[COMPLETE]Word Portraits of Famous Writers ed. Mabel E. Wotton - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ADKreader1122

Post by ADKreader1122 »

Hi—Please check my post of January 22. There are two links there for completed sections which need to be proofread. There is also a request to be assigned to several more. Please let me know the status of things.
Thanks, Lora L.
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

ADKreader1122 wrote: January 26th, 2018, 3:01 pm Hi—Please check my post of January 22. There are two links there for completed sections which need to be proofread. There is also a request to be assigned to several more. Please let me know the status of things.
Thanks, Lora L.
I'm so sorry! I don't know how I'm missing these . . . . Anyway, thanks for the nudge, and the MW is updated.
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
HZFerr

Post by HZFerr »

PL OK for:

sect 58 Letitia Elizabeth Landon
sect 69 Harriet Martineau

Good job. :clap:
Helen

POW/MIA, we will remember them.
5/4/66 (S.V.) Malone, Jimmy M.
Private U.S. Army, 1st Battalion, 503rd Infantry
HZFerr

Post by HZFerr »

Larry, I resign as DPL for this project (I don't have the knowledge or skills for tech work).
You need to find someone else that will do your technical work & DPL at the same time. :thumbs:
Helen

POW/MIA, we will remember them.
5/4/66 (S.V.) Malone, Jimmy M.
Private U.S. Army, 1st Battalion, 503rd Infantry
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

no worries, Larry, I can take over DPL duties here. I wanted to listen to all these short bios anyway, so I can merge pleasure with work now :9:

I'll change DPLs in the MW.

Sonia
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

HZFerr wrote: January 30th, 2018, 1:32 pm Larry, I resign as DPL for this project (I don't have the knowledge or skills for tech work).
You need to find someone else that will do your technical work & DPL at the same time. :thumbs:
Thanks for letting me know, Helen.
This is perfectly fine. I appreciate the work you've already put into this project.
There is really nothing technical about checking volume and the other specifications using Checker. See my PM, and if you want to give it ago, just let me know.

Thanks again.

And, thank you, Sonia, for picking up DPL duties. :9:
~ Larry
VfkaBT

Post by VfkaBT »

59 Walter Savage Landor
70 Frederick Denison Maurice
84 Sir Walter Raleigh
94 Richard Brinsley Sheridan
:)
My previous LV work: Bellona Times
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

VfkaBT wrote: January 31st, 2018, 4:15 pm 59 Walter Savage Landor
70 Frederick Denison Maurice
84 Sir Walter Raleigh
94 Richard Brinsley Sheridan
:)

:hmm: I assume this is a claim to record these sections, so I've put you in for them.
~ Larry
VfkaBT

Post by VfkaBT »

My previous LV work: Bellona Times
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

~ Larry
ADKreader1122

Post by ADKreader1122 »

Hi--Here are sections 39, 40, and 41 for proofing. I haven't been able to paste these in as active links; if anyone knows how I can do that, I'd love to know. Thanks very much! Lora

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/wordportraits_039_wotton_128kb.mp3 2:32 min.

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/wordportraits_040_wotton_128kb.mp3 2:24 min.

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/wordportraits_041_wotton_128kb.mp3 2:17 min.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ADKreader1122 wrote: February 1st, 2018, 11:43 am Hi--Here are sections 39, 40, and 41 for proofing. I haven't been able to paste these in as active links; if anyone knows how I can do that, I'd love to know. Thanks very much! Lora
thank you for the recordings, Lora, I will PL shortly. What do you mean with "active links" ? The links you posted were just fine and are downloadable. You did nothing wrong. :)

Larry, I'm updating the MW while I'm at it.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Hi Matt, thank you for your nice readings :thumbs: Interesting people you have chosen here. Textually there was nothing wrong or missing, I only have one small PL note regarding your "sidenotes".

At the beginning of this project, the following convention was decided to be used for the text sources. For example, the first text source in your Maurice text: read "from F. Maurice’s Life of F. D. Maurice” – then start with the text. No “sidenote” mention required.

So could you please quickly replace each "sidenote" with "from" in both your sections. I noted down the time stamps, for easier reference :)

For Landor:
> at 0:28
> at 1:38
> at 2:39

For Maurice:
> at 0:28:
> at 1:39:

thank you

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ADKreader1122 wrote: February 1st, 2018, 11:43 am Hi--Here are sections 39, 40, and 41 for proofing.
all right Lora, I just finished checking your sections. Please don't get a shock when you see the PL notes. Mostly it's the same thing to correct each time, and none of the corrections are difficult to make. All in all your reading is very beautiful, very nicely articulated, so it's agreeable to listen to and easy to follow along. The following notes are just some technical tweakings and LibriVox standards that need to be applied.

PL notes for David Gray:
> the recording has a high level of background noise and could benefit from some noise-cleaning. Do you have Audacity ? It’s very easy to noise-clean in that program.
1) select a small portion where you don't speak (usually at the end of your file)
2) go to Effect - Noise Cleaning
3) first select Get Noise Profile
4) then highlight the entire recording
5) again Effect - Noise Cleaning
6) now select OK
> at 1:27: forgot “1859” at the end of the first excerpt
> at 2:24: the standard ending usually simply is “End of Section 39”, not as you said “this is the end of section 39”
> only 2 seconds of silence at the end, instead of the standard 5 seconds. Please add 3 more seconds

PL notes for Thomas Gray:
> also run a round of noise cleaning here please
> at 1:13: please insert missing date “1729” at the end of first excerpt
> at 1:49: there is an audible lip smacking, maybe you want to cut that out ;) (optional)
> at 2:16: please insert “1770” at the end of the third excerpt
> at 2:17: simply “End of Section 40” will do
> please insert 2 more seconds of silence at the end

PL notes for Henry Hallam:
> noise cleaning once again
> you leave almost 2 seconds of silence at the beginning, which is a bit long to wait for the text to start. Usually we have 0.5 to maximum 1 second at the beginning (optional here, just mentioning it for later sections, but your other sections were fine)
> at 1:14: stumble and repeat on “he expresses as decided an opinion” – you can easily cut out the surplus “as” before “an”
> at 1:36: please insert date “1838
> at 2:09: “End of section 41” will do. You could also leave a bit of a breathing pause between the end of the text proper and the final disclaimer, but this is optional
> add 2 seconds of silence at the end

this is all. So basically it's only noise-cleaning and the end silence and a few missing dates. Easily corrected and doesn't diminish your great reading at all :thumbs:

Thanks

Sonia