[Complete] Anton Tchekhov and essays by Lev Shestov - lt

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Wervyn

Post by Wervyn »

Hello all, I just joined up and am looking for a place to get my feet wet, and this seems as good a place to start as any. I would happily slog through the Introduction for you, it seems to be languishing like the last hors d'oeuvre on a lonely plate. For now and all future reference, my pseudonym is simply "Wervyn".
soupy

Post by soupy »

Welcome to Librivox Wervyn and thanks for choosing this project to begin your journey :thumbs:
I've assigned section 00 to you. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Craig
The world needs some positive fanaticism.

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaard on Christianity
Kierkegaards Challenge
Wervyn

Post by Wervyn »

Section 0 should be set: https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/antontchekhovandotheressays_00_shestov_128kb.mp3 - 14:10

This is my first attempt at this so still learning what the standard of quality is. There are a few minor voice cracks or word stumbles here and there, but for the most part I thought it was pretty clean. If there's anything I need to re-loop I'd appreciate advice on how best to do that in Audacity seamlessly.
soupy

Post by soupy »

Thanks Wervyn :D silverquill will be along to pl.

Your voice sounds good and volume sounds good. But silverquill will give the ultimate response.

Craig

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaards Challenge
Wervyn

Post by Wervyn »

I really did enjoy the reading, it was pretty passionate for an introduction to a book of philosophical essays. I'm inclined to pick up the remaining work too, even thinking it might be nice to have the whole first essay read in one voice, but I don't want to step on anyone's claim. But you can put me on sections 3 and 4 at least, and we can try to get this in the can.
soupy

Post by soupy »

Thanks once again Wervyn :thumbs: That will move the project to readers found and come close to completion.
I really did enjoy the reading, it was pretty passionate for an introduction to a book of philosophical essays.
I think Lev Shestov understood his times.

Craig

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaards Challenge
Wervyn

Post by Wervyn »

The intro was from J.M. Murry direct, though, it was kind of like "wow this translator has a lot of philosophical insight to get off his chest too."

I have a couple procedural and direction questions as I'm getting ready to do these sections. First, this essay and others in the book are divided into parts. I think it makes sense to read the heading at the beginning of each (e.g. "Five. <pause> Thus the real, the only hero of Tchekhov..."). I wanted to make sure that's consistent with what you've been doing elsewhere though.

Shestov does a lot of excerpting from Chekhov's works. It's my intent to read those more dramatically when appropriate, and use a more expository tone for Shestov's commentary. Does that track with your vision for this? Do you have a vision for this?

It doesn't come up in the sections I've currently claimed, but I was curious if there was a preferred approach, here or generally on Librivox, for handling footnotes like the one in section 2. I think my inclination here would be to read it as if it were a parenthetical after the sentence, with a different voice in this case since here it's a translator's note.

I'll probably just start in on this now assuming I've made the right calls, but it felt worth throwing those out there in advance.
soupy

Post by soupy »

Hello Wervyn

these are my answers:

"Five. <pause> Thus the real, the only hero of Tchekhov
- this is fine

read those more dramatically when appropriate
here at librivox we let each one do as they wish as long as they keep to the text.

handling footnotes
yes you can read them parenthetically.

Thanks for your interest and your questions. :thumbs:
My vision is only to see the book completed with good results for listeners as well as the readers themselves.

Craig

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaards Challenge
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

soupy wrote: March 6th, 2018, 4:15 pm
handling footnotes
yes you can read them parenthetically.

Craig
I would add two things:
1. It's a project by project thing, so always check with the BC. There is no standard policy on how footnotes should be handled.
2. If the footnote is basic (See p. 37 etc) it shouldn't be included... that is of no use to a listener and disrupts the flow of the text.
Wervyn

Post by Wervyn »

Section 3 is ready - https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/antontchekhovandotheressays_03_shestov_128kb.mp3 - 16:59

Thanks for the feedback and advice!
soupy

Post by soupy »

Thanks Wervyn :thumbs:

Craig

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaards Challenge
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Wervyn wrote: March 5th, 2018, 6:54 pm Section 0 should be set: https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/antontchekhovandotheressays_00_shestov_128kb.mp3 - 14:10

This is my first attempt at this so still learning what the standard of quality is. There are a few minor voice cracks or word stumbles here and there, but for the most part I thought it was pretty clean. If there's anything I need to re-loop I'd appreciate advice on how best to do that in Audacity seamlessly.
Wonderful :thumbs: This is so well read, and especially Section 3 with your touch of drama.

Just a couple of small notes for the Introduction. There is quite a noticeable background hum. It can easily be reduced by using the noise reduction feature in Audacity. Perhaps you used this on Section 3 because it is much quieter. See if you can take care of that and upload a new file (use the same file name).

Also, we usually treat the 00 Sections a bit differently and Just say, "Introduction to" instead of "Section Zero" which sounds a little strange. Then just , "End of Introduction." No rule rule on this, and I'll let Craig make the call.

Just two small notes on Section 3, there is a mouse click right at the end of the recording, and a louder click at 15:42. This are minor and certainly within the parameters of LV standards. I mention them only if you are a perfectionist. :roll:

Again, your reading is superb! You are off to a great start with LibriVox, and I hope to hear you often :clap:
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

zgorelick wrote: March 5th, 2018, 3:45 pm Here's section 5: https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/antontchekhovandotheressays_05_shestov_128kb.mp3 (32:30)

Sorry it's late! Let me know if the audio hits all the right marks, please. Happy to adjust amplification / noise reduction if necessary.

- Zach
Very well read. :clap:

The only thing that is needed is an adjustment in volume. It comes in at only 84.2 dB. Our LV target is 89 dB with an acceptable range of 86-92 dB. So, just run the amplification function and set it +5, and you'll be close to the mark.
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
soupy

Post by soupy »

Also, we usually treat the 00 Sections a bit differently and Just say, "Introduction to" instead of "Section Zero" which sounds a little strange. Then just , "End of Introduction." No rule rule on this, and I'll let Craig make the call.
I agree.

Craig

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaards Challenge
Wervyn

Post by Wervyn »

silverquill wrote: March 9th, 2018, 2:20 pmWonderful :thumbs: This is so well read, and especially Section 3 with your touch of drama.
Thanks, I'm glad you liked it!
Just a couple of small notes for the Introduction. There is quite a noticeable background hum. It can easily be reduced by using the noise reduction feature in Audacity. Perhaps you used this on Section 3 because it is much quieter. See if you can take care of that and upload a new file (use the same file name).
One of the notes I got on my one-minute test was that the noise filter settings I used made things sound too processed, I'd tuned it high to try to erase all background noise. For this intro, I tried it without; I thought it sounded a little loud but I wanted to see if it fell within preferred limits. It sounds like the lower settings I tried for Section 3 are a happy medium, so I'll stick to those in the future.
That shouldn't be too hard to loop over, can do.
Just two small notes on Section 3, there is a mouse click right at the end of the recording, and a louder click at 15:42. This are minor and certainly within the parameters of LV standards. I mention them only if you are a perfectionist. :roll:
Argh, I thought I'd clipped all of those. Honestly there are so many little things (for instance, did you notice my wife's computer get a couple of notifications in the background?) that I worry I'd never stop nitpicking if I tried to be a complete perfectionist about this. So if they don't matter to you I won't worry about them. Although in this case, those wouldn't be that hard to fix...

I've been taking a break to work on other things but I'll probably get around to section 4 tomorrow afternoon.