a comma. Seems as though there should be something following that, not blank pages and than the next section. :hmm:
> at 34:29: (p. 385): after “to say or to do, “ – indeed, your feeling was correct, April, there is half a page still missing. The text is interupted by the painting for some reason and continues after the painting, starting with “feeling a terrible presence in the darkness.” Here is the link to this page: https://archive.org/details/worldsstoryhisto05tapp/page/n473

> at the end you leave over 7 seconds of silence, please also cut down to standard 5

Thank you

Sonia