[COMPLETE POETRY] Selected Poems of Francis Thompson - ke

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Jude1972

Post by Jude1972 »

I got a new laptop today..... just downloaded audacity again, and it's all OK....
brucek

Post by brucek »

And here's my final section, 25, at 1:14

https://librivox.org/uploads/kathrinee/selectedpoems_25_thompson_128kb.mp3

Thanks, Larry.

~~~~~
Bruce.
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

brucek wrote: February 14th, 2018, 11:49 am And here's my final section, 25, at 1:14

Thanks, Larry.

~~~~~
Bruce.
Thanks, Bruce.
I'll get caught up on the PL soon.
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Sorry for the delay in replying.

I'm going to ask you to rename these and upload them again because the file name are incorrect. Each muse have the author's name in the following format: selectedpoems_14_thompson_125kb.mp3

Also, please include the file length on minutes and seconds, such as 3:25 or whatever it is. We do not need the KB measurement.

Thanks. I'm looking forward to listening to your reading.

ETA: I thought I should listen to a sample of your recording and check the specs.

First, the volume on all of these is far, far to low. They measure only around 73-74 dB. Usually we catch this on your initial one-minute test that we ask new readers to complete. Did you get any feedback on your volume?

Anyway, our LibriVox target is 89dB with an acceptable range of 86-92dB. I don't know if you can amplify these enough without introducing undesirable distortion. You need to make some major adjustment to your recording set up. This may mean decreasing the distance to your microphone or increasing your input gain, or a combination of both. If you need help, our guides and videos offer a lot of good instruction. You can find links to them in the initial post in each project forum thread.

There you will also find the other information you need, some of which is specific to each project, such as the exact format for the file name as referenced above. You will also find the intro and "outro" to be used. For collections of short poetry, we often use an abbreviated format. As you will see, the correct format here is," Name of Poem by Francis Thompson, read for LibriVox DOT org by "your name." The outro at the end is simply, "End of poem. This recording is in the public domain."

I know there is a lot to learn at the beginning, but once you get your recording set up adjusted, and these basics down, you will be able to relax and enjoy reading. I did very much enjoy the sample of your reading that I listened to.
If you have questions, or need more help, just ask.
Last edited by silverquill on February 17th, 2018, 10:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

bradbeadlesr wrote: February 4th, 2018, 7:41 pm I recently uploaded the corrected "selectedpoems_03_thompson," for final approval.

I am currently working on "selectedpoems_04_thompson, however I don't want to upload it until I am sure that "Selectedpoems_03_thompson is complete.

https://librivox.org/uploads/kathrinee/selectedpoems_03_thompson_128kb.mp3
Getting caught up here. Sorry for the delay.

The reading is fine, except for the intro which should be just" POEMS ON CHILDREN: Daisy read for LibriVox DOT org by "your name." This is an abbreviated intro we use with poetry collections where the sections are short. It enhances the listening experience. I'll let you change that and upload it again and use the same format for your next recordings

Thanks so much.
~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

NemoR wrote: February 6th, 2018, 10:14 pm Section 6 for PL - length is 3:29

https://librivox.org/uploads/kathrinee/selectedpoems_06_thompson_128kb.mp3
:shock: :shock: I don't know what to say. I applaud your creativity and skill in putting this together! I'm a bit ambivalent about the special effects, but let's keep it as unique interpretation of the poem. You guys are amazing. :clap:
~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

brucek wrote: February 14th, 2018, 11:49 am And here's my final section, 25, at 1:14

Thanks, Larry.

~~~~~
Bruce.
All of your sections are PL OK, Bruce.
~ Larry
brucek

Post by brucek »

silverquill wrote: February 17th, 2018, 10:31 pm

Thanks, Larry.

~~~~~
Bruce.
Except for sections 25, 29, 37, 45 and 51, n'est-ce pas?

Thanks Larry, no rush, I know you're busy,

~~~~
Bruce.
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

brucek wrote: February 18th, 2018, 10:56 am
silverquill wrote: February 17th, 2018, 10:31 pm

Thanks, Larry.

~~~~~
Bruce.
Except for sections 25, 29, 37, 45 and 51, n'est-ce pas?

Thanks Larry, no rush, I know you're busy,

~~~~
Bruce.
Nope, I just didn't get the MW updated. :oops:
Jude, yours are PL OK too.
~ Larry
Jude1972

Post by Jude1972 »

glad my poems are all OK....
Babilfrenzo

Post by Babilfrenzo »

I would like to claim 47 (Dream-Tryst)

This will be my first recording: please use Roberto Kingsley
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Babilfrenzo wrote: February 20th, 2018, 9:45 pm I would like to claim 47 (Dream-Tryst)

This will be my first recording: please use Roberto Kingsley
Welcome to LibriVox!
Wonderful to have your debut in this project.

I have assigned this section to you.
If you click on you name in the MW, you will be taken to your personal LV catalog page where you will see all of your LV activity.

Let me know if you have any questions.
Looking forward to listening to your recording.
~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Thank you for working on these, Janis.
First, the good news -- the volume on all of these is within the acceptable range. :thumbs:

There are still problems with the file names, however. For section 13 you have upper case 128KB. File names must have only lower case letters and numbers and no spaces.

In sections 14 and 15, selectedpoems is misspelled two different ways.
Section 21 is correct!

I've listened to just Section 13 because it took me so long to do it because it is full of mistakes. Below are my notes. It may seem strict, but I have mentioned only the ones that I felt seriously affect the meaning of the poem. Others I have not commented on. We do have to be more particular with poetry where words are an important part of the form and meaning, than we might in a straight prose section where these things matter less.

Since you have to resubmit the other poems, I suggest that before doing so, you listen to them again, following along with the text, to see if you can catch most of the mistakes. This is part of your job in editing your recordings. The proof listener is there to catch things that still might have been missed, not to act as an editor.

NOTES: Section 13

First, the intro is incorrect. The format for this is clearly given in the instructions in the initial post. Always check this for each project, since there may be variations or specific instructions. The format for poetry books is usually different. The intro should be "The Child-Woman by Francis Thompson, read for LibriVox DOT ORG (by your name if you wish." Then read the poem.

0:48 Text: “The barèd limbs” I hear, “The barred limbs” That is a different word that changes the meaning. This is “bare – ed” as in limbs that are bare. Two syllables.

0:57 Text: “With which indissolubly” I hear something like, “indissiduously” which isn’t even a word.

1:00 Text: “The tyrannous time” I hear, “tyrannious” – extra syllable. This is the adjective of tyranny, also accent on first syllable.

1:10 Text: “Light as entrailèd blossoms” I hear “entralled” This is a three syllable word – en- trail- ed – (note the accent on the last syllable indicating that that it is pronounced in order to keep the meter of the poem.. This is missed in several other places, as well, but we can let them slide, I think.

3:08 Text: “And wisdom weaves itself i' the loom o' the fool.” In this line, I hear the contractions i’ and o’ pronounced as long vowels, but they should be short since they stand for “in” and “of” This changes the meaning quite a bit.

3:34 Text: “Stay is heat's cradle, it is rocked therein,” This entire line is missing!
(By the way, the word, “champèd” in the preceding line is another example of the last syllable needing to be pronounced separately.):

4:08 Text: “And Awe was reined in awe,” I hear, “And Awe we reined in awe,”

4:13 Text: “And Golgotha” I hear something like, “Goliathal” This is the name of the hill on which Jesus was crucified, so it is important to get the pronunciation correct. This is three syllables Gol- goth – a Most often I hear the accent on the second syllable, but some put it on the first. Either is acceptable.

The outro is missing the final line, “This recording is in the public domain.” at the end.
~ Larry
emmacharliebrowning

Post by emmacharliebrowning »

May I claim 48 and 49 sections?

Thanks

Emma