Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Thank you :thumbs:
Carolin
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

zgorelick wrote: January 5th, 2018, 3:31 pm Uploaded #8. Duration: 02:24.
https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/songsoftheseaandlaysoftheland_08_leland_128kb.mp3
Please let me know if I need to adjust any settings before I record the next sections, or if I need to re-record this one. Thanks!
Hi Zachary, so I suppose you are eagerly awaiting your feedback, that's why I made this poem my priority :D First of all: the narration is wonderful :9: you have a clear voice, a nice diction and an easy-to-follow pace. Perfect. Already I love to hear more from you.

Two things do need changing though, to make it LV-standard:

> your volume is way below our accepted limit of 86-92 dB. Yours is only 75.8 dB and I really had to crank it up a bit to hear it. No need to re-record ! If you are using Audacity it's easy to amplify. Please amplify the whole file with 13 dB and you'll be well inside our perfect volume.

> unfortunately the background noise will be amplified as well in the process, and I checked and did hear some noise in your spoken parts, after I amplified :( Since the end silence is totally clean still (you must have inserted clean silence there I suppose), you cannot take a sample from there, so here is what I did to clean that up:
- I selected a very short noisy part around the 0:27 mark to get the noise-sample, then I highlighted the entire recording and did the noise-cleaning on that sample.

> at 0:15: if you say "Note" it would be good if at the end you also say "End of Note", before launching into the poem. But let's ask Carolin first, if she wants notes included. Don't do anything yet until we hear back from her.

But you can go ahead and record the second poem if you wish. Apart from the volume, all was super :thumbs:

Sonia
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Thank you sonia! Not saying end of note is not a big deal, but since another edit is needed, it would be great if you could also add the "end of note" :) thank you!
Carolin
zgorelick

Post by zgorelick »

Kitty wrote: January 6th, 2018, 3:18 am
zgorelick wrote: January 5th, 2018, 3:31 pm Uploaded #8. Duration: 02:24.
https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/songsoftheseaandlaysoftheland_08_leland_128kb.mp3
Please let me know if I need to adjust any settings before I record the next sections, or if I need to re-record this one. Thanks!
Hi Zachary, so I suppose you are eagerly awaiting your feedback, that's why I made this poem my priority :D First of all: the narration is wonderful :9: you have a clear voice, a nice diction and an easy-to-follow pace. Perfect. Already I love to hear more from you.

Two things do need changing though, to make it LV-standard:

> your volume is way below our accepted limit of 86-92 dB. Yours is only 75.8 dB and I really had to crank it up a bit to hear it. No need to re-record ! If you are using Audacity it's easy to amplify. Please amplify the whole file with 13 dB and you'll be well inside our perfect volume.

> unfortunately the background noise will be amplified as well in the process, and I checked and did hear some noise in your spoken parts, after I amplified :( Since the end silence is totally clean still (you must have inserted clean silence there I suppose), you cannot take a sample from there, so here is what I did to clean that up:
- I selected a very short noisy part around the 0:27 mark to get the noise-sample, then I highlighted the entire recording and did the noise-cleaning on that sample.

> at 0:15: if you say "Note" it would be good if at the end you also say "End of Note", before launching into the poem. But let's ask Carolin first, if she wants notes included. Don't do anything yet until we hear back from her.

But you can go ahead and record the second poem if you wish. Apart from the volume, all was super :thumbs:

Sonia
Thanks so much for the kind words, Sonia, as well as the advice on amplifying and cleaning up the recording. I'll make it happen and see how it sounds.

Thanks again! And Carolin, I'll make sure to add the 'End Note' in the new edit.

All the feedback is very much appreciated!

- Zach

UPDATE:

Okay, Sonia and Carolin - attempt #2 :)

Let me know what you think!

- Zach
Last edited by zgorelick on January 6th, 2018, 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

zgorelick wrote: January 6th, 2018, 11:59 am Okay, Sonia and Carolin - attempt #2 :)
- Zach
just to make sure: you did not re-record the whole thing, is that correct ? You only correct and amplified/cleaned ? Just so I know whether I can Spot PL or will have to listen from scratch.

