COMPLETE The jolly Parisiennes by Émile Zola -ck

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

the first two chapters of mademoiselle flavie are pl ok! interesting story, and really great reading :)
Carolin
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

and the rest of the story is also pl ok :D really nice, i didnt expect a happy end!
Carolin
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Carolin,

May I try the jolly Parisseanneans (or however you spell it). The chapters look pretty manageable, but if it turns out to be too much to do the whole story, I'll let you know and beg for relief!

MaryAnn
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

great, thank you maryann!

i think you will enjoy the story, but no problem at all if you decide not to record all of it :) thank you!
Carolin
bweston23

Post by bweston23 »

I absolutely adore Zola! I'd love to read 26-30, the Marguerite sections. One of my favorite novelettes of his. I'd like my name to appear as Brandon Weston.

Thanks!
"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." -Marcel Proust
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Great choice :D thank you!
Carolin
bweston23

Post by bweston23 »

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." -Marcel Proust
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Thank you brandon! :thumbs:
Carolin
LisaR

Post by LisaR »

Full disclosure--this is my first PL, and i'm not a tech wiz, so Carolin, please step in if i'm giving Brandon poor guidance!

Hi Brandon. Good reading! :clap: I do have a couple of PL Notes to give you later today (left my notes at home), but they basically involve a couple of word misreads. There is an issue with the Volume of your files though, and i have those notes handy and want to get that info to you in case you are working on your recordings this fine Saturday. :D

Do you use Checker program to check the Volume? We are aiming for a volume of 89.0 dB for the file. All three of your submitted files fall below the acceptable 86-92 dB range. I combed through your files visually and noticed that each of these files has at least one "punched" word. It is almost impossible to avoid this when you are reading with any kind of expression in your voice. But these loud spikes are probably preventing you from being able to use the Amplify function to raise the volume of the rest of the file. What i usually do while i'm editing my own readings, is to keep an eye out for any large spikes, and when i see one, i Select just that word and use the Amplify function to reduce it a bit.

I suggest you reduce the volume of these specific words in your three submitted files:

Sect26 6:19 "Death", 10:42 "Dead", 11:34 "Yes"

Sect27 there are a few, but i think the main culprit is 12:06 "Bound"

Sect28 1:08 "Carrots"

And then run each file through Checker again to see how much you need to Amplify each file to bring the volume up to acceptable level.

I'll get those couple of word-change PL notes to you later today.
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Thank you lisa!

Brandon, let us know if you need any help. You neednt aim for perfection though so dont worry :D
Carolin
LisaR

Post by LisaR »

Yeah sorry about that, Brandon. I thought our files needed to be in that golden volume range, but i was wrong, and since i had absolutely no concern with the volume while i was listening to your files for Sections 26-28, there is no need to change them.

The one word you might want to change, because it makes a difference to the sentence, is in Section 26, at [1:22]. You say "subsided", should be "subsisted". But even then, the reader would have to be paying really close attention to pick up on the inconsistency. So i'm going to give Sections 26 to 28 a PL OK. (And if you decide you want to change any of the files, you just re upload them and post here, and i'll have a quick check of them.

Thanks for being my Proof Listening guinea pig, Brandon! Good reading, and i am looking forward to hearing the rest of your story!

~Lis.
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Thank you lisa! :thumbs:

The volume is a somewhat difficult thing, and not all admins treat it in the same way during cataloging. If a section is within the range, thats fine for sure. If it is outside of the range, it depends :)

we can amend the volume slightly during cataloguing, so if it is a little above, thats fine, we can bring it down a little. If it is much above, there is a risk of clipping, which distorts the sound and cannot be fixed properly. So this needs to be addressed.

If the volume is low this is a bigger problem. Lower volume is often more noticeable for listeners because it is harder to understand. Also we can hardly bring volume up during cataloguing, so the reader needs to edit this manually. Plus after amplifying, the background noise needs looking at again because it often also becomes more noticeable.

this is just for background to show that it is somewhat difficult for all of us :) thank you :thumbs:
Carolin
bweston23

Post by bweston23 »

Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Thank you :thumbs:
Carolin
LisaR

Post by LisaR »

Sect 26, PL OK.
Sect 29, PL OK.
Sect 30, PL OK.

Volumes are all below the optimal range, just for your information.

Thanks!
~Lis.