[complete] [Poetry] The Haunted Hour - mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
linny

Post by linny »

The Haunted Hour; an anthology by Margaret Widdemer (1884 - 1978).
Volunteers outside the USA: Margaret Widdemer died in 1978. Her work is still protected by copyright in places, like Europe, where copyright is author's death plus 70 years, Australia (author's death plus 70 years for authors who died after 1954) or Canada (author's death plus 50 years).

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-haunted-hour-by-margaret-widdemer/

I have not considered as ghost-poems anything but poems which related to the return of spirits to earth. They "The Blessed Damozel," a poem of spirits in heaven, "La Belle Dame Sans Merci," whose heroine may be a fairy or witch, and whose ghosts are presented in dream only, do not belong in this classification; nor do such poems as Mathilde Blind's lovely sonnet, "The Dead Are Ever with Us," class as ghost-poems; for in these the dead are living in ourselves in a half-metaphorical sense. If a poem would be a ghost-story, in short, I have considered it a ghost-poem, not otherwise. (Margaret Widdemer)
  1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
  4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): https://archive.org/stream/hauntedhouranan01widdgoog#page/n6/mode/2up
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.
  6. Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard The DPL for this project is linny

Please don't download files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  7. The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Section [number] of The Haunted Hour; an anthology by Margaret Widdemar. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Then introduce each poem by saying:
      "[Full section title]" then "[Poem title], by [Poem author]."
    • Leave 3 seconds between poems

END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of Section [number]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Haunted Hour; an anthology, by Margaret Widdemer. "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  8. Example filename hauntedhour_##_widdemer_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. hauntedhour_01_widdemer_128kb.mp3)
  9. Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: maryannspiegel
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
  10. Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by linny on January 13th, 2019, 9:27 am, edited 8 times in total.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I am unable to MC this, because it's not PD for me. But your MC will need to know how many sections to put in the MW. Are you planning on doing one poem per file/section? If so, I think that's 107 sections, if I counted correctly. :)
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
Ravie13

Post by Ravie13 »

The text is separated into sub-sets of ghost poem styles (i.e. All Soul's Night, Sea Ghosts, Haunted Places) so I was thinking of separating by those thematic groupings but I'm open to one poem per section as well which might be more interesting for listeners looking for just particular poets. I'm open to suggestions.
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Hey Ravie,

I'm happy to MC this for you.

I read a book of poetry a while back where I grouped the poems into fives - that allowed me to go longer between reading the disclaimers. I think I left about 5 seconds between the poems so that the reader had time to digest that and move on to the next one. So I'll throw that out as an idea. Not that you use 5's exactly, but maybe you group each subset into one or two batches.

I'll set the MW up with 20 sections and you can add more later if you decide you need them, or we can delete a few at the end if that is too many.

MaryAnn
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

OK, Your MW is set up.

I've edited the intros in the first post assuming you are going to group the poems. If you decide to do one poem per section, let me know and I'll help you change the intros to reflect that.

For a solo project, you are the Book Coordinator. That means you fill out the Magic Window and post your links and times in the window when you upload your files.

You'll need to start by logging into the magic window. Instructions are in the BC How-to; and this is a more detailed version of the First Login instructions (with pictures!) Please be sure to read all of the BC How To document, as that will give you more information on your role as a BC.

Next, you'll need to start entering section (or chapter) titles. I've entered the first couple to get you started (again, assuming you will group the poems).

Then you are ready to start recording. When you upload a section, it's your responsibility to add the link and duration (mm:ss) to the Magic Window. Link from the uploader goes in the "listen URL" column, duration goes in the "notes" column. Then be sure to post in the thread that a new section is ready for PL so your DPL knows there is something new.

If you have questions, or if you have any trouble with the instructions in the BC how to, please post and we'll work through it together. There is a bit of a learning curve when you do your first solo. You've picked a nice size book - not too long and something that you are interested in, so it should be a manageable and enjoyable process for you.

MaryAnn
Ravie13

Post by Ravie13 »

Thank you so much MaryAnn!
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

After no activity from the soloist in 9 months, I am going to abandon this project. It will be opened up for someone else to take over as a BC or soloist.

MaryAnn
linny

Post by linny »

MaryAnn,
Section 1 is PL OK. The intro is slightly different than the posted one but all the components are there.
Section 2 is PL OK...sort of. Volume is 92.3dB. Reader states this is section 1 so if the MW were numbered starting with 0 this would be ok as 1 as long as the file name was also changed to 1.

If you don't want to go through the orphan process I could take it as a group project. It would take me a day or so to split the sections and figure everything out. If you would rather send it to abandoned, that's fine too.
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Linny,

Happy to have you take it on as a group. There's no rush.

I'll change a few things behind the scenes, and make you the poster on the first post (so you can edit if you want).

MaryAnn
linny

Post by linny »

Ok, sounds good. Please also renumber the MW starting with 0.
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Linny,

I was having trouble with my internet last night, but everything is working now.

MW renumbered starting with 0 - remember that the sections submitted are 1 and 2, not 0 and 1.

You are now able to edit the first post, and in as BC.

Please let me know when you are happy with the MW splits. I'll wait to move this to readers wanted until then, so people don't start claiming before you are ready.

MaryAnn
linny

Post by linny »

For the Preface she didn't read a section number, just "preface". I have changed the file number to 00.

For 'The Far Away Country' she read as 'section 1'. I have changed the file number to 01 and lowered the volume.

I uploaded again and changed the links in the MW.

The initial post is updated.

I have some things to do in town but I'll split the sections tonight. It's looking like 5-6 poems per section.
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

All sounds great Linny.
MaryAnn
linny

Post by linny »

I'm not sure lumping poems together is the best option here but MW is up and ready. I added a number of sections in an attempt to keep the sections about the same length.

As BC, this is my first poetry collection. For key word searches should we add all the authors or the poem titles? For instance, The Looking-Glass by Rudyard Kipling is in here but the way the project is set up it would never show during a search.
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

You could add something to the summary, like "a collection of ghost poems, including works by Kipling, Poe, etc. etc. etc."

And then add the poets as key words. If you think there's a particularly famous poem, you can add that to the key words as well, but I'm not sure how well the search works if there's not an exact title match. So I always try to keep my key words general, single words, rather than phrases. Don't know for sure, I'm just guessing on Archive's search function.

MaryAnn