Sonia
zgorelick

Post by zgorelick »

Kitty wrote: January 6th, 2018, 12:43 pm
zgorelick wrote: January 6th, 2018, 11:59 am Okay, Sonia and Carolin - attempt #2 :)
- Zach
just to make sure: you did not re-record the whole thing, is that correct ? You only correct and amplified/cleaned ? Just so I know whether I can Spot PL or will have to listen from scratch.

Sonia
Correct. Just followed your directions. Only added the "End of Note," amplified, and removed noise.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

zgorelick wrote: January 6th, 2018, 12:46 pm Correct. Just followed your directions. Only added the "End of Note," amplified, and removed noise.
great, yes, perfectly PL ok now. :thumbs:

Now have fun with the next poem. I know I will have fun listening to it. :9:

Sonia
zgorelick

Post by zgorelick »

Kitty wrote: January 6th, 2018, 12:58 pm
zgorelick wrote: January 6th, 2018, 12:46 pm Correct. Just followed your directions. Only added the "End of Note," amplified, and removed noise.
great, yes, perfectly PL ok now. :thumbs:

Now have fun with the next poem. I know I will have fun listening to it. :9:

Sonia
Thanks so much! And you're in luck - I've just finished recording it!

https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/songsoftheseaandlaysoftheland_16_leland_128kb.mp3 Duration: 02:13

Did the amplification / noise removal process on this one too. Hope I did it right lol :)

- Zach
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

zgorelick wrote: January 6th, 2018, 1:13 pm Thanks so much! And you're in luck - I've just finished recording it!
https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/songsoftheseaandlaysoftheland_16_leland_128kb.mp3 Duration: 02:13
Did the amplification / noise removal process on this one too. Hope I did it right lol :)
excellent, this passes muster (to stay in the sailor jargon :mrgreen: ) I can mark this one PL ok immediately. Yes the amplification and noise-cleaning is correct this time. :thumbs: And as always, very entertainingly read.

Thanks !

Sonia
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Thank you both :thumbs:
Carolin
AlexandraWilhelmina

Post by AlexandraWilhelmina »

If still available I'd love to read #6 and #9.
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Thank you :D
Carolin
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Kitty wrote: December 29th, 2017, 3:20 am Here they are. It was fun practicing a bit of Italian again :9: and the poem is so easy, one can even understand the gist of it without speaking the lingo. I'd suggest you listen to the English first, it's an accurate translation and it will give you an idea what the poem is about.

https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/songsoftheseaandlaysoftheland_10_leland_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 2:39 min.

https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/songsoftheseaandlaysoftheland_11_leland_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 2:41 min.

Sonia
Oh, I saw these in the MW and thought I'd PL them before I saw this note. I found both to be PL OK, and so neatly read. You are amazing, Sonia!

(I could read a poem in Spanish, and I can get by with my Korean, probably pretty rusty with my Haitian Creole, and my Japanese is all but gone, although I did record some of Lafcadio Hearn that had a lot of Japanese names and some poems).

If you want to listen to them too, Carolin, they are quite enjoyable!
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

silverquill wrote:Oh, I saw these in the MW and thought I'd PL them before I saw this note. I found both to be PL OK, and so neatly read. You are amazing, Sonia!
thank you Larry, for the nice feedback :9: I'm glad you enjoyed them

So they are PL ok ? Then I'll change the status in the MW.
(I could read a poem in Spanish, and I can get by with my Korean, probably pretty rusty with my Haitian Creole, and my Japanese is all but gone, although I did record some of Lafcadio Hearn that had a lot of Japanese names and some poems).
:shock: wow Korean I imagine would be difficult, they are probably speaking in the same tonal voices like the Chinese, right ? You should try to find a short Korean poem for our multi-lingual project :D

Sonia
DianaS

Post by DianaS »

Hi, may I read Section 31, The Story of Samuel Jackson ?
DianaS