[Complete] Coffee Break Collection 014 - New Beginnings - lt

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

Eva, Lynne and Mindle:

(Mindle--what follows is an extremely rare remedy to a complicated situation. I don't usually do this, but I did it this time).

First of all--the cut and paste error has been perfectly corrected.

Now as to the "that" I appreciate the kind words of all involved and the respect and deference shown to me. This is a situation where there was right on all sides. Lynne's input was right on point, as was Eva's that this particular poem is not heavily "metered driven."

I'm taking a little time here to explain things to Mindle--who is just beginning what I know will be a terrific career here at Librivox.

I don't usually PL word-for-word unless the standard is word perfect (which this is not). However, Lynne is right that in verse, an extra syllable can in many poems throw off the rhythm--and something attracted my attention to look at the poem at that point and notice the extra word. I went back and listened again--and really the impact on the rhythm seemed marginal. So I did something I have only done in one other instance. I excised the "that" from the file myself in Audacity. The rhythm was appreciable changed (and I was able to do it without extraneous noise.) So the that-less file I saved and re-uploaded. (Eva if you want to hear it, its there...just use the download link in the MW.) You don't have to re-record (I appreciate the emotional drain that your recording places on you).

That makes the file PL-OK.

Many thanks to all,

Philip
Back after 8/15. In the hands of the medicos.
bluechien

Post by bluechien »

Thank you Philip - for going to all that effort.

I tried to edit it like this but I just was not able to make it work.

When I have a huge editing dilemma like this I can't put right I may have to ask you for help. :D

Whooo, fire put out!
Eva D
If we do meet again, why, we shall smile;
If not, why then, this parting was well made.
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Thank you everyone for your work on this :thumbs:

Another quick note about "word perfect" for Mindle...
Some BCs routinely ask for WP (which drives 99% of us crazy)
Then there are some projects which are always WP... Shakespeare and religious texts.
Then you have poetry... and you've seen the discussion about that above.
Word Perfect does require you to read along and be nit-picky about every if, and or but, word order etc (most of the time we don't mind if it's "he said" or "said he").
It will always say in the first post whether it is standard or Word Perfect.
lannonx23

Post by lannonx23 »

Philip and Lynne, thanks for taking the time to explain our policy and your thought processes on this case! This helps me, indeed!

Philip, I've PLed section 6 (Ulysses), and I think it's PL-OK, but I caught one potential thing (back to my lack of experience). The ending instructions are:
At the end of the section, say:
"End of [title]"
At about 04:30, you say "End of Ulysses by Alfred Lord Tennyson", which, the author isn't technically supposed to be read there.

Seems minor enough to me, but I'll bring it up since I'm still figuring out what's minor and what's not. :P

Otherwise, the reading was word-perfect. I enjoyed your rendition, and the poem in general, which I'd not read before.
-Mindle Hastings
Catalog Page
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

Thanks, Mindle for your excellent PL. I'll go back and fix that and re-upload that for you to check that I have made the appropriate corrections.

Philip
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

Mindle:

I have corrected the file and re-uploaded it. Just click on the "Listen" link in the MW and then go to the end of the file where the correction is, there is no need to listen through the whole thing again.

Great job!

Philip
lannonx23

Post by lannonx23 »

DrPGould wrote: January 4th, 2018, 7:17 pm Mindle:

I have corrected the file and re-uploaded it. Just click on the "Listen" link in the MW and then go to the end of the file where the correction is, there is no need to listen through the whole thing again.

Great job!

Philip
Thanks for doing this, Philip! Unfortunately, the file that's linked in the MW still has the extra words. I'm guessing it's still pointing to the old file somehow?
-Mindle Hastings
Catalog Page
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Here's mine, it's the first meeting of Watson and Holmes from "A Study in Scarlet". I started out recording all of chapter 1, which was a bit too long, so I cut out the first bit of the chapter about Watson and Afghanistan and began with Watson meeting his old acquaintance who introduces him to Holmes.

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/cb014_watsonmeetsholmes_cm_128kb.mp3
11:35

A Study in Scarlet, chapter 1 (excerpt)
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
1859-1930

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/244
Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

Mindle:

It should be ok now. (I checked after I uploaded this time). The link is supposed to automatically update, so I re-uploaded the new file again and checked the link after I did.

Many thanks,

Philip
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

ColleenMc wrote: January 5th, 2018, 7:48 am Here's mine, it's the first meeting of Watson and Holmes from "A Study in Scarlet". I started out recording all of chapter 1, which was a bit too long, so I cut out the first bit of the chapter about Watson and Afghanistan and began with Watson meeting his old acquaintance who introduces him to Holmes.

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/cb014_watsonmeetsholmes_cm_128kb.mp3
11:35

A Study in Scarlet, chapter 1 (excerpt)
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
1859-1930

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/244
Thank you.
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

DrPGould wrote: January 5th, 2018, 7:57 am Mindle:

It should be ok now. (I checked after I uploaded this time). The link is supposed to automatically update, so I re-uploaded the new file again and checked the link after I did.

Many thanks,

Philip
I think I may be able to throw some light on this... Philip, on your original post, you made a mistake in the file name, which I corrected. If you re-uploaded with the same file name (which is what we always tell you to do), it would not match the link in the MW; so indeed, that link would still point to the old file. If you uploaded with the correct file name, and it matched, it would replace the file previously uploaded. I'm sure that's as clear as mud :roll:
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

Thanks, Lynne. Sorry for the fumble fingers--and the extra work.

Philip
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

ColleenMC:

Section 7 Where Holmes and Watson meet is PL-OK! Nicely done!

Many thanks,

Philip
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Thanks!
Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai
lannonx23

Post by lannonx23 »

DrPGould wrote: January 5th, 2018, 7:57 am Mindle:

Many thanks,

Philip
I'm sorry for the delay (sickness and a busy weekend!). This is so weird. The file I download still has the extra words in it. I'm downloading from https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/cb014_ulysses_pg_128kb.mp3 (which is the URL that's currently in the MW). I'm 100% sure I'm not using a cached version, because I'm literally on a different computer than the last time I checked. I know you checked the link, like you said, so I'm not sure how to explain this, unless maybe the link you checked had the different filename, like Lynne was talking about.

Sorry for so much rigmarole. :?
-Mindle Hastings
Catalog Page