Complete Coffee Break Collection 017 - Health and Fitness - lt

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ColleenMc
Posts: 481
Joined: April 9th, 2017, 5:57 pm

Post by ColleenMc » September 9th, 2018, 11:48 am

Actually this one might be a better choice, since it is more vague in terms of "solitary vice" and "self abuse"...

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/28458/28458-h/28458-h.htm#CHAPTER_XIX

It has a great conclusion:

"The victim of self-abuse has, through the frequent repetition of the habit, built up an undue amount of brain that is sensitive to local irritation of the sex-organs or to mental pictures of sex-pleasure. She must now allow this part of the brain to become quiescent, and she should go to work to build up other brain centers. Let her train her sight by close observation of form, color, size, location. Let her cultivate her sense of hearing in the study of different qualities of sound, tone, pitch, intensity, duration, timbre; her sense of touch, by learning to judge with closed eyes of different materials, of quality of fiber, of the different degrees of temperature, of roughness or smoothness, of density; in fact, let her endeavor to become alert, observant, along all the lines of sense-perception. Let her study nature, leaf-forms, cloud-shapes, insects, flowers, birds, bird-songs, the causes of natural phenomena; and, above all, let her keep out of the realm of the artificial, the sentimental, the emotional, and, holding firmly to the thought that creative energy is symbolized by desire and can be dignified and consecrated to noblest purposes, she will find herself daily growing into a stronger, more beautiful self-control."

Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 14481
Joined: September 16th, 2012, 7:07 pm
Location: In the desert

Post by Lynnet » September 9th, 2018, 1:30 pm

ColleenMc wrote:
September 9th, 2018, 11:48 am
Actually this one might be a better choice, since it is more vague in terms of "solitary vice" and "self abuse"...

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/28458/28458-h/28458-h.htm#CHAPTER_XIX

It has a great conclusion:

"The victim of self-abuse has, through the frequent repetition of the habit, built up an undue amount of brain that is sensitive to local irritation of the sex-organs or to mental pictures of sex-pleasure. She must now allow this part of the brain to become quiescent, and she should go to work to build up other brain centers. Let her train her sight by close observation of form, color, size, location. Let her cultivate her sense of hearing in the study of different qualities of sound, tone, pitch, intensity, duration, timbre; her sense of touch, by learning to judge with closed eyes of different materials, of quality of fiber, of the different degrees of temperature, of roughness or smoothness, of density; in fact, let her endeavor to become alert, observant, along all the lines of sense-perception. Let her study nature, leaf-forms, cloud-shapes, insects, flowers, birds, bird-songs, the causes of natural phenomena; and, above all, let her keep out of the realm of the artificial, the sentimental, the emotional, and, holding firmly to the thought that creative energy is symbolized by desire and can be dignified and consecrated to noblest purposes, she will find herself daily growing into a stronger, more beautiful self-control."
I am seeking advice...
Help us finish:

The Chinese Kitten 7 sections remaining
Passages from the Life of a Philosopher by Charles Babbage 33 sections remaining

HeartsandStars
Posts: 89
Joined: May 8th, 2013, 6:11 pm

Post by HeartsandStars » September 22nd, 2018, 4:26 pm

Effect of Thought on Health and the Body, by James Allen (1864-1912), from his book As A Man Thinketh

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/cb017_effectthought_ak_128kb.mp3

Run time is 5:25

https://archive.org/details/asmanthinketh00alleiala

Thank you!
Andrea

Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 14481
Joined: September 16th, 2012, 7:07 pm
Location: In the desert

Post by Lynnet » September 22nd, 2018, 4:27 pm

HeartsandStars wrote:
September 22nd, 2018, 4:26 pm
Effect of Thought on Health and the Body, by James Allen (1864-1912), from his book As A Man Thinketh

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/cb017_effectthought_ak_128kb.mp3

Run time is 5:25

https://archive.org/details/asmanthinketh00alleiala

Thank you!
Andrea
Thank you
Help us finish:

The Chinese Kitten 7 sections remaining
Passages from the Life of a Philosopher by Charles Babbage 33 sections remaining

HeartsandStars
Posts: 89
Joined: May 8th, 2013, 6:11 pm

Post by HeartsandStars » September 22nd, 2018, 6:54 pm

Lynne, would it be possible for me to re-upload my recording with a slight change? When I recorded it a few days ago, I used copy that I found on Project Gutenberg. One of the sentences said, “If you would protect your body, guard your mind.” But today before I went to upload it, I followed along with a version of the book on Internet Archive that said, “If you would perfect your body, guard your mind.” I thought oh no, I read it wrong, so I re-recorded that one sentence. But I’ve noticed that some sources of the book use protect and some use perfect. I think they may have changed it in later versions of it. Anyway, I just like the way protect sounds better than perfect. It makes more sense to me. So can I redo that sentence again and re-upload it?

Thanks,
Andrea
:)

Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 14481
Joined: September 16th, 2012, 7:07 pm
Location: In the desert

Post by Lynnet » September 22nd, 2018, 10:09 pm

HeartsandStars wrote:
September 22nd, 2018, 6:54 pm
Lynne, would it be possible for me to re-upload my recording with a slight change? When I recorded it a few days ago, I used copy that I found on Project Gutenberg. One of the sentences said, “If you would protect your body, guard your mind.” But today before I went to upload it, I followed along with a version of the book on Internet Archive that said, “If you would perfect your body, guard your mind.” I thought oh no, I read it wrong, so I re-recorded that one sentence. But I’ve noticed that some sources of the book use protect and some use perfect. I think they may have changed it in later versions of it. Anyway, I just like the way protect sounds better than perfect. It makes more sense to me. So can I redo that sentence again and re-upload it?

