COMPLETE [Humor/Essays] Select Conversations with an Uncle (Now Extinct) and Two Other Reminiscences, by H.G. Wells - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

ReplayGain tells you how much to amplify your file, not its volume. So if it said -1.4 dB, that means you're to decrease the volume by 1.4 dB to get it to "ideal." (Personally, if it's -1.4, I leave it alone. Being a dB or two over is no big deal, and I find that ReplayGain tends to underestimate "ideal" by a little bit, anyway.)
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
timurk

Post by timurk »

Foon wrote: August 13th, 2018, 3:08 am Hi Timur,

You've amplified it now by about 11dB, putting it at 95.1dB which is too loud.
If you still have the previous version, you can amplify that by 5dB (the number you put it in the box), making it go from 84dB, +5, to 89dB.
Otherwise, you can take this version, and de-amplify it with 6dB (put -6 in the box), as 95 -6 = 89dB.

You can also download Checker, a simple program many of us use, which checks a bunch of recording parameters for you. That way you are always sure before uploading that the volume (among other things) is correct. Information can be found here: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Checker

Foon
I've installed Checker and made it happy by trial and error. There must be a difference in how different pieces of software measure volume, since it only allowed me to up the volume by 1db in Audacity, after wich operation I suddenly propped the upper limit of the allowed range. Anyway, here is the link, and the duration has shortened now to 13:57 https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/selectconversations_08_wells_128kb.mp3
We can do it all and more.
Foon

Post by Foon »

timurk wrote: August 13th, 2018, 6:07 am

If you still have the previous version, you can amplify that by 5dB (the number you put it in the box), making it go from 84dB, +5, to 89dB.
Otherwise, you can take this version, and de-amplify it with 6dB (put -6 in the box), as 95 -6 = 89dB.

You can also download Checker, a simple program many of us use, which checks a bunch of recording parameters for you. That way you are always sure before uploading that the volume (among other things) is correct. Information can be found here: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Checker

Foon
I've installed Checker and made it happy by trial and error. There must be a difference in how different pieces of software measure volume, since it only allowed me to up the volume by 1db in Audacity, after wich operation I suddenly propped the upper limit of the allowed range. Anyway, here is the link, and the duration has shortened now to 13:57 https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/selectconversations_08_wells_128kb.mp3
It is now PL OK :thumbs: Well done, and congrats on completing your first Librivox recording! :clap:
Foon - Real life is getting in the way of LV, will be slow until all is back on track, please bear with me!

Readers needed:
Dramatic Reading: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Folklore/legends: Arabian Nights Vol. 11
Play: Zeus the Tragedian
Foon

Post by Foon »

Sections 5 and 9 are PL OK, thanks guys :thumbs:
Foon - Real life is getting in the way of LV, will be slow until all is back on track, please bear with me!

Readers needed:
timurk

Post by timurk »

Foon wrote: August 13th, 2018, 11:36 am
timurk wrote: August 13th, 2018, 6:07 am

Foon
It is now PL OK :thumbs: Well done, and congrats on completing your first Librivox recording! :clap:
Thank you, Foon! What's going to happen next? How do I know the book's been published and where do I get a link to it (I'd like to share my recording with friends)?
Foon

Post by Foon »

Once all the sections have been recorded and PL'ed, Tricia--as the Meta Coordinator--will get to work on cataloguing everything. Once that's done, she will post in this thread that all is complete, and with a direct link to the catalog page.

Since people have different recording turnovers, you never really know beforehand how long it will take. So in the mean time, I'd suggest finding something else to record and keeping going!
Only thing that you can be sure of being fast are the weekly and fortnightly poetry collections. Why not participate in one of those next? ;)
Last edited by Foon on August 14th, 2018, 7:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

Readers needed:
timurk

Post by timurk »

Ok, I'll find something :)
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai
Foon

Post by Foon »

Thank you!

Readers needed:
Foon

Post by Foon »

Section 11 PL OK

Section 12 PL notes:
1:29 repeat "He waved his hand towards"
4:06 repeat "There isn't a why ... for any of it"

Readers needed:
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

I see only two sections left to turn in, so here is number 14:

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/selectconversations_14_wells_128kb.mp3 11:00
~ Larry
Foon

Post by Foon »

silverquill wrote: August 23rd, 2018, 7:57 am I see only two sections left to turn in, so here is number 14:

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/selectconversations_14_wells_128kb.mp3 11:00
Thanks Larry!

Readers needed:
Foon

Post by Foon »

Larry,
Section 14 is PL OK! :thumbs:

Readers needed:
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Here is the edit of section 12:

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/selectconversations_12_wells_128kb.mp3

Time is now 08:10
Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai
Foon

Post by Foon »

Thank you! You're in for spot PL :)

Readers needed: