COMPLETE: History of Mary Prince - jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Newgatenovelist

Post by Newgatenovelist »

The History of Mary Prince by Mary Prince ( - 0).

This project iscomplete, and all audio files can be found on the catalog page.

https://librivox.org/the-history-of-mary-prince-by-mary-prince/
Mary Prince was born into slavery in the West Indies. As a free woman in England she wrote her memoirs, which sold well and supported and publicised the anti-slavery movement.

NB This book contains racial vocabulary and refers to physical and sexual abuse that some listeners may find offensive or distressing. (Newgatenovelist)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): https://books.google.nl/books?id=RTJcAAAAcAAJ&printsec=frontcover&hl=nl&source=gbs_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q&f;=false
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/Biography & Autobiography; *Non-fiction/History /Modern (19th C)

Keywords that describe the book: anti-slavery society, abolitionism, slave narrative, antigua, caribbean, west indies

============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of The History of Mary Prince. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "The History of Mary Prince, by Mary Prince. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of The History of Mary Prince by Mary Prince. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The History of Mary Prince, by Mary Prince. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename maryprince_##_prince_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. maryprince_01_prince_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: knotyouraveragejo
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by Newgatenovelist on April 18th, 2018, 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Off LV 25-28 March.
Newgatenovelist

Pnagami has most kindly agreed to DPL.
Off LV 25-28 March.
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

Pam Nagami reporting for duty as DPL!
"Quiet minds cannot be perplexed or frightened but go on in fortune or misfortune at their own private pace, like a clock during a thunderstorm."

Robert Louis Stevenson
Newgatenovelist

Just in case the link is playing up, I've put the pdf on google drive:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CzvI_mGtTuTb-OxYWvIVl737mGOdm9fG/view?usp=sharing

The title page is on 8 (of 77).

I've guessed at the number of sections I'll need, but this project will be a learning experience for me about splitting up longer prose sections of text!

Erin
Off LV 25-28 March.
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Here's an alternate text link to consider.

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/17851

I'll MC.
Jo
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

All set, Erin. You can shorten the filenames to

maryprince_##_prince_128kb.mp3

Unless there is a good reason not to use it, the gutenberg link I posted above would be the preferred text from which to read. Google books links can sometimes be difficult to folks outside the U.S. to access.
Jo
Newgatenovelist

Thank you very much, Jo! The shortened file name is great and will be easier to use, too.

I hope not to get this off to a bumpy start, but I think I might be missing something. I'm outside the US and can download and view the scan, and I went looking for it because I try to avoid PG if possible. I have PLed from PG texts, but not read long prose sections from them. If there is a possible problem for listeners in some countries or listeners with screen readers, would it work if I included a sentence in the summary saying something along the lines of 'this text is also available from PG at <link>'? I'm sorry if this question hasn't come up before!

Erin
Off LV 25-28 March.
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

You can read from the Google Books scan if you prefer. Any clearly PD online text is acceptable. I am curious though as to your reason for avoiding PG? We usually like to use the PG link on the catalog page since it gives people a stable link to various format options if they choose to download the text to read along with the audio. We have had problems in the past with accessing Google book scans outside the U.S, so it is good to know that this one at least isn't a problem.
Jo
Newgatenovelist

Thank you, Jo.

My reasons for avoiding PG if possible are going to sound pretty old and cranky! I appreciate that PG texts make books more available to a wider audience, and that they can be extremely useful for BCs preparing texts for DRs. I also know that any copy, available for free, is better than no copy, and I've used PG Australia and the University of Adelaide for projects on Legamus.

I'll shake my head and say 'books these days!', and then in no particular order:

For general reasons, PG can be a bit hit and miss about which edition or editions they have used as a source, which can in turn be problematic if a book was heavily revised, subsequently updated or expanded or went through multiple editions, and the reader or listener has no idea which version they're using.

Also for general reasons, I'm wary of the errors that inevitably creep in to texts when they go through extra stages of production (including recording, I hasten to add). I do realise that PG are careful to proofread, but even with a tiny margin of error, mistakes can still occur. Purely anecdotally, a few have crept in to projects I've PLed, and they've been resolved by checking the text against a scan or physical copy.

On a personal note, using PG as a source assumes that 1. a reader will be able to go online to get the website up prior to recording, or that the reader records on a device connected to the internet, and 2. that, to get back and forth from the footnotes (reproduced as endnotes), the device will stay connected to the internet throughout the recording session.

On a highly personal note, I find the PG texts very difficult to read. I've tried to copy them to a document offline but the formatting is usually worse (though that could be user error!). I can and have PLed from them, but they just look like a wall of jumbled words when I try to read myself. I'm sure it doesn't affect other readers the same way.

I hope this doesn't sound like I'm having a go at PG. Their texts can be useful for many people, and I'm sure many readers on LV find it easier to use PG books.
Erin
Off LV 25-28 March.
Newgatenovelist

I'm posting to check in. I've been under the weather and unable to record, but I am hoping to pick up again later in the month. I haven't forgotten about this!
Erin
Off LV 25-28 March.
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Hope you are feeling better!
Jo
Newgatenovelist

Hi Pam,

I'm (finally!) getting rolling with a nice short section. It starts with the lines by Cowper on the title page (8/77):
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/maryprince_00_prince_128kb.mp3 (4.05)
Erin
Off LV 25-28 March.
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

Hi Erin,

This is going to be fascinating!

Preface: at 03:32 I hear "Claremont Street" instead of "Claremont Square".

My best,

Pam
"Quiet minds cannot be perplexed or frightened but go on in fortune or misfortune at their own private pace, like a clock during a thunderstorm."

Robert Louis Stevenson
Newgatenovelist

Hi Pam,

Good catch! I'll have to come back to the preface.

Section 1 is ready for PL:
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/maryprince_01_prince_128kb.mp3 (19.27)

Erin
Off LV 25-28 March.
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

Hi Erin,

Section 1 is PL OK.

Gripping!

Pam

Robert Louis Stevenson