COMPLETE [Group-Christianity] Heart Talks on Holiness by S.L. Brengle - dl

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
pattymarie

Post by pattymarie »

Just saw section 3 and am downloading it. It may be the end of the week before I get back to report on it this time.
Pattymarie
pattymarie

Post by pattymarie »

Section 3 is PL OK. Thank you, Scott.
Pattymarie
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Section 3 also sounds fine to me - honestly, instead of re-recording a chapter which is actually OK, I strongly suggest keeping moving forward and recording something new. No recording is ever "perfect" and a month from now you will discover another new setting or style that improves your recording further. It isn't possible to keep going back and re-recording all the previous chapters in search of "the perfect" recording. Don't let the perfect become the enemy of the good! There's 21 more chapters in this project alone - record one of those! :mrgreen:
aradlaw
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by aradlaw »

HI Scott, the project MC here. I noticed this discussion in passing and have listened to both sections, 2 and 3. I must agree with Beth, there is virtually no difference in the two readings, both are well read and quite listenable.
I know from experience the self-criticizing that happens at times as one improves recording abilities, if you feel your new method is better, then carry on from there with recording, but as Beth has stated, there really is no need to re-record and have the new reading PLed again. :wink:
David Lawrence

* Weekly & Fortnightly Poetry - Check out the Short Works forum for the latest projects!
BeksG79

Post by BeksG79 »

Hi!

I have now got all the equipment I need and have done my 1 minute test.

I would like to take Chapter 5 if that's OK.

Thanks
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

That would be great! All the instructions you need should be in the first post, but please ask if you get stuck.

Also, what name do you want in the catalogue? That's the one for when you read "Chapter 5 read by..."
BeksG79

Post by BeksG79 »

Oops sorry, catalogue name will be Rebekah Glanvill.

Will get reading on my next day off :D
ssparkuhl

Post by ssparkuhl »

Sorry for the delay in recording and lack of an update. My work schedule picked up, but I'm back to normal now. I'll record Section 04 today and have it in sometime in the next eight hours.
ssparkuhl

Post by ssparkuhl »

Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Great, thanks! This file is now in the MW for checking!
pattymarie

Post by pattymarie »

Section 4 is PL OK. Thank you, Scott.
Pattymarie
BeksG79

Post by BeksG79 »

https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/hearttalks_05_brengle_128kbs.mp3

10:31

Ok here is my first recording and first real use of audacity. I hope it's all ok but if not I promise I won't cry. Please tell me if there is anything I can change/improve on. I'm very conscious of back ground traffic noise, do I need to record somewhere quieter, I thought my place was quiet still I started recording!
pattymarie

Post by pattymarie »

The reading of section 5 is fine, Rebekah (I hope I've spelled that correctly) but it lacks volume. It passed the Librivox Checker with warning that it's below the recommended volume range of 86 to 92 db. It's 72.6 db. I think you could just use the amplify effect to boost the volume and it should be fine. I didn't hear any obtrusive back ground noise. To amplify, you click "Edit", then "Select, Select all" from the drop down menu; then click "Effects" and choose "Amplify" from the drop down menu and the settings it gives you will amplify within the limits allowable without clipping. I hope that will be enough to get it up to at least 86.

Here's the Checker program you can download and use to check the volume yourself. You just drag and drop your mp3 file icon into it. https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Checker

Am I right in thinking I hear a northern British accent? I love the north of England.
Pattymarie
BeksG79

Post by BeksG79 »

https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/hearttalks_05_brengle_128kbs.mp3

Sorry about that. I had to move the mic away as it was causing plosives when it was in front of me, think it needs to come back to me slightly! I've amplified it but it only makes it 85.4, here it is to see what you think, also I think it's caused a clipping around 9.031-9.033s. I'm more than happy to do the recording all again, it's all good practice.

Thanks with your help and advice.

You were right on my name spelling and also the accent, I'm from North Yorkshire :D
pattymarie

Post by pattymarie »

BeksG79 wrote: April 11th, 2018, 9:57 pm https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/hearttalks_05_brengle_128kbs.mp3

Sorry about that. I had to move the mic away as it was causing plosives when it was in front of me, think it needs to come back to me slightly! I've amplified it but it only makes it 85.4, here it is to see what you think, also I think it's caused a clipping around 9.031-9.033s. I'm more than happy to do the recording all again, it's all good practice.
Thank you, Rebekah. The volume is probably all right. Beth should be the final arbiter of that.

There is an unpleasant scraping sound at the 9:03 point which could probably be eliminated by selecting that point and de-amplifying it to eliminate the clipping. You de-amplify by sliding the little pointed indicator in the "Amplfy" effect leftwards into negative numbers. Just slight de-amplifying should do it. Using "Zoom in" from the drop down menu in "View" will help with isolating that point without affecting surrounding sound, though there's no serious harm if a little bit extra gets softened, too.

Too, you might want to check your Recording Volume setting in the upper right hand corner of Audacity. It has a microphone icon and says "Recording Volume" when you mouse over it. I keep mine at 90 as full blast gives me harsh sound.

Here's the guide to some highly useful, easy to follow instructional videos that might cover more than you want to know, but you can pick and choose. https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Instructional_Videos

I'm an American who calls Durham her spiritual home. I'm planning my next vacation to be at Beal close to Lindisfarne and do walks around that country. I'd stay on the island if I could afford it but couldn't find any budget lodgings there.
Pattymarie