[COMPLETE][FULL] World's Story 3: Egypt, Africa, Arabia - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

Hey, Sonia. Thanks for the listens, always so quick! I enjoyed this selection, but agree with you that it is also sad. (I will correct my error this evening.) Jim :)
dlantz

Post by dlantz »

First ever post (except of the 1-minute test): Section 34. All corrections gratefully accepted. dlantz

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume03_034_tappan_128kb.mp3

duration 18.33 minutes, file size 17.8 MB
adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

April
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

dlantz wrote: July 16th, 2018, 1:29 pm First ever post (except of the 1-minute test): Section 34. All corrections gratefully accepted. dlantz
duration 18.33 minutes, file size 17.8 MB
wonderful job, Dave :clap: Congratulations to your first official recording and it was such a pleasure to listen to your narrative. :9: Although the killing of the kittens was quite a sad section for me to listen to :(

But you reading was excellent, very entertaining, especially when you read in character for the Sybarite's speech :thumbs: I loved the changing of your voice there, which l leads me to believe that you would love to participate in our drama section as well. Maybe one day I will be your DPL there (I'm quite active there myself).

No errors at all, you made all the intro/outro and the lengthy footnote entirely correct. A brilliant start, all in all. I can only give you a PL ok and hope to hear more from you soon. For a first section, this was quite a long chapter already, so it's doubly laudable.

If I had to mention anything, it's that your background hum could have been a bit reduced. Are you using Audacity ? Their noise-cleaning function is quite good. I used the slot between 0:35 and 0:36 as sample and reduced the noise before listening to the text and it was more agreeable to my ears. It's optional though, as it's not that disturbing, so unless you want to clean and reupload, your section is in any case PL ok.

Thank you so much and I hope you liked the process of recording. :)

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

wonderful, April ! I'm being spoiled here today with great texts :9: This was really one of the longest sections of the book so I applaud you to your PL ok. Flawlessly read, all of it :thumbs:

Only the file name is a bit wrong, there is a surplus 's' at "kbp" at the end. But I can change that in my folder, no need to reupload, I make a note to myself in the MW.

I was intrigued by the dimensions of the Kimberley mine so I looked it up and here you can see an image from above. It really looks like a bottomless pit :shock: Nowadays it seems to be a crater river:
https://sciencesummit.wordpress.com/2011/06/17/kimberly-diamond-mine/

Thanks for this interesting section :)

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

neecheelok70 wrote: July 16th, 2018, 6:47 pm Here is the corrected 31:
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume03_031_tappan_128kb.mp3 23.11 KB
thank you, Jim, this one is also PL ok now :)

Three more sections finished today :9:

Sonia
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

Thanks and good news. Did you hear about the current tomb discovery in Egypt? Jim 8-)
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

neecheelok70 wrote: July 17th, 2018, 4:18 amThanks and good news. Did you hear about the current tomb discovery in Egypt? Jim 8-)
no I didn't :shock: gonna check it out now. I bet there is plenty of interesting things buried deep out of sight still. But maybe it is a good thing we don't find everything.

Sonia
dlantz

Post by dlantz »

Kitty wrote: July 17th, 2018, 12:34 am If I had to mention anything, it's that your background hum could have been a bit reduced. Are you using Audacity ? Their noise-cleaning function is quite good.
Thanks, Sonia, for your kind words. I do use Audacity, so I'm not sure why it wasn't better. But I ran it through noise reduction and uploaded it again:

Still 18.33 minutes, 17.8 MB.

We have cats, so the death of the kittens hurt me, too, but if he had at least 24 (by the arithmetic in the story), and twelve more to come, I could see why he wanted to reduce the population. It's too bad the only way to do that was felinicide (if that's a word).

My last year of teaching before retirement starts shortly, but I may submit a few more readings before the end of summer. Thanks again. Dave
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

dlantz wrote: July 17th, 2018, 6:56 amI do use Audacity, so I'm not sure why it wasn't better. But I ran it through noise reduction and uploaded it again:
hm so you ran it through noise-cleaning already before ? May I ask what parametres (numbers) you have your noise-cleaning set to ? I have noise reduction: 12 / sensitivity: 6 / frequency smoothing bands: 0. Be careful not to set it to too agressive cleaning. Two rounds of lighter cleaning often is better than one round of aggressive cleaning, I found.

In any case, your section is PL ok :)
My last year of teaching before retirement starts shortly, but I may submit a few more readings before the end of summer.

how cool, in a few months you will have plenty of time for your new-found hobby :) By then we'll probably be at Book 5 or 6 in this series already if all goes well. I am counting on seeing you back again then (if not even earlier) ;)

Sonia
adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

Kitty wrote: July 17th, 2018, 1:15 am
wonderful, April ! I'm being spoiled here today with great texts :9: This was really one of the longest sections of the book so I applaud you to your PL ok. Flawlessly read, all of it :thumbs:

Only the file name is a bit wrong, there is a surplus 's' at "kbp" at the end. But I can change that in my folder, no need to reupload, I make a note to myself in the MW.

I was intrigued by the dimensions of the Kimberley mine so I looked it up and here you can see an image from above. It really looks like a bottomless pit :shock: Nowadays it's seems to be a crater river:
https://sciencesummit.wordpress.com/2011/06/17/kimberly-diamond-mine/

Thanks for this interesting section :)

Sonia
Thank you Sonia.
The photo does seem to personalize the text .
April
dlantz

Post by dlantz »

Kitty wrote: July 17th, 2018, 9:20 am hm so you ran it through noise-cleaning already before ? May I ask what parametres (numbers) you have your noise-cleaning set to ? I have noise reduction: 12 / sensitivity: 6 / frequency smoothing bands: 0. Be careful not to set it to too agressive cleaning. Two rounds of lighter cleaning often is better than one round of aggressive cleaning, I found.
I don't know what parameters I used, but I will try your figures and your suggestions next time. And on the subject of next time, may I claim Section 48: Aeneas at Carthage? I haven't looked at it yet, but the title sounds interesting. Thanks for your consideration (and suggestions). Dave
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

dlantz wrote: July 17th, 2018, 6:28 pmAnd on the subject of next time, may I claim Section 48: Aeneas at Carthage? I haven't looked at it yet, but the title sounds interesting.
thank you, Dave, of course you can have this section. It's actually not a prose text but a poem by Virgil. If you like poetry, this will be a treat for you. :9:

Sonia
dlantz

Post by dlantz »

Thanks for the quick, positive response to my request for "Aeneas at Carthage". I see that the last page of the poem is printed after the painting "Aeneas at the Court of Dido", without a page number (which made it jolly fun to print out, but I think I've got it all). The painting has been assigned to someone else, so I know I don't mess with that. How are the editor's notes read aloud? Like footnotes: "Editor's note: ... The Editor. End of Editor's note"? Thanks again. Dave