Thanks,
Andrea
:)
Go ahead. I haven't PL'd it yet (our DPL has had to take a hiatus due to health issues). Let me know when you've done it.
Help us finish:

The Chinese Kitten 7 sections remaining
Passages from the Life of a Philosopher by Charles Babbage 33 sections remaining

HeartsandStars
Posts: 89
Joined: May 8th, 2013, 6:11 pm

Post by HeartsandStars » September 23rd, 2018, 9:47 am

Here we go with my revised recording:

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/cb017_effectthought_ak_128kb.mp3

Still 5:25

And the original text:

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/4507/4507-h/4507-h.htm#health

Thanks again Lynne,
Andrea

Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 14481
Joined: September 16th, 2012, 7:07 pm
Location: In the desert

Post by Lynnet » September 23rd, 2018, 10:38 am

HeartsandStars wrote:
September 23rd, 2018, 9:47 am
Here we go with my revised recording:

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/cb017_effectthought_ak_128kb.mp3

Still 5:25

And the original text:

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/4507/4507-h/4507-h.htm#health

Thanks again Lynne,
Andrea
Thank you
Help us finish:

The Chinese Kitten 7 sections remaining
Passages from the Life of a Philosopher by Charles Babbage 33 sections remaining

Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 14481
Joined: September 16th, 2012, 7:07 pm
Location: In the desert

Post by Lynnet » September 24th, 2018, 1:17 pm

Effect of Thought... PL OK. Very well read.
Help us finish:

The Chinese Kitten 7 sections remaining
Passages from the Life of a Philosopher by Charles Babbage 33 sections remaining

k5hsj
Posts: 577
Joined: August 17th, 2010, 12:02 am
Location: Point Richmond, CA

Post by k5hsj » October 11th, 2018, 11:28 pm

Hi Lynne,

Here's my contribution in memory of my mother, Ruth Heneberger Tharp (1917-2009), who never failed to crack me up when she read Jerome's Three Men in a Boat to me when I was young. :lol:

“A victim to one hundred and seven fatal maladies” from Three Men in a Boat by Jerome K. Jerome (1859-1927)
Text: http://www.gutenberg.org/files/308/308-h/308-h.htm (text starts at fourth paragraph of Chapter One)
Duration: 6:45
MP3: https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/cb017_victimfatalmaladies_wt_128kb.mp3

Hope your PC woes are brief!

Winston
Be kind. Be interesting. Be useful. Morality ain't hard.--Jack Butler, Living in Little Rock with Miss Little Rock

Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 14481
Joined: September 16th, 2012, 7:07 pm
Location: In the desert

Post by Lynnet » October 12th, 2018, 1:40 am

k5hsj wrote:
October 11th, 2018, 11:28 pm
Hi Lynne,

Here's my contribution in memory of my mother, Ruth Heneberger Tharp (1917-2009), who never failed to crack me up when she read Jerome's Three Men in a Boat to me when I was young. :lol:

“A victim to one hundred and seven fatal maladies” from Three Men in a Boat by Jerome K. Jerome (1859-1927)
Text: http://www.gutenberg.org/files/308/308-h/308-h.htm (text starts at fourth paragraph of Chapter One)
Duration: 6:45
MP3: https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/cb017_victimfatalmaladies_wt_128kb.mp3

Hope your PC woes are brief!

Winston
Thank you. Sounds like you have some good memories.
It will be Monday before I can listen, I expect.
Help us finish:

The Chinese Kitten 7 sections remaining
Passages from the Life of a Philosopher by Charles Babbage 33 sections remaining

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 13815
Joined: March 28th, 2014, 5:57 am

Post by Kitty » October 29th, 2018, 7:32 am

Hi Lynne,

I think this short article may be fitting into this collection. It's about the diet of children, and is taken from this woman's health guide by Amelia Young, who seems to have done a lot to inform women about their body and health.

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/cb017_dietofchildren_ss_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 7:30 min.
Title: The diet of children
from: Madame Young's Guide to Health, by Amelia Young (sorry, I haven't found any dates for her)
Link to text: http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/53875

Sonia
Offline over the weekend (17.-18.11.) Apologies for any delays.

Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 14481
Joined: September 16th, 2012, 7:07 pm
Location: In the desert

Post by Lynnet » October 30th, 2018, 6:32 am

Kitty wrote:
October 29th, 2018, 7:32 am
Hi Lynne,

I think this short article may be fitting into this collection. It's about the diet of children, and is taken from this woman's health guide by Amelia Young, who seems to have done a lot to inform women about their body and health.

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/cb017_dietofchildren_ss_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 7:30 min.
Title: The diet of children
from: Madame Young's Guide to Health, by Amelia Young (sorry, I haven't found any dates for her)
Link to text: http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/53875

Sonia
Thank you
Help us finish:

The Chinese Kitten 7 sections remaining
Passages from the Life of a Philosopher by Charles Babbage 33 sections remaining

Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 14481
Joined: September 16th, 2012, 7:07 pm
Location: In the desert

Post by Lynnet » October 30th, 2018, 6:42 am

This collection is now closed.
Help us finish:

The Chinese Kitten 7 sections remaining
Passages from the Life of a Philosopher by Charles Babbage 33 sections remaining

PatrickLondon
Posts: 262
Joined: July 10th, 2011, 2:20 am
Location: London, UK
Contact:

Post by PatrickLondon » October 30th, 2018, 8:34 am

Oops didn't check the last post rather than the MW. Please ignore my upload, I'll keep it for another time.
"Too literate to be spam" - another forum moderator on one of my posts! | http://www.autolycus-london.blogspot.com

Post Reply