COMPLETE [Humor/Essays] Select Conversations with an Uncle (Now Extinct) and Two Other Reminiscences, by H.G. Wells - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Foon

Post by Foon »

Greg:
Section 10 is PL OK! Nice job :thumbs:
Foon - Real life is getting in the way of LV, will be slow until all is back on track, please bear with me!

Readers needed:
Dramatic Reading: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Folklore/legends: Arabian Nights Vol. 11
Play: Zeus the Tragedian
timurk

Post by timurk »

Thank you, Foon!
My real name is Timur Khamzin. Can't think of a reason to invent another one. If there's a reason why people do it, I'd like to know it :) Until then, you can use my real name.
We can do it all and more.
Foon

Post by Foon »

timurk wrote: August 11th, 2018, 5:54 am Thank you, Foon!
My real name is Timur Khamzin. Can't think of a reason to invent another one. If there's a reason why people do it, I'd like to know it :) Until then, you can use my real name.
Many people use their real names, or a variation on it (like "John S." instead of "John Smith" for example). I myself for example use my screen name Foon, because I prefer if people Google my name for professional reasons, they just find my work instead of recordings. It's all just personal preference. :)

So, I'll sign you up as Timur Khamzin then? :)
Foon - Real life is getting in the way of LV, will be slow until all is back on track, please bear with me!

Readers needed:
timurk

Post by timurk »

Foon wrote: August 11th, 2018, 6:12 am
timurk wrote: August 11th, 2018, 5:54 am Thank you, Foon!
Many people use their real names, or a variation on it (like "John S." instead of "John Smith" for example). I myself for example use my screen name Foon, because I prefer if people Google my name for professional reasons, they just find my work instead of recordings. It's all just personal preference. :)

So, I'll sign you up as Timur Khamzin then? :)
I'll go with my real name, since I'm not too popular on Google ;) Also, you may include a link to my group page: Timur Khamzin, vk.com/tyumenenglish
Foon

Post by Foon »

Alright, you're all signed up!

Your personal catalog page is here: https://librivox.org/reader/12694

Have fun recording, and let me know if you have any questions! :D

Readers needed:
timurk

Post by timurk »

timurk

Post by timurk »

timurk wrote: August 11th, 2018, 10:20 pm Thank you, Foon!
Here is the link to the result:
https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/selectconversations_08_wells_128kb.mp3
What's next? I can't see the link to the file I uploaded in the magic window. Have I done everything right? How long a wait for PL to be done? Is there anything else I should if I get past PL?
Foon

Post by Foon »

Hi Timur,
No worries, I (as the book coordinator) will put the link in the MW, that doesn't happen automatically. Only thing you're missing is the duration of your recording in mm:ss, because we need that for validation.

PL usually is a few days, but I'll try to be quick and get yours done today. :)

Readers needed:
timurk

Post by timurk »

Foon wrote: August 12th, 2018, 2:40 am Hi Timur,
No worries, I (as the book coordinator) will put the link in the MW, that doesn't happen automatically. Only thing you're missing is the duration of your recording in mm:ss, because we need that for validation.

PL usually is a few days, but I'll try to be quick and get yours done today. :)
Ok, thanks! The duration is 14:02.
Foon

Post by Foon »

Timur,

A very nice first recording! You did a great job.

PL notes:
- At 8:27, there is a repeat of "Now it is tinkling in a grey Moravian school"
- The volume of your recording is rather low, checking in at 84.1dB. The accepted range at LV is 86-92dB. If you amplify the whole recording by about 5dB, you'd be right at the sweet spot of 89dB. Let me know if you need help with that.
For future recordings, try to see if you can place the mic closer to your mouth to increase your input volume. :)

Cheers,
Foon

Readers needed:
GregGiordano

Post by GregGiordano »

Here is Section 9 -

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/selectconversations_09_wells_128kb.mp3

Run time is 11:36

Take care,

Greg
grs2905

Post by grs2905 »

Foon

Post by Foon »

Thanks Greg and Graham, you're both in for PL :)

Readers needed:
timurk

Post by timurk »

Foon wrote: August 12th, 2018, 6:36 am
Timur,

A very nice first recording! You did a great job.

PL notes:
- At 8:27, there is a repeat of "Now it is tinkling in a grey Moravian school"
- The volume of your recording is rather low, checking in at 84.1dB. The accepted range at LV is 86-92dB. If you amplify the whole recording by about 5dB, you'd be right at the sweet spot of 89dB. Let me know if you need help with that.
For future recordings, try to see if you can place the mic closer to your mouth to increase your input volume. :)

Cheers,
Foon
Thank you, Foon, I'm very pleased to hear it ). I installed ReplayGain to measure the volume, and quite strangely it reported the ReplayGain level to be -1.2db. I'm at a loss to understand this number, since it's so small and negative, while I expected to see 84.1 db. Anyway, I amplified it, allowing to overload the volume (i had no better idea, otherwise I'd have to put in some number which I don't know).

I've reuploaded the file to https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/selectconversations_08_wells_128kb.mp3.

Let me know if it's okay now.
Foon

Post by Foon »

Hi Timur,

You've amplified it now by about 11dB, putting it at 95.1dB which is too loud.
If you still have the previous version, you can amplify that by 5dB (the number you put it in the box), making it go from 84dB, +5, to 89dB.
Otherwise, you can take this version, and de-amplify it with 6dB (put -6 in the box), as 95 -6 = 89dB.

You can also download Checker, a simple program many of us use, which checks a bunch of recording parameters for you. That way you are always sure before uploading that the volume (among other things) is correct. Information can be found here: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Checker

Foon

Readers needed: