COMPLETE: Short Nonfiction Collection, Vol. 055 - jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
soupy

Post by soupy »

The world needs some positive fanaticism.

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaard on Christianity
Kierkegaards Challenge
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

soupy wrote: February 11th, 2018, 9:08 pm Here's a new one by me

Equal Rights in the Lecture-Room
by Charles Sumner 1811-1874

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/45230/45230-h/45230-h.htm#EQUAL_RIGHTS_IN_THE_LECTURE-ROOM

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf055_equalrights_sumner_cc_128kb.mp3

5:08

Craig
Good morning, Craig, Glad to see you back! Your reading of Sumner is PL OK. An eloquent statement of the principal of equal rights, in 1845! :)
soupy

Post by soupy »

Letter to Tramps was well read.

I found one error that you can change or leave along. I marked it PLOK.

4:52 And look through the magnificent plate windows. You read upon instead of through.

Lucy Parsons 1853-1942
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucy_Parsons

The police described her thus: "more dangerous than a thousand rioters".

Craig

I left a few boxes blank in the MW Sue.
The world needs some positive fanaticism.

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaard on Christianity
Kierkegaards Challenge
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

Hi pjtaylor, Thank you for your contribution to volume 55! :) LibriVox did not have anything in the catalog by Lucy Parsons, so your reading is particularly welcome.
pjtaylor

Post by pjtaylor »

Thanks! It was a pleasure to contribute.

Craig: I'm fine with leaving the word substitution as it is. I'm not sure it alters the meaning of the section enough to worry about.

The police weren't wrong about Parsons. Her words still have the power to shock 134 years later. Dangerous indeed.

John
rrobinson84

Post by rrobinson84 »

I'd love to contribute to this collection. I found a book on Project Gutenberg called "My Life and Work" by Henry Ford.

The full text of the book can be found here: https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/7213

I'd like to read just chapter 2, which is a nice piece about what Ford learned about business. It's about 4000 words, so around 30:00 duration.

Moving this over from the Coffee 015 collection as the admin there nixed my suggestion to condense the reading due to length, which I understand.
Robert Robinson
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

Hi Robert, A chapter from Henry Ford's autobiography would be welcome here at the Nonfiction Collection! :) I wonder what he would have thought about self-driving cars...
rrobinson84

Post by rrobinson84 »

Her you go, Sue. Mr. Ford doesn't have anything to say about "self-driving" cars, but he did, in fact, have a few words to say about "electrified automobiles!" As a matter of fact, his job at GE became in direct conflict with his desire to create a production automobile, and he had to give up the one for the other.

His story here, sort of the "synopsis" of the entire book, is a really fascinating one. So is his distaste for what, in the early 1900's, was becoming the 'norm' of business finance models.

It's all here, in his own words, in Chapter 2, "What I Learned About Business" of his book, "My Life and Work" by Henry Ford!

Enjoy! [I hope to win a prize for longest filename!]

Link: https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf055_mylifeandworkch2whatilearnedaboutbusiness_ford_rlr_128kb.mp3
File Duration: 26:54
Robert Robinson
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

Hi Robert, Thanks for this account by Henry Ford of his pioneering days in the automobile business. :) Ford certainly makes some pungent comments: "The most surprising feature of business as it was conducted was the large attention given to finance and the small attention to service... A dissatisfied customer was regarded not as a man whose trust had been violated, but either as a nuisance or as a possible source of more money in fixing up the work which ought to have been done correctly in the first place."

You read very well--like a professional! As to your title, well, I will award you my "Edsel award for longest title thus far submitted to the Nonfiction Collection," but actually, around here, we favor "Pinto" titles (i.e. short titles). For info on file names you can check out #2 in the instructions above. I can shorten your title for you on this end, or you can re-upload the file with a short title, something like "snf055_whatilearned_ford_rr_128kb"

I had an aunt who actually bought an Edsel. As to the Pinto, "the Ford Pinto was a front-engine, rear-drive subcompact car manufactured and marketed by Ford Motor Company for model years 1971–1980, the first subcompact developed by Ford in North America." My now long deceased trusty yellow Pinto was the first car I bought with my own earnings.

Other than the title length, your recording specs look fine. The nonfiction collection has a dedicated proof listener, Soupy (Craig), and he will PL your recording for you. Thank you for contributing to volume 55! :)

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf055_whatilearned_ford_rlr_128kb.mp3
Last edited by Sue Anderson on March 1st, 2018, 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
rrobinson84

Post by rrobinson84 »

Thanks, Sue! Go ahead and shorten the title if you are able. No problems there.

I'm glad you liked the selection. I was never a Pinto man, though my Dad was a die-hard Ford-a-phile. We even had a 1970 powder-blue Maverick. I remember the color because after only about 50K miles, the exhaust blew out the exact same color smoke when it started burning oil!!!

I'm becoming a big fan of Henry Ford's ideas of business. The idea one should 'start small' and only increase based upon the profits that your business can roll back into itself sure does fly in the face of 'cheap venture capital' and other wacky concepts, which clearly have been around at least 100 years! His idea of actually serving his customers is also quite endearing!

Cheers!
Robert Robinson
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

Henry Ford's What I Learned About Business is PL OK! :)
BettyB

Post by BettyB »

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf055_nativeamericans_brown_bbs_128kb.mp3 (25:58)

The Complete Book of Cheese
by Robert Carlson Brown (Bob Brown)
Gutenberg Ebook 14293
Chapter Title: Native Americans
http://www.gutenberg.org/files/14293/14293-h/14293-h.htm

BettyB
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

BettyB wrote: March 3rd, 2018, 2:27 pm
The Complete Book of Cheese
by Robert Carlson Brown (Bob Brown)
Gutenberg Ebook 14293
Chapter Title: Native Americans

BettyB
Ah... as it's said, you shouldn't go grocery shopping with an empty stomach --- I should have eaten supper before I listened to this fascinating chapter on cheese! It made me hungry, particularly for Monterrey Jack, which is one of my favorite cheeses, the "genuine article" not readily available around here. I learned a lot from your recording--I'd never heard of Pineapple or sage cheese among other things. Thanks, Betty, for this informative addition to Volume 55! :) It is PL Ok!