[FORTNIGHTLY POEM] The Rubinstein Staccato Etude

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
aradlaw
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by aradlaw » October 7th, 2018, 11:52 am

Canada basically celebrates the harvest and other blessings of the past year. I do like the idea of cornbread stuffing, it is hard to get good cornbread up here. :)
diffen.com wrote:English explorer Martin Frobisher hosted the first Canadian Thanksgiving. It was held in what is now Newfoundland during his expedition's attempts to find the Northwest Passage to the Orient in 1578 and marked their safe arrival to the New World. So it was not hosted to celebrate a bountiful harvest. With time, French, Scottish and German immigrants to Canada added some of their traditions to the harvest festival. American traditions like the turkey were added by the United Empire Loyalists around the time of the American Revolution.
David Lawrence

* Weekly & Fortnightly Poetry - Check out the Short Works forum for the latest projects!
* New sections opened up in Flatland by Edwin A. Abbott

GregGiordano

Post by GregGiordano » October 8th, 2018, 7:26 pm

Here is my contribution to this project:

https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/etude_dett_gg_128kb.mp3

Run time is 1:40

Take care,

Greg

bluechien

Post by bluechien » October 8th, 2018, 10:20 pm

Eva D
I heard the beat of centaur's hoofs over the hard turf
As his dry and passionate talk devoured the afternoon.

aradlaw
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by aradlaw » October 10th, 2018, 8:31 am

David Lawrence

* Weekly & Fortnightly Poetry - Check out the Short Works forum for the latest projects!
* New sections opened up in Flatland by Edwin A. Abbott

silverquill

Post by silverquill » October 10th, 2018, 10:43 am

Not sure I got the rhythm right on this one, but here goes:

https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/etude_dett_lcw_128kb.mp3 1:18

Foon

Post by Foon » October 11th, 2018, 3:34 am

Foon - Please correct my pronunciation!

Readers needed:
Biscuits and Bills (One-Act Comedy)
Arabian Nights (Vol. 9)

brucek

Post by brucek » October 11th, 2018, 7:00 am

Aurochs

Post by Aurochs » October 11th, 2018, 11:30 am

This is my attempt, coming in at 1:08.
This is my first recording so would really appreciate any feedback! Particularly; is the volume ok? I feel lke it may be on the quiet side.
https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/etude_dett_eib_128kb.mp3

It is a fantastic poem though, really enjoyed it.
-Ed
-Accent: Vaguely Yorkshire

msfry

Post by msfry » October 12th, 2018, 9:22 am

aradlaw wrote:
October 7th, 2018, 11:52 am
Canada basically celebrates the harvest and other blessings of the past year. I do like the idea of cornbread stuffing, it is hard to get good cornbread up here. :)
In recording the ongoing Key To Uncle Tom's Cabin, I found out why we southerners have such great cornbread! The slaves were fed "a peck of dried corn a week" apiece. And that was all they got besides an occasional slab of bacon fat, or a boiled cows head! They had to get creative with how to prepare their ground corn . . . . into cone pone, corn cakes, corn grits, polenta, and with an occasional egg and milk, corn bread. Field hands were worked 14 hours per day, with only one evening meal, and their life expectancy was a mere 7 years. I give thanks every day that nightmare is over with!
Michele Fry, CC
My Projects
"Knowing that a tomato is actually a fruit is Knowledge. Wisdom is not putting one in a fruit salad."

msfry

Post by msfry » October 12th, 2018, 9:55 am

Aurochs wrote:
October 11th, 2018, 11:30 am
This is my attempt, coming in at 1:08.
This is my first recording so would really appreciate any feedback! Particularly; is the volume ok? I feel lke it may be on the quiet side.
https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/etude_dett_eib_128kb.mp3

It is a fantastic poem though, really enjoyed it.
Your reading is very good, Ed. I can tell you enjoyed it. It is PL OK, except your volume does indeed check out (on our Checker program) at 79.6, far below our recommended volume. This can be corrected in Audacity by going Effects/Amplify/+9.5. (LV's optimum volume is 89). Please amplify and resubmit your recording, and let me know you've done that. It's best to let the people over at the 1-minute test know what software and hardware you are using, and they can advise you how best to set up your equipment for more volume, gain, etc.

Also, as this is your first recording, I will need you to choose a Catalog Name that you want to appear in our Catalog of completed projects. This can be your Real Name, your username, or anything else you'd like to be searchable by. I use Michele Fry in the catalog so my friends and family can easily find me using LV's Search feature, and msfry as my username. It's your choice, but once chosen, can't be changed on catalogued material.
Michele Fry, CC
My Projects
"Knowing that a tomato is actually a fruit is Knowledge. Wisdom is not putting one in a fruit salad."

msfry

Post by msfry » October 13th, 2018, 9:03 am

Greg, Ed, David, Larry, Foon, and Bruce, thank you all for your lovely renditions. All so different, all PL OK. :thumbs:
Michele Fry, CC
My Projects

GregGiordano

Post by GregGiordano » October 13th, 2018, 2:04 pm

msfry wrote:
October 13th, 2018, 9:03 am
Greg, Ed, David, Larry, Foon, and Bruce, thank you all for your lovely renditions. All so different, all PL OK. :thumbs:
Thank you for the kind words!

msfry

Post by msfry » October 13th, 2018, 3:47 pm

Eva, I meant to include you my above message, but typed Ed. Sorry. You are PL OK.
Michele Fry, CC
My Projects

williamjones

Post by williamjones » October 14th, 2018, 5:55 pm

Bill Jones, Fabled of Story and Song, CC
Sometimes there is no Right or Wrong,
just Regular and Extra Crispy.

msfry

Post by msfry » October 14th, 2018, 8:20 pm

Thanks, Bill. You are PL OK.
Michele Fry, CC
My Projects